McCain 'looking very seriously' at sixth Senate run
January 7th, 2014
8 months ago

McCain 'looking very seriously' at sixth Senate run

(CNN) – While a majority of members in Congress are focusing on the 2014 midterm elections, one Senator is looking ahead toward his potential 2016 re-election plans.

Sen. John McCain said he is still "looking very seriously" at a sixth Senate run in 2016 during an interview on NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" Monday night.

"I think there is a lot going on. I'm at the top of my game so I'm very happy to have the chance," McCain said.

He will be 80 years old on Election Day in November 2016.

In October, he also said he was "seriously thinking" about running for another term.

The Arizona Republican easily held his seat in the 2010 election against Democrat challenger Rodney Glassman. He faced a more challenging contest leading up to that in the GOP primary against former Rep. J.D. Hayworth.

Hayworth accused McCain of not being a true conservative, driving McCain to move to the right on some issues. He was also forced to spend $20 million in the primary campaign.

McCain was asked by Leno if he would consider putting his hat in the ring again for another presidential run. McCain pointed to the advice of an "old beloved friend," former Democratic Rep. Morris Udall, who ran for president in 1976.

"After he finally lost he stood up and said 'The people have spoken – the bastards,'" the 2008 GOP presidential nominee said. "So may I say, the people have spoken."

McCain did indicate who he thinks might be a better fit to lead the Republican Party in the next presidential election.

"I think we have a lot of governors, a number of Republican governors. I like Chris Christie. I like Bobby Jindal," he said. "I like a number of those people that succeeded in states with both Republicans and Democrats."

Filed under: 2016 • Jay Leno • John McCain • Senate
  1. Tampa Tim

Please John, don't run. Join Lieberman, lobby for defense contractors, become a Fox anchor, or go home to your family. Even you don't know what you stand for any more.

January 7, 2014 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  2. dee

Asked a follow up question about the Russkies taking over the liquor stores in Phoenix – McCain was heard to say that they should all be bombed, and all the rogue leaders of Phoenix should be deposed.

January 7, 2014 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Sen. McCain really needs to call it quits in the Senate. He's been there so long that Senate Rules say that he can no longer chair any of the existing committees, probably because he's done it already. At best, McCain can only be junior member. He's known this for years. It's likely that Senate Rules were a part of the reason he ran for POTUS in 2008.

January 7, 2014 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Time for McCain to step aside, and allow a true conservative to run.

January 7, 2014 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  5. Gurgyl

Very pathetic. These idiots are the national hampers of progress–and uneducated idiots too.

January 7, 2014 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Sandy

I suppose the people of Arizona will gladly re-elect this American traitor to another term.

January 7, 2014 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

"New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie an Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal have long been thought to be contemplating 2016 presidential runs, but neither governor has confirmed those plans"

CNN certainly does love to bring up Bobby Jindal and Chris Christie. What they to do with John McCain, though? McCain can certainly think he's teasing us by suggesting he might be running again but I would suggest he retire and let another GOPer hog the media cameras for the next three decades. McCain's mavericky days are long over and way too over done as it is.

January 7, 2014 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

Sandy wrote:

---------------
    Why is McCain a "traitor" to you?

January 7, 2014 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    My question is and remains: why did John McCain sit out the 2012 election? You'd think having unleashed Darlin' Sarah upon the fevered tea-infested GOP base he would be a shoo-in for the conservative vote.
    And isn't that what being a Republican is these days? A factless, greedy, ultra-conservative dispensing fear and division to a hate-filled base.
    I would've thought that McCain would've taken another shot at the title as opposed to letting the baton be ripped from his greedy, crippled hand.
    The Koch brothers had other plans to back another horse I guess, so the senate it is....yet again for McShame.

***Hope you're staying inside and warm my friend. This weather pattern is no joke.***

January 7, 2014 10:12 am at 10:12 am |