Jay Carney is clean-shaven
January 24th, 2014
10 months ago

Jay Carney is clean-shaven

Washington (CNN) - White House Press Secretary Jay Carney emerged in the daily press briefing Friday with a fresh look: His recent beard was gone.

"The time had come to shave. Here I am, the old me," Carney said to amused reporters.

He said he shaved it himself at home Thursday morning for a couple of reasons. First, he jokingly said the rumor was that ABC's Ann Compton had a bet that he would be clean-shaven before Tuesday's State of the Union speech and he didn't want Compton to lose money.

He also said that President Obama's chief speechwriter, Cody Keenan, who recently grew a full beard, is a "daily reminder of the insufficiency of my efforts."

Carney originally debuted the new stubble in early January during his first briefing of the New Year. He joked at the time that his facial hair was in homage to long-time bearded CBS News' Mark Knoller.

Filed under: Jay Carney
  1. Richard Long

Same old Carney. Same old lies.

January 24, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. The REAL Truth...

Must be a slow news day... again.

January 24, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

He should have gotten fitted for some contact lenses before he shaved. He might have passed for a young Master Kenobi.

January 24, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Thomas

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney must be a Red Soxs fan .

January 24, 2014 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. edmundburkeson

So no matter what is flung it will not stick!

January 24, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. Fair is Fair

I thought he looked better with the scruff. Now he looks like Richie Cunningham with glasses again.

January 24, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Lilly

Hey men out there who keep their beard on. You do not look good at all with it. Take time to shave out those forest and you will look good and people will realise that you really take care of yourselves.

January 24, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  8. The REAL Truth...

@Reallity – Mitt Romney would have made a MUCH better president than our current loser OBAMA!
    -------------------------------–
    too bad for your reality then that he'll never get the chance... However, I might be inclinded to vote GOP again, if they put forth a moderate candidate who isn't constantly trying to tout their business accomplishments. Federal govt is NOT a business. Those that have been elected on those credentials (and some without) have proceeded to trash the economy, pillage SS, double the National Debt, increase the size of Govt, RAISE TAXES and spend like there's tomorrow (Reagan and BOTH Bush'es). Comparatively speaking, Obama is a miser.

January 24, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

"I wish I could make the same claim, but I have found myself too often on the receiving end of "4th grade" name calling."
    ------–
    That's called self-inflicted punishment. You paint every person who's right of center as "the right wing". When a conservative takes a moderate stance on a topic your reply always contains the phrase "the right wing". If the topic has to do with abortion, you use the phrase "Christian right wing". Quite honestly, your posts paint you as a petty partisan hack who thinks he's never wrong, and when proven wrong, twists words and context in an effort to save face. That's 4th grade behavior and is treated as such.

January 24, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  10. Anonymous

The New World Order is going after Republicans every way they can. Soon the Republican party will be "replaced" by the "Tea Party" or some other name. But it's all an illusion to make the public think they have a fresh choice.

This is only a power grab.

January 24, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  11. Sniffit

Today on CNN: political "journalism" = what Carney grew on his face and what McMorris-Rogers grew in her womb.

January 24, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

-------------------------
    "The Right Wing" What am I supposed to say? I use the word "conservatives" just as much. The difference is that you make personal attacks, Fair. I am truly surprised to see you, uh, "man up" to your name calling. It's a recent behavior. One that has only appeared since Romney lost in 2012. It seems the whole right wing is bitter over that loss.

January 24, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |