Wendy Davis' daughters step in to defend their mother's life story
January 28th, 2014
7 months ago

Wendy Davis' daughters step in to defend their mother's life story

(CNN) – The two daughters of Texas state senator and gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis penned their support of their mother, as well as her personal history, in open letters released Tuesday.

Questions over Davis' personal story as a teenage mother who rose out of poverty by putting herself through college to become a Texas lawmaker arose earlier this month after a report by the Dallas Morning News highlighted discrepancies in her account.

Dru, Davis' daughter with her second husband, Jeff Davis, wrote in an effort to "set the record straight" after critics have slammed her mother for leaving out key parts of her history.

Ex-husband: Wendy Davis would be a 'very capable governor'

"She never missed a school performance or a parent-teacher conference. Even if that meant she had to miss something else important. My sister and I were always her first priority. She was there when I needed her and even when I thought I didn't," she said in the letter.

Amber, Davis' eldest daughter from her first marriage, wrote: "I have spent the past few days reading the ludicrous comments that people have shared on social media about my mother and our family."

Those judging the merits of Davis' account of her history have questioned the Texas lawmaker's account of how long she lived in a trailer as a single mother. She has also taken heat for rarely mentioning her second ex-husband, who cashed out his 401(k) largely to help her go to Harvard Law School.

In her letter, Amber called her mom her "best friend." And she pushed back against critics who have railed against Davis for abandoning her daughters when they were young to go to Harvard Law School. Amber and Dru mostly lived in Texas with Dru's father, but Davis' campaign says the girls lived in Boston during Davis' first year of law school.

A rising star in the Democratic Party, Davis announced in October she would run for governor. She was launched into the national spotlight for a now-famous 2013 filibuster against an abortion bill.

In her interview with the Dallas Morning News, Davis admitted "My language should be tighter," when recounting her personal story.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Texas • Wendy Davis
  1. Harold Read

Obama has already set the gold standard with, "You can keep your policy. Period.", so lying is an totally an acceptable practice for Democrats.

Wendy needs to make her story more exciting! How about she was so poor that her and her family survived on a diet of rattlesnake and scorpions while she studied for her seventh doctorate in candlelight only.

January 28, 2014 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Silence DoGood

The number one problem with Wendy Davis is not the exact time spent living in a trailer. Conservatives in Texas are not going to stand for a woman standing up for women's rights. That is her "crime" and "sin". BTW, they told me to tell you there is no War on Women from the right. Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth when I said that.

January 28, 2014 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Tampa Tim

Harold – You get to keep your junk policy for another tear, so be happy. Did you get a chance to look up W's 935 lies?

January 28, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. it must be said

This woman is just another in a very long list of liars and scam artists put up for office. She fabricated a story based on half truths that made her out to look like a poor down trodden victim of life, when all the while she was living high off the hog and getting her way paid through school by a man she used, abubsed then dumped when she had gotten all the money she could get from him.

She is the poster woman for the type of woman men should avoid and stay away from. Any woman with an ounce of self respect would denounce this scheming coniving tramp.

January 28, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

"That our mother 'left us to be raised by our father' while she went on to pursue her education. Not only is this ridiculously unfair; it's completely untrue. Dru and I have always been her number one priority," she wrote."

How unfortunate that these young women feel it necessary to publicly defend their mother (of whom they are proud of) for making the exact same decisions millions of other women have had to make throughout the years.

January 28, 2014 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. don in albuquerque

Feeling a little threatened, Harold? Much.

January 28, 2014 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Sniffit

Honestly, I would have ignored it for the most part if I were her. The misogynist conservative pigs flexing their perineums for the MSM's cameras would respond to her silence by spewing increasingly worse and desperate self-damaging rhetoric. They're looking for the reaction. If you don't give it to them, they'll go even further to try to get it. As for Bristol Palin, haha, she deserved no more than an extremely sarcastic "whatever" or perhaps a flip of the bird.

January 28, 2014 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  8. CryBabies

Tighter...sure, lets run with that.

January 28, 2014 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. yolanda

I totally believe Davis' story about living in a trailer now that I see she named her daughter Amber. @Tampa, I"m fine, thanks. Since Master Rudy smacked my knuckles for not playing by his rules in his sandbox I've tried to be a better camper and eat all of my vegetables and not question his wisdom.....I guess a sense of humor costs extra in NYC.

January 28, 2014 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. don in albuquerque

it must be said

Having some doubts in your wee-wee today?

January 28, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain - If you want Congress to actually do something FOR the American people, vote OUT the Repub/tea bag majority

@it must be said: Your post sounds like a Limbaugh rant: full of lies and hatred towards women. I'm sure you have mommy issues just like Rush. I'm praying you've also been shooting blanks like he does – God help us if you've managed to procreate.

January 28, 2014 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. Sniffit

" man she used, abubsed [sic] then dumped when she had gotten all the money she could get from him."

Funny how he doesn't say or claim that or see it that way, eh? But that's ok...liberals actually WANT you to keep spewing such nonsense and digging your hole deeper, GOPers/Teatrolls. Dig, mofos, dig.

January 28, 2014 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. Tampa Tim

Yo! Thanks for the laugh, oh, and thanks for not calling me Tampon.

January 28, 2014 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

.....I guess a sense of humor costs extra in NYC
    -------------------------------------------------
    Folks have been passing off their opinions and jibes under the guise of humor since time immemorial, when they are called on it their response invariably is " I was only kidding".
    New Yorkers have a sense of humor, if something is actually funny.

January 28, 2014 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Silence DoGood

@Lynda/Minnesota "This entire media frenzy against Wendy Davis' "mothering" skills and trailer talk is soap opera disgusting."
    --------
    I can just imagine the wagging finger of the Radical Right pointing at this woman who doesn't know her place and is not submissive to her Man and shouting "Sinner!" Why do the Radical Right "arguments" sound like a bad scary movie character? Case in point from this very comment section: "denounce this scheming coniving tramp." Sinner!

January 28, 2014 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. Rick McDaniel

The personal history was a sham. That was totally clear. Texans are not so foolish they will swallow the lies of politicians.

January 28, 2014 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. don in albuquerque

Rick McDaniel

But Texans are talking about making Cruz a deity.

January 28, 2014 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. just saying

hey she figured obama has been lying for years and got away with it, why can't she do it too? besides, she'd be able to paint any attack on her lies as a war on women, just like any attack on obama was because you were a racist. that's how the lying lefties get away with their lies.

January 28, 2014 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama

oh, and thanks for not calling me Tampon
    -------------------------------------------------
    Now THAT was funny!

January 28, 2014 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. don in albuquerque

just saying

And you know she is lying because...........? Because you say so ain't good enough Bubba. Prove it, or can it.

January 28, 2014 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. anonymous

Tampa Tim
    Yo! Thanks for the laugh, oh, and thanks for not calling me Tampon.
    ---

we all refuse to call you tampon timmy as that would be an afront to tampons. at least they several a useful purpose in life. the same cannot be said of you and your endless stream of lies in here.

January 28, 2014 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. don in albuquerque

anonymous

What a disgusting, small person you must be. And you want to talk about the endless stream of lies? You are the God of Lies.

January 28, 2014 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. yolanda

@Tampa, there seems to be a lot of vitriol from both corners this evening. Keep smiling. Poor Dominican, I lived in NY for many years, so I know the people have a sense of humor....I wasn't aware that their skin was so thin, though. you, of all posters......

January 28, 2014 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. just saying

don in albuquerque
    just saying
    ---

of course she isn't lying.... she just conviently forgot to include all of the facts that didn't support her fantasy tale of victimhood and pulling herself up all by her lonesome. wow, you and this con artist of a woman must take the voters in texas for complete morons.

January 28, 2014 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. Silence DoGood

@Rick McDaniel
    ---------
    There are weapons of mass destruction and AlQeada and gas factories and tubes for nucular stuff – I SEEN em in the "intelligence". Whoops – sorry about all the dead people – shucks. Mission accomplished!
    Wasn't that guy from Texas?

January 28, 2014 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |