Measure to extend unemployment benefits advances in Senate
January 7th, 2014
8 months ago

Measure to extend unemployment benefits advances in Senate

(CNN) - A $6.4 billion plan to extend unemployment insurance benefits to eligible workers for another three months cleared a key procedural hurdle in the Senate on Tuesday. Sixty senators voted to move ahead with debate on the measure - the exact number required for debate to go forward.

Filed under: Congress • Senate • unemployment
  1. Eloise DuBois

I know personally some of these folks will not truly seek employment until it truly runs out. It is an expensive game for taxpayers. We need to stop playing it.

January 7, 2014 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Malory Archer

Cnez

Wow. This gov wont fix anything. Have they ever thought people would go back to work if they had too. They would find work but why should they if they keep getting benefits. Unbelievable

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your post MIGHT have merit were it not for the fact that for every three people looking for a job, there's one job available. What do you think should become of the two who don't get the job – should they just die quickly?

January 7, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. Malory Archer

just saying

billy
    who's payin for it?

my 5 year old, and likely her future children as well. it is the democrat way. they don't pay it forward, they saddle it forward. it is the ultimate in taxation without representation.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You mean like current generations who JUST RECENTLY paid off the cost of World War II, and are still footing the bill for Vietnam?

January 7, 2014 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. S.B. Stein

Until we get job training programs that get people trained with new skills for the new advance manufacturing, many people will still be unemployeed. Knowing what skills are needed out there is important so that places can train people to move into these fields. There needs to be a way for people to move to where the jobs are as well.

@Jerry - If major companies would be a little more patriotic and support the local worker with a job that they can survive on, that would make things better here. Most people on unemployment benefits don't want to be there. What are you doing to create jobs?

January 7, 2014 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. tarura

Shame on GOP for holding free money hostage to fiscal responsibility.

SHAME ! How dare you expect the jobless to seek work !

January 7, 2014 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Sniffit

"why are so many people still unemployed 4.5 years after the recession has ended??? answer: the failed policies of obama and the democrats who have run the show now for 7 years."

Right. Strut like a peacock for the base, bragging that you've blocked and obstructed everything and forced the Stimulus to be reduced in size to the point that experts were warning it would not be as effective as it could be, then run election campaigns touting participation in hostage taking, gov't shutdowns and debt limit brinksmanship....and then turn around and pretend Obama got to implement whatever policies he wanted. Yawn.

You're preaching to the choir you know. Day in, day out. The only people who believe your malarkey are the ones who want to hear it in the first place. People aren't as fooled as you seem to think by the "break it then blame it on the other guy" strategy. Congressional Republicans and Bush still take more blame in the polls than Obama for the recession, the state of the economy and the slow recovery.

January 7, 2014 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. Herbygee

To all those who consider extended UEB 'welfare," shame on you. If you actually read about the situation, the recipients are overwhelmingly hard-working people who cannot find work despite their best efforts and need a bit of help to keep their heads above water. I work as an independent contractor now, but have been in that position and tell those judgmental fools to keep their opinions to tmenselves.

January 7, 2014 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. KK

Extend these people's unemployment. They lost their job due to NO FAULT of their own. This is being cruel. Haters are the ones who wish they could draw.

January 7, 2014 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Silence DoGood

@Jerry "We need to get these free spending Democrats out of Congress before they completely Bankrupt this country!!..."
    -------
    In actuality federal spending has steadily increased no matter who was in the white house or congress. It actually leveled out a bit with Obama in office. Check the official numbers. Or keep scaring people by making stuff up. Employees and employers pay into this insurance in large part.

January 7, 2014 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  10. Malory Archer

Eloise DuBois

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They must not be very bright as anyone on UE is required to submit the names of employers with whom they applied during the past week. If they don't submit names, they don't get paid. If they submit names without actually applying and the state checks up on them, they'll face felony UE fraud charges and it's all downhill from there.

January 7, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. jinx9to88

GOP wants this to be offset with spending cuts, OK start with the defense budget. I want my tax dollars going to helping people, I don't want my tax dollars building another tank or jet that we don't need or already have to many of them.

January 7, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. Silence DoGood

@Eloise DuBois
    -------
    I was one of the folks who was laid off, happy to have my insurance paying out since I paid the premiums, and worked hard to find a job. I think you need more honest friends.

January 7, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. Jeremy R

Some of the comments here make me sick. My first job was mixing mud and carrying block for my dad when I was only 13. I have worked and put myself through school since I was 18. Worked every day never asking anything from anyone. I was laid off from my job 1 year ago this week. I have been looking for work since . Applied for almost 300 jobs. I have even had people in interview tell me that after reviewing my resume that they would be afraid that I would take their job. I have had to go back to school at 40 to retrain in a more technical field . It's so easy to sit back and make those comments. Some people are trying to milk the system but alot are trying but there still aren't any jobs out there. Walk a mile. Then speak

January 7, 2014 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. sonny chapman

Good & Moral acts are also the smart, & economically right thing to do. It's the Universal Law of the Creator. When humans do what He wants rather than what WE want, things work out better. Works re: the Environment too.

January 7, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. Sniffit

Boehner is already setting up the demands that this be paid for by cutting assistance to those who need it in other areas. Cutting assistance to those who don't need it? Not so much.

January 7, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. Malory Archer

tarura

Shame on GOP for holding free money hostage to fiscal responsibility.

SHAME ! How dare you expect the jobless to seek work !

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

January 7, 2014 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Silence DoGood

@Malory Archer
    Cnez

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-------------
    Oh wait, that is a Disney movie.

January 7, 2014 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. Sniffit

LOL! And McConnell demanded the 1 year extension of UI be bought by giving the GOP/Teatrolls a 1 year delay of the ACA's individual mandate. It's like a meaningless knee-jerk reflex gesture for them at this point.

"Excuse me, sir, there's some legislation on the table."

"Ah yes, well, please convey my demands that we repeal or disrupt the ACA in some fashion in order to get my vote."

"Don't you want to know what it's about or what it does so you can vote on the merits of the legislation itself?"

"Nope. I'll just make something up later if it turns out to be a bad idea not to have voted for it..then blame the other guys for it. Haven't you been paying attention?"

January 7, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  19. Greg In Arkansas

Funny how people think that "one-size-fits-all" when it comes to unemployment benefits. Blame the person that lost their job because they didn't take a different job....I have news for you.....a job has to be offered before one can accept it. I got laid off at 61 years old, sent out hundreds of resumes, filled out countless applications and only had 3 interviews in 20 months....and...I have a college degree, experience in three career fields and an impressive background.....but I was overqualified for most of the "jobs" people said I should have gotten.
    I finally got a job paying 10K less than my previous job....BUT I didn't have to dump my home on the suppressed housing market, walk away from my equity, give the house back to the bank and make my neighbors' home values decline......so....yes, extended benefits helped ME....AND...my NEIGHBORS, maybe even YOU if you are one of my neighbors

January 7, 2014 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. Fair is Fair

Hey... I feel bad for the long-term unemployed. But when does it end? When do the extensions stop? For that matter, do they EVER stop?

January 7, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"Shame on GOP for holding free money hostage to fiscal responsibility.

SHAME ! How dare you expect the jobless to seek work !"
    ====

Yeah yeah, we get it. It's all contextual for you guys. When it comes to UI, the unemployed are all lazy, feckless, mooching, layabout welfare queens who we should despise and for whom we should have zero sympathy BUT when it comes to the release of unemployment and job creation figures, the unemployed are all good, honest, hard-working, industrious folks ready, willing and able to employ themselves at multiple jobs if necessary but who are simply hapless victims of the economy under Obama. Which is it? I'd ask you to make up your mind, but I fear the request is moot.

January 7, 2014 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"What do you think should become of the two who don't get the job – should they just die quickly?"

Clearly, those 2 are just illegals and should self-deport. They're only here because the Dems lured them into the country on buses with promises of free pizza and cellphones in exchange for their fraudulent votes. Something something derp.

January 7, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

"If you smile, and believe in the right God, and whistle a happy tune, the corporate world will make a job just for you!
    Oh wait, that is a Disney movie."

Meanwhile, in the real world many who have lost their EU benefits will be struggling just to pay their heating bill for the next few months. Apparently the GOP can't be bothered with mother nature wrecking havoc on those already struggling due to the fallout of oversea's job outsourcing, corporate profits, 401Ks, and simple greed gone out of control.

Must be nice for GOPers who live in a never-never land filled with golden buckets and rainbows ...yes? Especially the Rand Paul's of America ... wherein most of these comments from the right are generated by.

January 7, 2014 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. Hector Slagg

So,
    Where those Shovel Jobs, anyway?

January 7, 2014 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  25. rs

You gotta love the GOP- "Don't help unemployed Americans" they cry. "It only encourages them to do nothing" they lie- obviously ignoring the inconvenient fact that one must show they are looking for work to collect unemployment and ignoring the damage not helping these people will do to the economy (their actual goal).

Meanwhile the twins (McCain and Graham) are spearheading a GOP movement to have our troops go back into Iraq! What will that cost us all?

That $40 billion a year that goes to big oil (as a stimulus no less!)- yup, the GOP love that socialist corporate welfare!

Unbelievable- and the Democrats will beat them senseless for being cold-hearted and anti-American with these facts heading into the election.

January 7, 2014 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |