Biden: Clinton won't really affect his 2016 decision
January 29th, 2014
7 months ago

Biden: Clinton won't really affect his 2016 decision

Washington (CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden says Hillary Clinton's decision on whether she will or won't run for president in 2016 will not directly impact his own decision on whether to launch another bid for the White House.

And Biden, making the rounds on the morning network newscasts, said he thinks he'd "make a good president."

Speaking hours after President Barack Obama gave the annual State of the Union address, the Vice President backed up his boss's move to use executive actions, but like Obama, Biden said the White House would not be bypassing Congress. And he highlighted policy differences between himself and former Defense Secretary Bob Gates, who's recent criticism of Biden in a new book made headlines.

On whether he'll make a third run for the Democratic presidential nomination, Biden said on ABC's "Good Morning America" that "I haven't made a decision what I'm going to do. I haven't decided to run or not run," adding that  "I'll make that decision later but now is not the time to talk about that. Now is time to talk about the opportunity we have this year."

But he's confident that he'd make a good president, saying on the "Today Show" on NBC that "in my heart, I'm confident that I could make a good president. It's a very different decision to decide whether or not to run for president. And there's plenty of time to do that."

Clinton's said she'll decide by the end of this year whether she'll launch a second bid for the White House. National polling indicates that if she does jump into the race, the former Secretary of State would instantly become the overwhelming frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

When asked on "CBS This Morning" whether Clinton's decision will affect his own decision making process, the Vice President said "no, not directly. The only reason a man or woman would run for president, and I'm sure Hillary thinks the exact same way, is that they think they're in a better position to help the nation at the moment and what is the plan you have for your the country, and that's the only thing."

The CBS interview was the third in a row to end with questions about 2016, and when anchor Charlie Rose apologized to Biden for cutting him off during his answer regarding the next race for the White House, the Vice President said "that's OK. I'm glad to stop talking about it."

On the use of executive actions, Biden said on CBS that "most of the big things do have to go through Congress and the President said 'I want Congress to do that.' As a matter of fact, as I sat there with (House Speaker) John Boehner, he and I were talking about, before the President spoke, the prospects of moving on immigration."

But he added that "we're just not going to sit around and wait for the Congress if they choose not to act"

On NBC,  the Vice President said that "you're seeing more cooperation with the Congress this year than you have the past five years," but added that "he (President Obama) said there's a lot of other avenues I can move, as well."

According to a CNN/ORC International poll of Americans who watched the State of the Union address, only three in ten said that the President should make unilateral changes to deal with major issues, with two-thirds saying that Obama should seek bipartisan compromise.

Asked about Gates writing in a book that Biden was wrong on almost ever major decision in the past 40 years, the former Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman talked about how he and the former Defense Secretary didn't see eye to eye on many matters.

"Bob and I like each other, we both acknowledge each other possess integrity, as he said in his book, but we have disagreed for 40 years. I thought we should end the war in Vietnam, that's why I ran. He didn't think that. I thought Iran Contra was a disaster, he thought it was a good idea. I thought (Mikhail) Gorbachev was an agent of change. You remember, he encouraged Reagan not to view him as an agent of change. I thought we should have war crime tribunals in Bosnia. He thought we shouldn't. I thought we should end this war in Afghanistan, after taking care of al Qaeda which we're about to finish doing. He didn't. The president said last night, 'it's time to end the war in Afghanistan.' That's not Bob's position," Biden said on CBS.

But Biden added on NBC that Gates is "a fine man."

As for security concerns at the upcoming Winter Olympic games in Sochi, Russia, the Vice President said "I'd send my own family with the same caveats. Make sure they were very vigilant, kept their eyes open," adding that Americans attending the games should "register with the State Department and pay very much attention."
CNN's Diane Ruggiero and Mary Grace Lucas contributed to this report

1. Rudy NYC

Malory Archer

I closed my eyes while listening to Cathy McMorris-Rogers' speech and was struck by how much she sounded like the "Veridian Dynamics" spokesrobot from the hilarious, yet short-lived television series "Ted" (available on Netflix) who spouted nothing but meaningless talking points about their product.
    ---------------------------
    LOL. Reminded me of Saddam's press spokesperson, not Chemical Ali, the other guy, WhatHisFace.

"We are defeating the evil, invading infidels. ..."

January 29, 2014 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. with a grain of salt

When your economy suffers from too much money at the top, and not enough flowing through the system, ( our economy), the clear answer is more money at the top. They cry foul, and how unfair, right, what's the word inequality mean again, those poor ole billionaires, how will they manage? One CEO from Microsoft, has a yacht 500 or was it 600 feet long 300 k to fuel up, definitely can't afford more taxes

January 29, 2014 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Kenman

What a purely nonsensical statement! Is this guy as unable as Obama to be truthful and honest!?

January 29, 2014 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. much thunder...little rain

uncle joe look like he was embalm at the state of union..dude you need some color

January 29, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  5. with a grain of salt

Who can afford to pay more in taxes, when it cost you $300,000, to fill the tank on your boat ( ship)? And yet some believe they need more tax cuts, the gop answer to everything, even when history and logic say otherwise, and were the dumb ones .

January 29, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  6. smith

Rudy NYC

Malory Archer

---------

"We are defeating the evil, invading infidels. ..."

Geez, nice comparison Rudy. smh.

January 29, 2014 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. J Robinson

It's been observed that Hillary Clinton has been running for president for the last 20 years. So, unless we want to hear another 20 years of moaning that she didn't get her due, that America is loathe to have women leaders, blah, blah, blah, she will get elected. Her minions will relentlessly hound us until she gets in. But, think of the wonderful silence that will ensue once she does!

January 29, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. Me

with a grain of salt

____________

January 29, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. Silence DoGood

@Rudy NYC
    Malory Archer

---------

"We are defeating the evil, invading infidels. ..."
    ---------
    Wow-yes! Remember one of the Baghdad Bob appearances when he was saying everything is under control when a loud explosion happened. It is a perfect analogy because the GOP woman spokes-model is telling us the GOP is all for women while the explosions of sinking voting numbers goes on behind her.

January 29, 2014 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. sly

Both Biden and Hillary would be a fine successor to President Obama.

Either will win handily – it will be surprising if any key Republicans oppose them in what will be a landslide.

These will be 8 great years of significant policy improvements, followed by 8 more. About time we got America working. Good job Mr. President.

January 29, 2014 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  11. Silence DoGood

@J Robinson
    ----------
    I would not count on silence. She would be a strong outspoken woman leader. After being champion for women's issues around the world, you will be hearing a lot from her. Sorry but Hurrah!

January 29, 2014 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. IpseCogita

Biden's 2016 decision was made in 2008 when he signed on.

January 29, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. Rudy NYC

"You sound pretty jealous of these "billionaires", or are you just obsessed, probably both, maybe if you got off the couch you could be someone some day too!! LMFAO."
    -----------------------------------
    I wonder why you are so familiar with the emotion, or are you really just that ignorant of sarcasm.

January 29, 2014 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. polite centrist

Bill D

Biden seems like a real nice guy, unlike the arrogant Obama. But I don't think he'd make a good president. He seems very Carterish to me.

Well put. Jimmy Carter is a Great Man, but he was a lousy President.

January 29, 2014 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. with a grain of salt

Another Republican turns on a working stiff, I would list them all, but it would be quicker to list the ones that haven't. Sad part is, you will soon learn he was the victim, poor guy, people running all over him, have they no shame

January 29, 2014 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. Jack 2

I don't think even liberals are that stupid. Biden doesn't have a chance in the world. He should stay home and save his money.

January 29, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. with a grain of salt

Lmfao: while you continue to ignore the Iraq war, yet yell benghazi, more money to the rich will make your life better, call this economic recovery weak, ignoring we lost 8 million jobs in the last year of gop rule, you think your laughing?

January 29, 2014 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. with a grain of salt

And the joke, its on you, your just not smart enough to get it!

January 29, 2014 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  19. with a grain of salt

I work six days a week, made 82 k, so yup, your a genius, im good with my reality, you?

January 29, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  20. VotingDemocrat

I am voting straight Democrat no matter who runs.

January 29, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  21. with a grain of salt

And jealousy and obsession is for the weak minded, those who have yet to accept responsibility for their own lives, I'm not having that problem. I simply think the direction were going is unsustainable . And every attempt to correct it is labeled unfair, record inequality! People working 40 hours a week and need food stamps whole the CEO of MacDonalds and Walmart making 30-50 million a year

January 29, 2014 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. anonymous

with a grain of salt

republican riule??? more lies. it was the second year of demorcat rule. democrats controlled both the house and senate, two thirds of the federal government.

January 29, 2014 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  23. typical

VotingDemocrat
    I am voting straight Democrat no matter who runs.

Nothing like being a braindead voter in America!

January 29, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. with a grain of salt

Typical gop, spew a list of topics which the dems fail at, do us all a favor, research them, if your not voting based on wealth or prejudice, then you obviously have not. Unless of course your in the top 5%,, which I somehow doubt.

January 29, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. J-Man

Joe Biden is the only person who thinks Joe Biden would be a good president. He should go away.

January 29, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |