Sen. Paul has his own Obamacare debacle
January 5th, 2014
11 months ago

Sen. Paul has his own Obamacare debacle

Washington (CNN) - It seems everyday Americans aren’t the only ones suffering through a disastrous rollout of Obamacare; politicians are, too.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week” that he’s had trouble signing up his own family through the Kentucky state health exchange.

“I tried to get my son signed up through the Kentucky exchange, you know, the one Democrats have said is so good, and I have here my son's Medicaid card. We didn't try to get him Medicaid,” Paul said.

Kentucky is the only state that voted for Gov. Mitt Romney in the 2012 election that created its own health exchange, and Democrats have repeatedly touted its effectiveness.

“I'm trying to pay for his insurance, but they automatically enrolled him in Medicaid. For a month they wouldn't talk to us because they weren't sure he existed. He had to go down to the welfare office, prove his existence, then the next thing we know we get a Medicaid card,” Paul said.

The Affordable Care Act site is still having issues. A senior Obama administration official tells CNN senior White House correspondent Jim Acosta that some Medicaid enrollees are having issues showing up in the system, in part because of problems with healthcare.gov.

But Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-New York, said despite all the negative Obamacare talk over the past few months, New York is one state that has fared well, and he suspects public opinion will start turning a corner.

“We're ahead of projections. And I hear from people left and right, 'I'm getting much better health care now than I had before.' That's going to start happening around the country,” Schumer said.

And it’s not just New York, but the country as a whole that’s benefiting from Obamacare, argued Gene Sperling, director of the National Economic Council, on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

"This week is the first time in our country where 129 million people do not have to fear their premiums will be spiked because they have a pre-existing condition like asthma or high blood pressure,” Sperling said.

Still, Paul has been an outspoken opponent of Obamacare.

“This is really an unfolding disaster. I don't think it gets better anytime soon," Paul said.

CNN Senior White House correspondent Jim Acosta contributed to this report.

Filed under: Health care • Healthcare • Obama administration • Obamacare • Rand Paul
  1. Gurgyl

These idiots better stop saying Obamacare–it is a Law, now. Just recite Benghazi, Obamacare–takes no where. Idiots.

January 5, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  2. Name

They will say anything because of their hatred

January 5, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. HenryMiller

“I'm trying to pay for his insurance, but they automatically enrolled him in Medicaid."

There's a point in incompetence when it starts looking deliberate. In the case of Obamacare, I really am starting to believe that at least part of the intent is to force as many people as possible into Medicaid.

January 5, 2014 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. tammyk tammy

Why does this report not include the age of his son? If the son is not being included under the family's policy, then he must be 26 or older. I guess the kid forgot to check the I Have a Rich Daddy Who Will Be Paying For My Coverage box. And surprise, surprise Senator Paul, welfare office does actually require identification to prove a person is a U.S. Citizen before receiving benefits. That certainly take the wind out of the Repug's mantra of claiming Democrats are giving away kazillions of dollars in welfare benefits to illegals. Maybe your KID should do like the rest of us and get a job with benefits or hold true to the Repug ideal and take his chances by going without insurance.

January 5, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. king

here are these folks screaming about government too big, then when this president rejected the dems government single payer plan and adopted mitt Romney private insurance plan. they still are complaining. would they complain just the same if they were to succesfully privatize social security, medicare and medicaid. its amazing because they keep skipping around the issue. obamacare is a private insurance plan, this is what the repubs want and not what the dems wanted. the dems swallowed their pride and accepted obamacare, yet the capitalist repubs rejects the privatized obamacare. someone tell me what i am missing here.

January 5, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. Mike Texoma

Time for a new tact, Rand. You are losing what little credibility you had.

January 5, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. Norma Vessels

Rand Paul, you just want to fuss. That's all you and Mitch McConnell are good for. You certainly haven't helped Kentucky any. Why are we paying you so much money just so you can complain about our President, and our Government, when you don't do a darn thing to help.

January 5, 2014 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. ejhickey

good idea to have a back up plan to pay medical bills like a few hundred thousand in cash. if you don't have this type of back up after the stock markets great run, it is your own fault

January 5, 2014 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Luther Brixton

Shorter Rand Paul: I have no Obamacare debacle story. I just want to be in the news.

January 5, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. RonL

Frankly, I believe there is more to this story than Senator Paul is telling us. You know there is a fine line between telling the WHOLE truth and presenting a his- story that benefits your dislike of something. Having said that, I have had problems with many other systems (private and government ran) because of some temporary glitch in the system or because of my unfamiliarity with the process. This system is only 3 months old and it is attempting to handle a MASSIVE amount of data, THERE WILL BE some problems for another 6 months at least. I am still waiting for a viable alternative to the ACA from the Republicans. It is always easier to criticize than to come up with something that WORKS!!!

January 5, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. alex

Why does it seem that the only people who are having trouble signing up are repubs? I mean, we know they don't believe in science, global warming or evolution. They have a really hard time with cause and effect, like you shutdown the government and the economy tanks, or no, corporate welfare really does not create more jobs. I'm really starting to think it's more of an issue with their ability to think critically, and not really the website. Rand Paul – the only guy in Kentucky who can't figure out how to enroll.

January 5, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. don in albuquerque

Any thing Randy says I would have to see for myself before I believed it. That would include the sun shining.

January 5, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. pk

Yep! Same thing happened to me! I feel your pain. Glad I'm healthy (for now) and my annual exams aren't due until 2015. I had a GREAT Individual Plan and great doctors that I couldn't keep after all. The whole thing sucks, at least as far as I am concerned...and I'm 60 years old...

January 5, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Name

I don't believe Schumer has had people tell him those things....

January 5, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Marie MD

As far as I am personally concerned I hope you need medical attention real soon and you don't have insurance. Let's see how you like it if you live through whatever is wrong with you because lack of medical help.

January 5, 2014 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. wendel

I guess paul doesn't have time to fix his own state roll out. Much easier to blame the president. Maybe his kid is on welfare???

January 5, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. Robb

Do you want a senator who is too incompetent to fill out a basic form. Makes you think twice. If he can't do that he can't be capable to do much else. Sad.

January 5, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  18. I OpT OUT

I live in Kentucky and only make 36k a year with a family of 3 and a child support tab of $600 a month for 1 kid ( nobody counts or credits me this for anything, I'm not eligible for any help period) and obamacare wants $800 a month from me. I don't smoke. I'm 32. W t f? This is b.s. I'm gonna file exempt on my w4 and this year and go from there. I refuse to support this garbage govt any longer...

January 5, 2014 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. rosethornne

Bullpucky.
    Or, considering Paul is from Kentucky, horsepucky.

January 5, 2014 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  20. fuzz

I think id rather hear an independent review from someone who hasnt wanted this to be doomed from the start and from those who thought it was successful before it began...because cnn and fox sure as heck has their own agendas.

January 5, 2014 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  21. badtobone

I know in my way case Paul hit the nail on the head

January 5, 2014 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |