January 6th, 2014
11 months ago

Carney debuts new beard at press briefing

(CNN) – Things looked a little different at the White House Monday.

The formerly clean-shaven Press Secretary Jay Carney returned from vacation, unveiling new stubble at the press briefing, much to the delight of the White House press corps who teased the spokesman for his more trendy look.

One reporter yelled, "What happened?" to which Carney laughed and explained that his wife, Claire Shipman, a correspondent for ABC, likes his new look.

"This is actually an homage to Mark Knoller," Carney said, referring to the longtime CBS News White House Correspondent who sports a much fuller beard.

Knoller tweeted in response, "Finally, I'm a fashion trendsetter."

CNN White House Correspondent Jim Acosta spoke to host Wolf Blitzer about the briefing, noting Carney's now striking similarity to "The Situation Room" host.

"I used to have a beard that color but that was a while ago," Blitzer said, questioning how long Carney would keep up the look.

Twitter also lit up, weighing in on the press secretary's new style, which quickly earned its own Twitter handle: @JayCarneyBeard.

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Jay Carney • White House
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Wolf rocks the neanderthal look better.

January 6, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. just saying

he still looks ike the same old liar to me.

January 6, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  3. The REAL Truth...

Seriously ????
    We're reduced to Carney's new beard for news of the day? ??

January 6, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Knoller, my eye. He's after Wolf Blitzer's job.

January 6, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama

"Stay indoors my dear friend. I hear that this polar inversion thingy is keeping you and your fellow MInnesotans in 30-40 below weather."

I can do without it, that's for sure! Thanks, though, for the good thoughts.

January 6, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. Tommy G

The beard helps hide that long Pinnocio nose of his!

January 6, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. Gurgyl

@just saying, you mean just like Newt, Mitt, Lindsey, or John?

January 6, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Tampa Tim

Just – I think you have mistaken Carney for Ari Fleischer. Now there was a liar.

January 6, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Notice the specs that him and Wolf have on. Maybe this is a swipe at CNN to show a younger version of Wolf before CNN became so biased.

January 6, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"Congrats to Jay Carney for finally hitting puberty."

Says the chubby conservative cherub that is still awaiting his own.

January 6, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. Tony D

If I worked fro this corrupt administration I'd be trying to disguise myself as well. What next? Sun glasses during the briefings?

January 6, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Tampa Tim

Tommy – Love that cartoon humor of yours.

January 6, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. BLKvotingAmerican

LOL, he actually looks nice with his beard. WAY TO GO Jay!

January 6, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  14. Silence DoGood

The first act of an evil Socialist Tyrant is to encourage facial hair in his staff.

January 6, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. shorething

Because Jay Carney having a beard is a perfect distraction as to how much taxpayer funds will be used to throw Michelle Obama a birthday party. I have to skip meals daily to make student loan payments and healthcare, while I see my tax dollars wasted on the Obama's who do nothing to help anyone but themselves.

January 6, 2014 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. Harold Read

New face... Same old lies.

January 6, 2014 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Tampa Tim

Shore – Did you get a government loan for schooling? Wow, you got an education and now you don't want to pay back the money

January 6, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Tampa Tim

I am thinking that shore could get a job as spokesperson for the something for nothing gooper crowd.

January 6, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Get used to IT tea potty! 3 more yrs to spew ur hate @Obama

Attack of the beards! Just when is Darryl Issa the insurance fraud gonna start issuing subpoenas for Carney's beard to be shaved?!

Dont worry it's Obama's fault!!!!

January 6, 2014 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  20. Tampa Tim

When a bagger drives his Vespa into the back of a waste management truck, he will be glad he signed up for the ACA.

January 6, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  21. sam america

when I first saw the Headline about Carney's "New Beard", I just assumed he had a new wife. - Turns out it's actual face hair - That might do the trick tho'.

January 6, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. just asking

bad move jay... it is going to be much, much tougher getting all that egg off your face now! bwahahahahaha!!!

January 6, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. Rick McDaniel

The beard didn't improve his presentation of Obama's lies, at all.

January 6, 2014 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. Deathstalker74

Same liar, different look.

January 6, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |