January 20th, 2014
6 months ago

Palin slams Obama in MLK post

(CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin reposted a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous "I Have A Dream" speech on Monday–and took a swipe against President Barack Obama at the same time.

"Mr. President, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. and all who commit to ending any racial divide, no more playing the race card," she said in a Facebook post Monday, a holiday that marks the civil rights icon's birthday.

While the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee didn't give a specific example of Obama playing the "race card," her comment comes after the President referenced his race in a New Yorker article published over the weekend.

"There's no doubt that there's some folks who just really dislike me because they don't like the idea of a black President," Obama said.

The quote came in a section of the story about his declining poll numbers among white voters over the last year. He also lost the voting demographic by a wide margin in his 2012 re-election bid, the article notes.

According to CNN national exit polls, Obama won only 39% of the white vote.

"Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because I'm a black President," Obama added.

– CNN's Sara Fischer contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Smeagel4T

Ahhh... The GOP zombie is back again.

January 20, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. Sam Wilson

Who cares what she has to say? I do not. I do have to make a comment. Obama has been the biggest divider in our history.

January 20, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. luckytwo

When is this thing called "PALIN" going to disappear. She is a cancer that can not be cured.
    This person is nothing but a BIGOT plan an simple.

January 20, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. Smeagel4T

Palin... the only living brain donor. Oh no, my mistake. There's also Bachmann.

January 20, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

You know. Seeing an article featuring the Wasilia Wahoo makes me realize, I click on this to read it for the same reason I slow down at accident scenes. It is a fascination with the morbid. Like going to a car race, knowing there will probably be a spectacular wreck. So, I clicked to see how the Professional Republican Train Wreck was going to embarrass herself and her party. I could have been worse. She could have actually cited something that never happened (her usual tack) instead of alluding to something that may or may not have happened.

January 20, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain - If you want Congress to actually do something FOR the American people, vote OUT the Repub/tea bag majority

@Jon: "She's a stupid ignorant moron who knows nothing about adversity and what means to be on the outside looking in. I'm just thankful she is not serving as the Vice President. John McCain is a smart guy but WHAT WAS HE THINKING?"

McCain wasn't – he was once again being manipulated by Karl Rove who used McCain's desire to be prez to make him compromise his values and sell his soul to the devil.

January 20, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. rs

freedom
    Absolutely true. He has played the race card since day one – how could he have been elected president if America was so racist? He couldn't have been. It never has had anything to do with the color of his skin – it's all about ideology. People forget that George W. Bush chose Condoleeza Rice as the first black and female Secretary of State. Republicans would have voted for her – and still would vote for her for president. It's – not – about – race.
    ________________
    Hey Freedom, which party has opposed each and every action of this duly elected President of the United States since before he took office?
    Which party unleashed the mentally disturbed "Birthers" to "prove" the same President was somehow illegitimate"?
    Which Party employed the tri-fold hat racists known as the TEA Party (bought and paid for by Texas oil money) to spit upon Black members of the House of Representatives?
    Which Party is using ALEC's fill-in-the-blank laws to end the civil rights legislation of the '60's?
    Which party disenfranchised around 2 million Black voters?

Hello- it is you and the plutocratic toadies of the Right.

January 20, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Brian

Sure - we know Palin is color blind and would never, ever play a race card. CNN, when will you stop giving this pathetic half-governor quitter the time of day?

January 20, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  9. Joe

@ sifto – Umm, when she stops saying stupid things?

January 20, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. davefrompalmsprings

The first time I saw this article, I thought to myself, "Why would Putin slam Obama in MLK Post?"

Then I read it again and thought, "Oh, her." It just goes to show how far off the map she has fallen.

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. Joe

@ sifto – Umm, when she stops saying stupid things?

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

I think those on the left owe Sarah Palin a collective thank-you for these remarks. For Palin has re-invigorated the right wing to refight the old war, the one they've lost twice before. Thanks, Sarah.

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. Kman

LOVE SARAH PALIN. This girl is RIGHT ON about that most divisive fraud we have in the white house!

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. Jim Bob

When 99% of black voters vote for the black candidate, it's more than obvious that race is very important to far too many people...

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Bella

A real shame somebody can make it to her age and be that full of hate while being that dumb.

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. KarmaBurns

Nothing celebrates any holiday better than the airing of the "Ignorance".

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. Truck

When's James Earl Ray days for American patriots?

January 20, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. Jrod2667

Wow... What an idiot... How many times did Palin use the "gender card" during her campaign...? She even stated in one speech that a lot americans won't like her because she's a women....! What a waste of time..!

January 20, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. David

As a minority I think it is funny when people automatically accuse a person of being racist because of their skin color. Every race has racists and the same could be said as to why a lot of people chose to vote Obama. Wouldn't it be fair to say that a lot of people didn't like McCain because he is white?

January 20, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  20. John

Can any body just get her to shut up and go away PLEASE!

January 20, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. Brian

Who is Palin?

January 20, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Louis Merriken

Sarah WHO?????

January 20, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. BB

Sarah Palin never speaks unless she has something hateful to say. She is a NOBODY, people. A Classless big mouth

January 20, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  24. chirp

Ah, the milky wolf-huntress yowls at the moon.

January 20, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. davefrompalmsprings

The first time I saw this article, I wondered, "Why would Putin want to slam Obama in MLK Post?"
    Then I read it again, and said to myself, "Oh, her." How soon one falls off the map!

January 20, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |