January 20th, 2014
7 months ago

New Jersey Lt. Gov.: Hoboken allegations are 'offensive to me'

(CNN) – New Jersey Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno denied "whole-heartedly" allegations Monday that she gave Hoboken's mayor an ultimatum to support a private redevelopment plan backed by Gov. Chris Christie in order to receive Hurricane Sandy recovery aid.

"Mayor Zimmer's version of our conversation in May of 2013 is not only false but is illogical and does not withstand scrutiny when all of the facts are examined. Any suggestion that Sandy funds were tied to the approval of any project in New Jersey is completely false," she said at a Martin Luther King Jr. holiday event in Union Beach, New Jersey.

Guadagno's remarks were the first time a senior Christie official addressed the charges Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer first made Saturday on MSNBC and detailed to CNN on Sunday.

Zimmer claims that Guadagno told her to support a redevelopment project backed by Christie or lose Sandy recovery funds. Zimmer, a Democrat, also said she was told the threat came directly from the Republican governor.

Hoboken was one of the cities hit hardest by the 2012 hurricane, which ravaged the eastern seaboard, destroying an estimated $100 million worth of property

But Guadagno said Monday such a suggestion is "wholly and completely false."

"Standing in Union Beach as we are today with some of the mayors whose towns were devastated by Sandy, and also being a Sandy victim myself, makes the mayor's allegations particularly offensive to me," she continued.

The lieutenant governor said she thought she had a good relationship with the mayor, saying they had met in Hoboken three months after the May 2013 conversation.

"Frankly I'm surprised that Mayor Zimmer has chosen to mischaracterize a conversation I had with her about development and job creation in Hoboken," she said.

Refusing to take any questions, Guadagno closed her remarks by reiterating that she denies any suggestions that "there was every any condition...on the release of Sandy funds by me."

"I am sure–absolutely sure–that the facts will come out," she said.

Read more about the allegations

- CNN's Chris Frates, Leigh Ann Caldwell and Jason Seher contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. The right wing have lost their damned minds

ChrisM

Easy solution. Have the Lt Gov talk to the Feds and take a polygraph test just like the Mayor of Hoboken did and said she would take the test

January 20, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
    ------------------------------------------------

Exactly..Except you will never hear of any of Christie's people ever submit to one..That says a lot.

January 20, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. The right wing have lost their damned minds

current state of the union

Get the feeling were going to find out soon why Christie hired a legal team? Can't wait to see the contracts he made with the money, the shredder has been working overtime, I'm sure.

January 20, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
    ------------------------------------------–
    No doubt about that..

January 20, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

"Oh for Pete's sakes Malory, everybody is tip-toeing around what most of us are thinking that being that the only reason why we cannot find a direct connect (well except for the Hoboken allegations) to the big guy is because he's not stupid.
    Why would someone who used to be state attorney be dumb enough to leave a paper trail of e-mails, memos etc when all he has to do is state what he wants done?
    I would be shocked if he was sloppy enough to leave something behind that would directly connect him to all of these political strong-arming, but I am not shocked that he has been abusing his power and position in New Jersey."
    --------------------------
    There's something the media hasn't talked about much. I don't know what the law and policy is in New Jersey, but most of the "dirty business" seemed to have been conducted on private email accounts, and I would assume private phones. Many states have laws requiring all state business be conducted using state email accounts and phones, for record purposes. Using private email accounts to administer political justice is what got Palin in trouble.

January 20, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. Ron L

Of course the Lt. Governor would say she is offended by this allegation. But you have to remember the Mayor has already said that the Lt. Governor was going to deny it if the Mayor told anyone about the conversation. Frankly, I lean a little to the Mayor because I believe the Christy staff enjoyed having people afraid of them. Let me make myself clear. I am not sure if the Governor knew anything about this, but I am sure these staff members and the Lt. Governor assumed this kind of behavior was fine, as long as they did not get caught. It was all about power and intimidation.

January 20, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. Bt

If it's false then why did Hoboken only get about $100,000 in aid for a pump and that's it. Hoboken was devastated but got practically no aid and nothing like surrounding towns. Christie's lackeys lying again. Disgusting.

January 20, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |