Poll: Republicans more than Democrats looking forward to midterm elections
January 7th, 2014
8 months ago

Poll: Republicans more than Democrats looking forward to midterm elections

(CNN) - A national survey released Tuesday shows just over half of Americans are looking forward to this fall's congressional elections, and indicates Republicans are more excited to head to the polls in November than Democrats.

As campaigning picks up in the new year for the midterm elections, the Pew Research Center survey shows 63% of Republicans are anticipating the congressional elections, compared to 53% of Democrats. Fifty-one percent of all respondents said they are "especially looking forward to" the elections, with 49% saying they are not.

Pew notes a similar disparity between the partisan levels of excitement today and four years ago during the 2010 midterm elections, when a Republican wave gave the GOP back control of the House. The overall level of anticipation for the elections also remains the same, 51% today to 50% in a Pew survey in January 2010.

Americans' excitement for the 2014 elections trails anticipation for next month's Winter Olympics, at 58%, and the Super Bowl, at 55%, but beats enthusiasm for the upcoming Academy Awards and this summer's World Cup, at 24% and 22% respectively.

The poll was conducted by telephone from January 2-5 among 1,005 adults and has a sampling error of plus or minus 3.7% points.

Filed under: Congress • Poll
  1. GOP=ROTTEN

Republicans living in a fool's paradise.

January 7, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

I don't know why republicans are looking forward to losing seats this November. Governorships are going to be lost as well. The silent majority will make our voices heard.

January 7, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. O'drama ya Mama

Come on Democrats, dont be lazy like you were in 2010. Democrats lost big back then because they were still flyin high after Obamas victory. Dont let that happen again, we've already seen the consequences when Democrats dont show up at the polls in full force.

January 7, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Tampa Tim

As a democrat, I am looking forward to a new governor, and Rick Scott going home.

January 7, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. sonny chapman

The Repub. turn at governing might be short lived. Their "Ideas" for moving this Country along are ZERO. Sorry, they do talk about the Good Old Days for some Americans when Reagan was ruler.

January 7, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

This time Rethuglicans will not win in house, and senate. They shut-down the government, they wanted to defund Healthcare USA deserves, they want war with Iran, their gun policy is crazy., etc. These GOP thugs are gone to dogs for fifty years or so. They bribed insurance companies to cancel policies. USA knows, world knows.

January 7, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

O'drama ya Mama

-------------------------------------------------
    So true, so true.
    Get out there and vote Dems, the country's future and everything our President has yet to accomplish lies completely in your hands.

January 7, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  8. Sheila

that's right – that's because the election winners will hinge on the ACA – and, it will be a republican win . and they already know it.....You could not drag half of thos illegals & welfare people, nt to mention all the bums, out to vote....They don't know any better, they think that since it's "no big deal" till the nxt national election...How do you think Obama won ?? Certainly not from the people who keep up with politics, or are up to current events....If it's not a black person running for an election, they will continue to sleep on the couch

January 7, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Insofar as the poll is concerned, I recall Republicans being really excited about getting to the polls in 2012 and making our President Obama a one-term president.
    Their enthusiasm really paid off for them didn't it President Romney?!

January 7, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

This article is very misleading and could actually be considered as a red herring to draw attention from the need to replace all republicans, now enjoying big pay, big benefits, big power and big ego's. They need to be out of work, homeless, destitute in every way. They need this reality check to see how good they could be at finding these all too talked about jobs they believe exist. They also need to be taken from any and all government protective rolls, as they are none too sympathetic for those already on said rolls. In other words they need to be taken down a notch or two, with their faces ground into the sand for good measure. Personally I look forward to the elections for one reason and one reason only. I look forward to voting a straight democratic ticket, and doing so with complete malice toward those on the other side of the aisle. There's going to be a lot of hatred vented during the next election. Get ready for it and watch the crying republicans standing around with their mouths open, finger up the nose, wondering what went wrong. Can't wait.

January 7, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. Truth Hurts

I'm voting party line all the way – sick of what my old party is doing. (I was Democrat until our family had our insurance cancelled & my wife hasn't been able to find a job in over a year now)
    Obama was elected TWICE, we voted both times!! He's been in for FIVE YEARS now, and it hasn't gotten better – IT'S WORSE!!!!
    This country is on a crash course for bankruptcy if something isn't done, soon. I don't care what any of you say or think, my opinion is that he's done a terrible job, (lies & scandals), and I'm SICK of it!!!
    The Govt shutdown – because Obama & Democrats REFUSED to negotiate! That wasn't Tea Party folks, that was YOUR Party doing it......read up and quit believing all the mainstream BS, the truth is out there – read multiple news outlets from both sides of the fences and make your own conclusions.
    Government doesn't care about you – it cares about growing to feed itself.

January 7, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

"...63% of Republicans are anticipating the congressional elections, compared to 53% of Democrats. ..."
    ------------------------
    Scary numbers, right? Nah. Seeing how Democrats far outnumber Republicans, it's practically a toss-up. They were saying the same sort of stuff back in 2012. But, Democrats must actually turn out and vote, which they didn't do in 2010.

January 7, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Truth Hurts
    Government doesn't care about you – it cares about growing to feed itself.
    ----------------------------------------–
    I've never read a moderate or left leaning comment from you. You're not fooling us. You were a republican 5 years ago and you're a republican today. Remind me again where the Dow & unemployment rate was at 1/20/2009.........

January 7, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. just asking

support for democrats is way, way down in every single demographic group and especially with independents. of course, obama winning liar of the year (really of the century) was the key. Obmaa and the democrats have lost the trust of the people because of their endless lies about obamacare. and then there is the total failure with jobs and the economy. 5 years and still record unemployment. and all we ever hear is nothing but blaming others.

the american people have seen and heard enough, 7 years of democrats and 5 years of obama and the country is a wreck and not getting better. time for a change away from the failed european socialist policies of the democrat party.

January 7, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. just asking

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes
    Remind me again where the Dow & unemployment rate was at 1/20/2009.........
    -–

you mean back when the democrats controlled the house and senate??? (starting in 2007)

and then had total control from 2009-2010???

and still control 2/3 of the government????

it's been a 7 year democrat train wreck! even before the obamacare train wreck left the station.

January 7, 2014 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Sheila

---------------–
    Look, it's another 2012 rerun.

I think if Democrats just keep feeding Republicans social issue, dog bones to chew on, they will pick up more seats.

January 7, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

-Truth Hurts

Government doesn't care about you – it cares about growing to feed itself.
    _____________________
    I don't ever recall you saying anything positive about the President or the Democrats 15-18 months ago, so please drop the play-acting. You have been nothing more than a right-wing shill on here since I started coming on here roughly 5 years ago, so please stop insulting those of us who knwo better. You're entitled to your opinion about issues, but don't try to rewrite your own history.

January 7, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. Hooper

There are few things worse than a boot licking, republican tout that more than likely lives in a hovel or tin can, holding the hand that enslaves them and intends to keep enslaving them, yet they fail to see the problem with their reasoning. Keep licking those boots. Lets see how far you get. IDIOTS.

January 7, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. Tampa Tim

It is a shame we had to borrow all that money to pay for trickle down economics, tax cuts for those who needed it the least, tax breaks for big oil, TARP, unfunded drug programs, unfunded wars, government shut downs, and republican voo doo economics.

January 7, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. Silence DoGood

@Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes
    Truth Hurts
    Government doesn't care about you – it cares about growing to feed itself.
    --------------–
    --------------
    How very "moral" of conservatives to use lies to make a point. "I'm voting party line all the way". Well that is easier than thinking.
    " sick of what my old party is doing". So before ACA he liked the Dems? I challenge him to sing some the old Dems praises. What did he like about the Dems before?

January 7, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Joster

The Democrats refuse to let the Republican party adapt, even as the Republicans grow far more tolerant overall, they refuse to believe they are actually good people. Instead, they pander to quelching any notion that the Republicans have progressed as a party. The Democrats are quickly becoming the Nazis of North America... publicly shaming those who oppose them, and, confident in their shameful conduct.

January 7, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. Sniffit

(I was Democrat until our family had our insurance cancelled & my wife hasn't been able to find a job in over a year now)"

No you weren't. You've been posting here for ages and reciting GOPer/Teatroll talking points verbatim the entire time. And yes, we know very well that "I'm no longer a Dem because I couldn't keep my insurance" is the current fad among Teatroll sockpuppets.

January 7, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. Sniffit

President Romney is excited.

January 7, 2014 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Gurgyl

Listen, nothing wrong with ACA. USA needed it for the last 100 years, which rethuglicans bribed by insurance thugs never did it. Every one knows. World knew too.

January 7, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Silence DoGood

@The Republican Party Is Dead To Me
    "... There's going to be a lot of hatred vented during the next election. Get ready for it and watch the crying republicans standing around with their mouths open, finger up the nose, wondering what went wrong. Can't wait."
    -----------
    They will go the same route as always. It will be a vast government conspiracy, or the public being misinformed, or the voters not believing in the correct religion. When in fact it will just be votes. It will be like falling attendance at conservative churches. There is no conspiracy. There is no War on Christianity. People are changing their attitudes and seeing the loony Radical Right for what they are, and moving on.

January 7, 2014 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |