January 23rd, 2014
8 months ago

Huckabee invokes 'libido' in birth control debate

Washington (CNN) - Mike Huckabee urged Republicans to aggressively fight back against Democratic attempts to make female "libido" a campaign issue - language that may inflame the ongoing war of words between Republicans and Democrats over women's health issues.

Addressing a Republican National Committee luncheon in Washington, Huckabee said Thursday Democrats have invented a phony "war on women" in an effort to lure female voters into their fold.

"It is time Republicans no longer accept listening to the Democrats talk about a war on women because the fact is the Republicans don't have a war on women," Huckabee said. "They have a war for women – for them to be empowered to be something other than victims of their gender."

Huckabee said women he knows are "outraged" that Democrats think they are "nothing more than helpless and hopeless creatures whose only goal in life is to have the government provide for them birth control medication. Women I know are smart, educated, intelligent, capable of doing anything anybody else can do."

"Our party stands for the recognition of the equality of women and the capacity of women," he continued. "That is not a war on them it is a war for them. And if the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it."

"Let us take that discussion all across America because women are far more than the Democrats have played them to be and women across America need to stand up and say enough of that nonsense and I think it is time we lead that discussion," he continued.

Huckabee's comments come as the RNC debates a new resolution calling on GOP candidates to frame the abortion debate on their terms in 2014.

Filed under: Health care • Mike Huckabee • RNC
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

Anonymous
    Without a doubt, this is the Number One offensive comment of any Republican ever made regarding women.
    ----------

Oh yes. A new breed in American "pastor-hood". Offend their women; abuse their women, insult their women.

For the life of me, I can't understand this new GOP, or what they think they are gaining.

January 23, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. Econ301

Good old quote:

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” – Sinclair Lewis

January 23, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. chrissy

Oops meant the clown that *said*

January 23, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Proceed Governor!

January 23, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. IA

Sounds like he's on to something. But as for running for POTUS...save your money Mike.

January 23, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  6. Lisa P.

"Our party stands for the recognition of the equality of women and the capacity of women," he continued. "That is not a war on them it is a war for them."
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hilarious! Like I need Huckabee or the big, strong men of the GOP to fight for me. All I ask is that you get the H*ll out of my way! The way Huckabee talks it sounds like what I'll get instead is a pat on the head and an order for coffee. Which binder shall I file myself into, sir?

I suppose I should be pleased that after fifty years even a troglodyte like Mike Huckabee will publicly acknowledge that women *have* libidos. That's progress, I suppose. Who knows - after another fifty years he might even figure out that it takes *two* uncontrolled libidos to create a need for safe, easily accessible abortion procedures. And after another fifty years? Hey, maybe if we gave both libidos all the information they need regarding uncontrolled s-e-x we'd have less need for safe, easily accessible abortion procedures. Two centuries after *the Feminine Mystique* the GOP might even have figured out that if you pay women what they are worth instead of what you can get away with, and help them with their child care responsibilities instead of trying to shame them into overwork, frustration and anger, then maybe, *maybe* they might believe you when you say the GOP stands for women. Right there with where the Dems already are, now, today. Though personally I think two centuries won't be nearly enough.

January 23, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. Wake up People!

So if I use birth control pills that means I can't control my libido??? Boy these guys get worse and worse every single time they open their mouths.

I was raised in the church, I believe in God and Jesus Christ, but these guys are nuts.

January 23, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

Econ301

Good old quote:

-------------------------
    [ co-sign ]

January 23, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. Feli

Has anyone taught these people the definition of insanity yet? When Glen Beck starts backing away you know things are going bad. JEEZ!

January 23, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. Anonymous

@Sniffitt: I did miss that. Too many to keep up with.

@Lynda/Minnesota: I'm not sure they are thinking anything except about themselves and what they can 'gain'.
    They can't seem to get hateful enough. It's like a contest, who can be the most outragous. Maybe?

January 23, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Sorry Lynda, I meant "outrageous".

January 23, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. morrie

It is the GOP who insult women and it is the GOP who wants to control women.

January 23, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Malory Archer

IA

Sounds like he's on something.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FIFY.

January 23, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

-Lisa P.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suppose I should be pleased that after fifty years even a troglodyte like Mike Huckabee will publicly acknowledge that women *have* libidos. That's progress, I suppose. Who knows – after another fifty years he might even figure out that it takes *two* uncontrolled libidos to create a need for safe, easily accessible abortion procedures. And after another fifty years? Hey, maybe if we gave both libidos all the information they need regarding uncontrolled s-e-x we'd have less need for safe, easily accessible abortion procedures. Two centuries after *the Feminine Mystique* the GOP might even have figured out that if you pay women what they are worth instead of what you can get away with, and help them with their child care responsibilities instead of trying to shame them into overwork, frustration and anger, then maybe, *maybe* they might believe you when you say the GOP stands for women. Right there with where the Dems already are, now, today. Though personally I think two centuries won't be nearly enough.
    ********************************
    Just remember though: Huckabee and the other GOP paladins will be your champions, because you clearly cannot do it on your own. So, just suspend your free will and anything else that implies and independent though, since Uncle Mike knows best.

January 23, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. just basking

Lisa, your killing me! You mean your not buying it?

January 23, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Thomas

"I think it's much ado about nothing," Huckabee Uncle Sugar !

Mike Huckabee / Chuck Norris 2016

When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down.

We live in an expanding universe. All of it is trying to get away from Mike Huckabee.

January 23, 2014 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |