Sen. Lindsey Graham's plane makes safe emergency landing
January 6th, 2014
3 months ago

Sen. Lindsey Graham's plane makes safe emergency landing

(CNN) – A commuter flight carrying Sen. Lindsey Graham to Washington was forced to return to South Carolina on Monday where it made an emergency landing, the lawmaker tweeted.

The South Carolina Republican tweeted the experience after ExpressJet Flight 5740 returned to Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport about 30 minutes after takeoff for Washington.

The Federal Aviation Administration confirmed the incident, saying a cockpit indicator showed a possible problem with plane’s right engine.

Graham tweeted that the engine was making a “strange sound” before the pilot declared an emergency.

The plane landed safely at about 3 p.m. ET.

Graham spokesman Kevin Bishop said the Senator sought a different flight to Washington for the first votes of the New Year.

Graham tweeted:

CNN's Mike Ahlers, Leslie Bentz and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Lindsey Graham
  1. Middle Ground

Well, I'm glad there was no crash and nobody was hurt. BUT....his sorry butt should have flown in on Sunday so he was ready to work early on Monday. It's not like he hasn't had any time off lately. I bet he also flies out on Fridays. So what do we get - maybe 3 days of work out of him and the rest of our overpaid 'industrious leaders'? Geeeez. Full-time taxpayer funded wages for part-time hours.

January 6, 2014 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Smitty

Let me get this right Grahm is flying commercial, and later this month we will send Air Force 1 to go back and get Mrs Obama ??? Flying again at the tax payers expense, my guess this will cost 1 mil ??? Not a good example of leadership. Boy you just cant make this stuff up, more wasted funds.

January 6, 2014 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"The plane landed safely at about 3 p.m. ET."

It is always a good day when a plane lands safely no matter who is on board at the time.

Hey, Dominican mama. Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your "polar vortex" comment, but for whatever reason I was not allowed to discuss the weather here in Minnesota. At the time of your post, we were reaching our high of minus 13. Tonight looks to be the worst of it and by week's end we will be back in our swimsuits basking in 32 degrees above zero complaining how hot it is.

I probably should have had an inkling this polar blast was coming this year when we celebrated fishing opener wading out into the slushy shoreline in our hip waders - the lake still frozen as it was: a first in my lifetime.

Ah, well. No doubt it'll be awhile before I can be found sitting on my dock, book in my lap, drink in hand, watching the boats pass by. You keep warm as well ... yes?

January 6, 2014 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Maybe "somebody" is telling him to stay in SC and drink some of that mint tea on his porch.

January 7, 2014 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

No comment....which says it all doesn't it?

January 7, 2014 08:05 am at 8:05 am |