January 24th, 2014
9 months ago

A year of success and setbacks for soul-searching RNC

(CNN) – For far too long, according to Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, his committee was nothing more than "a U-Haul trailer of money for a presidential nominee" who lacked a permanent, sustainable presence in crucial states.

"We had been a party that has shown up once every four years about five months before an election," Priebus told CNN, arguing that no matter how much money you have, that model won't work and hasn't worked in recent years.

FULL STORY

Filed under: RNC
  1. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Maybe if your party wasn't extreme, hate filled and obsolete, you would win an election or two...

January 24, 2014 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

Enough already with the "soul searching" tear jerking nonsense. This is NOT a party in a deep soul searching, platform building reform. This is a party that has spent God knows how many years TELLING folks what to think and how to think it. They are just now coming to the realization that many, many, many people are no longer willing to be "told" what to think. They've spent the past year telling us the have "rebuilt" when in fact what they have "rebuilt" is questionable at best.

Throwing out a few tokens to improve the image isn't the same as improving the platform for those they are supposedly "improving" their image of to beg votes from. Nor is telling us "they don't hate (blah, blah, blah)" helpful. Having insulted the majority of voters time and time again, they still want to play the "but ... we LIKE you. We really, really LIKE you" (wink wink) card.

What we DO have in the GOP is a message gone horribly wrong and a group of people telling us to ignore the messenger.

January 24, 2014 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. smith

@JeffNJ-What are you 20 years old? Over the last thirty years the GOP has been in the WH more than the dems.

January 24, 2014 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

-smith

*****************
    And with a legacy of debt, scandal, and economic collapse, his point is valid. Gerrymandering is the only thing preventing the GOP from being completely out of power, and their governors have resorted to accounting tricks and missappropriating funds to "balance" their budgets. No amount of papering over the cynical politcal ploys, not the least of which ispandering to the fears of a shrinking, aging white population can hide their love of short term political goals over long-term policy. There has not been one significant new idea coming out of the GOP since they abandoned their invested intellectual capital in health insurance reform over a decade ago.

January 24, 2014 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. rs

The GOP is in real trouble. It has an unpalatable platform (pro-rich, anti-education, anti-Science, anti-worker, anti-women, anti-civil rights, pro-discrimination); it has done nothing of substance for 5 years; it's policy platform moves daily ever Rightward; the fake-O TEA Party seems to be running the show; it has become hyper-radicalized anti-government and antiAmerican.
    Sure, it can bring out the foamers- the one issue voters with their fake claims: the anti-abortion,people, the pro-gun people, the anti-government people, and score a solid 30-40% in any election without too much trouble. By shooting themselves (like with Mr. Huckabee yesterday), they continue to reject rational voters from the middle-of-the-road. They will run out of voters at some point.
    This is a two-party country, and one of them isn't holding up their end. They aren't working for the majority, they aren't putting up reasonable alternatives- and yes, that impacts America.

January 24, 2014 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. Sniffit

Nothing says "soul searching" like "I refuse to change, but I want it to look like I am, that I have, that I do relate to these demographics we've lost, so I'm going to spew superficial spin in an attempt to fake it." Huckabee's nonsense yesterday is a perfect example of the disingenuous attempt to spin the narrative, turn the realities of an issue on their head and backwards-talk it into looking like "outreach." And then they have the gumption to look surprised and wax self-righteous when it backfires? Too funny. But hey, keep propping them up by pretending they're actually "soul searching", CNN...I could use the laughs.

Note from reality: Huckabee signed legislation in 2005 mandating that Arkansas insurance plans provide contraception coverage, and it included church-affiliated organizations such as hospitals and universities.

January 24, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. Sniffit

BREAKING: Believing that all you need to do is change the messaging, not the message, is now considered "soul searching" and "outreach." Story at never.

January 24, 2014 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  8. tom l

I hope this doesn't illicit a storm of insults towards me because I'm not trying to start an argument. But as I read the above comments from the liberals on here all I glean and feel from the comments is hate. You can justify it any way you want but any person who is unbiased would come to that exact same conclusion.

January 24, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. Malory Archer

The Real Tom Paine

-smith

*****************

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ya beat me to it!

January 24, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. Malory Archer

tom l

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not trying to start a fight either tom, but face it, you hate the truth and you hate it when "the liberals" point it out.

January 24, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Not hate, tom I. Frustration at what was once a very viable party of those whom I perceived to be competent leaders. Indeed. I voted for this party and its membership for more years than not. What is left is a travesty of what once was and I sincerely hope will be again.

But not with what is happening within its ranks now. That I can not and will not support.

January 24, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  12. Winston Smith

My God. The R.N.C., is in such a position now that it would be almost impossible to reach down and touch it, without digging with a trencher.

January 24, 2014 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. don in albuquerque

@tom I–Oh, come on, you love to start arguments. I don't hate you, your as entertaining as Rick McDaniel. We all love you. Your just wrong about 85% of the time.

January 24, 2014 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Sniffit

"all I glean and feel from the comments is hate"

Don't confuse outrage with hate, tom. Outrage that the GOP/Teatrolls pretend to be soul searching and outrage that the MSM uncritically goes along with it, when the veil is truly oh so thin.

January 24, 2014 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  15. rs

tom l

______________________
    Tom, you have a problem with reality-
    First, anger is not hate,debate is not hate, and the truth is not hate- although it might sting just a bit.
    Second, you cannot put yourself forward as "diagnoser-in-chief", reading into what people say things that simply are not there, then cry persecution.
    Finally, Disagreement about the political condition is natural, and yes, it can get testy- say the right things and you can get dumped on. I've experienced that a time or two.

The GOP is killing itself by degrees with stupidity, irresponsibility and prejudice. As Lynda said above- it is hard to watch a once viable party (that many of us once belonged to) set itself ablaze with undiluted stupidity..

January 24, 2014 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

Tom l, I don't feel hate. I frankly feel a combination of frustration and pity for a group that is more obcessed with maintaining ideological purity than in offering solutions on governing. The party my father joined when he became a citizen bares no resemblance to the one who felt investing in education and infrastructure were worthy goals and that civil rights should be extended, not taken away. Now, they seem more intent on denying access to participation and success in our country than they are in welcoming it.

January 24, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. MTATL67

Bridgegate, Gov Mike Huckabee , Gov Bob McDonnell, Conservative commentator D'Souza indicted and The Republican parties complete lose of Virginia. I’d say the GOP is the party of the walking disasters.

January 24, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |