Obama to visit Pope Francis in March
January 21st, 2014
8 months ago

Obama to visit Pope Francis in March

(CNN) - President Barack Obama will meet with Pope Francis for the first time on March 27 at the Vatican, the White House announced Tuesday.

Obama's visit with the leader of the Roman Catholic Church will be part of a larger European trip that the President will take that month.

FULL STORY

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

I'm sure the issue of contraception coverage in the ACA is going to be up for discussion. If I were a betting man, I will bet that the Pope doesn't see anything wrong with it. I think he's a realist & recognizes that not all women are the Virgin Mary.

January 21, 2014 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  2. Gurgyl

He is the best pope. I saw him in April.

January 21, 2014 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  3. smith

I wonder if he is going to give Obama a slobbery kiss like the little boy when he first became pope.

January 21, 2014 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

I am not a Catholic, but I certainly appreciate this Pope as a man for (and of) the people of the world.

January 21, 2014 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

If I were POTUS, breaking bread with the Pope would definitely be on my bucket list. If invited, I'd jump at the chance.

January 21, 2014 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  6. Fair is Fair

Gurgyl

He is the best pope. I saw him in April.
    ------–
    Cool... next time you see him, tell him Fair said "Hi".

January 21, 2014 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota and Rudy NYC
    As you know I'm a Catholic but I never really felt one way or another about previous Popes.
    I must admit though to being pleasantly impressed with Pope Francisco.

January 21, 2014 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

"Pope Francisco is aware of modern day challenges to our faith, and his outreach to Catholics, indeed, to Christians is practical, empathetic and inclusive."

It's absolutely refreshing to hear a man of the cloth follow completely the teachings of the Christ.

January 21, 2014 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. rs

But, but, but the Republicans said that Obama was closing diplomatic ties and the Vatican embassy and insulting each and every Catholic in the universe (instantly proven untrue on Google BTW). They even spent an additional $1.4 billion to keep the old embassy open (that old economic "conservatism" at work no doubt) instead of combining with an existing facility- as Mr. Bush proposed in 2007.
    Oh, well, reality, even in small doses is good for the GOP. Bringing them fully into this century might be too great a shock.

January 21, 2014 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    -------------------------------------------------
    Isn't it Lynda?!
    He not only preaches it but he is making sure that his views on how we are to conduct ourselves with our brothers and sisters are making themselves heard in our churches.
    His message of kindness towards each other, and taking care of the least amongst us as one of our main reponsibilities as Christians is coming through in the Sunday morning sermon at my church.

January 21, 2014 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota and Rudy NYC
    I must admit though to being pleasantly impressed with Pope Francisco.
    -------------------------
    Some Popes are more impressive and charismatic than others. I can see Francisco becoming as great as John Paul II.

January 21, 2014 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Tampa Tim

Jeb Bush, the new republican leader, sure got a lot of notoriety for letting his followers think that the embassy at the Vatican was closing because of Obama. That was as bad as Mittens getting liar of the year for stating Jeep was leaving the US. Do you see why Jeb cannot carry FL?

January 21, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. wendel

this will be a very exciting visit. Dispite differences both men have a lot in common as far a equality to discuss.

January 21, 2014 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. Ol' Yeller

"But, but, but the Republicans said that Obama was closing diplomatic ties and the Vatican embassy and insulting each and every Catholic in the universe (instantly proven untrue on Google BTW)"

Yeah, they also said trickle down economics worked, cigarettes aren't bad for you, global warrming is a hoax, the earth is only 6000 years old, evolution schmevolution, and a litany of other things which are just silly.

This Pope rocks.

January 21, 2014 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. emskadittle

Obama heard that the Vatican had a really good golf course

January 21, 2014 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"You have no idea how good it feels to NOT hear my priest/deacon stand at that pulpit alienating and condeming other's lifestyle and life choices, and instead remindig us of our duties towards each other, our families and our communties near and far."

My youngest daughter has gotten herself mixed up with a "mega" church in her community. My other two daughters (and my husband and myself) have been getting some interesting E-mails from her. Her need to explain our "Christian faults" and so on and so forth is a prominent feature in her comments. While we laugh off most of it, it has caused a bit of strain in family relationships. Eventually she and I will have a "conference"; but I have been putting it off hoping this is just a phase she is going through as a new member of a new church whose teachings she is yet unfamiliar with.

January 21, 2014 10:38 am at 10:38 am |