January 28th, 2014
10 months ago

White House offers look at State of the Union prep

Washington (CNN) - Ahead of Tuesday's State of the Union, the White House is flooding its social media platforms to try and get Americans to tune in to the annual address.

The latest pitch is a behind-the-scenes video of President Barack Obama preparing his address with a team of speechwriters, telling them he thinks the "tone" of the speech is spot-on but it needs more real-world illustrations to make his point.

"If we can just find one or two examples that I think will buttress it," he tells his chief speechwriter, Cody Keenan.

It's just one way the White House is trying to drive interest in Obama's remarks through social media. On its official Instagram and Twitter accounts, the President's aides have been posting behind-the-scenes photos showing Obama in his office revising drafts of the annual address.

And on the evening of the speech, the White House will offer its own webcast of the remarks that utilizes pre-produced graphics and charts to illustrate Obama's points.

CNN White House Producer Kevin Liptak contributed to this story

1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

January 28, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Thomas

What a Joke !

January 28, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. O'drama ya Mama

I'm surprise Republicans arent screaming about how are President doesnt even write his own speeches.

January 28, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Is that a bowl of apples? Here's what past presidents might have had on the table.

Nixon – Bowl of sour grapes
    Carter – Bowl of boiled peanuts
    Reagan – Bowl of Gummi Bears
    Bush-41 – Bowl of anything but broccoli.
    Clinton – Bowl of Hershey's Kisses
    Bush-43 – Bowl of [you get to choose}

January 28, 2014 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  5. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

O'drama ya Mama
    ---------------------------------------
    They're going to go back to their old "teleprompter" attack line. Just watch.

January 28, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. O'drama ya Mama

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

O'drama ya Mama
    -------------
    They're going to go back to their old "teleprompter" attack line. Just watch.
    January 28, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
    ________________________________

Reagan loved his teleprompter too. I guess that ends the rant before it begins.

January 28, 2014 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

"Oh how I wish I was his speechwriter for this SOTU address. I will have a 2 hour tirade written up for him to tear into republicans."

It would be interesting to watch GOP reactions, Dutch.

January 28, 2014 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. amber

And in other news, one of the GOP's front runners, Michele Bachmann is saying that Obama created the Republican war on women.

January 28, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

I think that Republicans are using women in their official rebuttal as cannon fodder. They actually WANT them to be harshly criticized for the express purpose of playing the victim card, just so they can point a finger at the Democrats' War on Women.

January 28, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. The REAL Truth...

Such as shame that the POTUS has to be politically correct, yet the GOP haters can pound away ad nauseum.
    I'd love for him to step up and tell the country how it really works up in DC...

January 28, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

Lynda/Minnesota

It would be interesting to watch GOP reactions, Dutch.
    --------------------------------------
    It sure would be Lynda. Now that will make some good tv.

January 28, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. Rick McDaniel

What he means is.......he is looking for more ways to lie and deceive!

January 28, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Silence DoGood

@Rudy NYC
    ------
    "using" is the key word. Contrast the image of the GOP women-mouth-pieces, one holding a dear baby in her arms, like a Madonna of anti-choice, with the press photos of Obama, working at his desk, like he is supposed to be. So after all the judgement, limitations, and hate directed towards women by the GOP, they think "using" two of them shamelessly will make it all better. The only people this will fool are those supporting them already with a blind faith. What are they thinking? Who is going to fall for this?

January 28, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |