Houston mayor marries longtime partner
January 17th, 2014
9 months ago

Houston mayor marries longtime partner

(CNN) - Houston mayor Annise Parker married her longtime partner Kathy Hubbard on Thursday at a ceremony in California.

Parker's office said the sunset ceremony took place at a private home in Palm Springs among a small gathering of family and friends. Rev. Paul Fromberg, a family friend from San Francisco, presided over the ceremony.

Thursday marked Parker and Hubbard's 23rd anniversary together.

“This is a very happy day for us,” Parker said in a statement.

“We have had to wait a very long time to formalize our commitment to each other. Kathy has been by my side for more than two decades, helping to raise a family, nurture my political career and all of the other ups and down and life events that come with a committed relationship. She is the love of my life and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life married to her.”

Parker also tweeted: "I am privileged to now be the wife of the woman I have loved for more than 2 decades. I couldn't be happier. We said our vows today.-A"

"Mayor Parker is an extraordinary leader for freedom and justice for all," Rea Carey, Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, said Friday, congratulating the couple and praising Parker's leadership as mayor.

Parker, a Democrat, easily won reelection to her third, two-year term as mayor in November, grabbing more than fifty percent of the vote.

In an interview with CNN Chief National Correspondent John King before her reelection, Parker said she hoped to get married in her home state.

Houston mayoral race a sign of political shift?

"I want to get married in my city, in my state. I'm going to get married in Houston. It'll be in my lifetime, but I don't know when,” she said in August.

While California allows for same-sex marriages, Texas voted in a 2005 to adopt a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

CNN's Marlena Baldacci contributed to this report.

Filed under: Same-sex marriage • Texas
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Congratulations to the happy couple!

January 17, 2014 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. much thunder...little rain

i am sure you made texas proud....

January 17, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  3. vikingwoman

Yay, for Mayor Annise Parker & her wife Kathy Hubbard for being able to finally legalize their longtime relationship, at least in some states! I'm w/her; I think they'll be able to marry in H-Town in 5 yrs or so! They've been committed longer than many straights stay married & some people still want to ban/block their rights to make it legal! Ms. Parker has been tireless in her effort to secure benefits for city employees' domestic partners & successfully abolished the dread/controversial redlight cameras! Score 1 for Civil/Human Rights, even though they had to do it so far from home!!

January 17, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Larry in Houston

too bad they had to go to California to do it.....She's our Mayor, and I'm damn proud of her.....So far, she's doing a fantastic Job, in addition to the fact that she Just won re-election. GO ANNISE !!

To be perfectly honest – between Houston / San Antonio / & Austin – they will most likely stay & vote blue, even though the rest of the state votes red. (not counting the people that are in office, in the Capitol, in Austin)

January 17, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. yolanda

Congrats. Take advantage of AARP card to get discount at IHOP for your reception and Motel 6 for the honeymoon.

January 17, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. vincent

just curious, was the wedding cake a FRUIT cake?

January 17, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. Stuffitu

While the Kenyan village idiot raised my Medicare advantage premium by 177 percent and doubled my co pays, the unabashed democrat liberal progressive media continues to fawn over him because he appaont a black female judge. And. Then they call me a racist because I think he is the most corrupt, incompetent, inept president in history. If you are a hardworking person who pays taxes, you are considered an enemy of the regime.

January 17, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. Kelvin R. Stemplemeister

this make my blooood boil! if this was a good thing, why do sean hannity say it kno good. i'm confoosed!

January 17, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. Silence DoGood

" that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    Their Creator is surely smiling on them. God bless.

January 17, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |