Christie picks the Denver Broncos to win the Super Bowl
January 30th, 2014
6 months ago

Christie picks the Denver Broncos to win the Super Bowl

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie made his Super Bowl pick Thursday morning, granting a rare interview as his administration faces abuse-of-power allegations.

“I believe Denver's going to win the game. I think it's going to be a close game and a good game,” he said on Philadelphia sports radio 94WIP, predicting the score would be around 24-21.

“I think Seattle will give them every ounce of effort they can, but in the end I like (Peyton) Manning and (Knowshon) Moreno, I think that's a great combination...I think it's going to be very, very tough for Seattle to cover that offense all over the field,” he added.

The interview came under the agreement that the hosts would not ask Christie questions about the George Washington Bridge controversy.

The governor also addressed the tension between New Jersey and New York over who gets credit for hosting Super Bowl XLVIII. While the game is being held in MetLife Stadium, home of the New York Giants and the New York Jets, the stadium’s address is in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

"The teams are staying in New Jersey. The teams are practicing in New Jersey, and at 6:30 on Sunday night, the ball will be kicked off in New Jersey. So I don't really know what the argument is,” Christie said.

The committee heading up the game is officially called the "NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee."

Sunday’s game marks the first time a Super Bowl will take place in an outdoor stadium in the Northeast, a big risk in a part of the country known for frigid winter weather.

But Christie argued everything will be fine and said he hopes the Super Bowl at MetLife will set a precedent for other northern cities.

“We're happy to be the guinea pig and to let people see that it can work,” he said.

The radio hosts also took some time to rib the sports-loving governor for being a Dallas Cowboys fan.

“Listen, it hasn't been like it's Shangri-La lately, fellows,” Christie said in his defense. “We haven't been to a Super Bowl for 18 years.”

“It's not like I’m a frontrunner here,” he continued. “So I'm taking political abuse for it and not really enjoying myself on most Sundays. But when you're a fan, you're a fan and I couldn't change at this point.”

The potential 2016 presidential candidate also took a veiled swipe at Hillary Clinton, a ding he’s been known to make in the past, for switching baseball allegiance from the Chicago Cubs to the New York Yankees when she ran for the Senate in the Empire State.

“What you rather have me do? I mean, if you want me to fake it to be like every other politician, you want me to change like from a Cubs fan to Yankees fan...you don't want me to do something like that,” he said.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. Rudy NYC

I wonder what the opposing teams' Governors/Mayors are wagering. Are they even betting one another?

January 30, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  2. O'drama ya Mama

Will the Republicans cry that he is trying to distract us from his growing scandals? Probably not.

January 30, 2014 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  3. Fair is Fair

I care about this about as much as I care about the chump at 1600 Pennsylvania's NCAA brackets.

January 30, 2014 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  4. Al-NY,NY

to try to get even with the state that is REALLY hosting the SuperBowl, the BBQ-Gov will now add a part-time toll on outbound traffic on the GWB

January 30, 2014 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. just asking

problem is manning is easily rattled and denver's defense is weak. if seattle keeps him under pressure or sacks him, he's not as effective. seattle's defense will keep manning under control and score enough points to win by 2 or 3.

January 30, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. Kinard

Anything to change the subject. He's another shameless opportunist, only he's bigger.

January 30, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

DM4O asked:

My question to you is this Rudy: How do you engage with folks that read a story and go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what's being discussed, yet they insist on drawing irrelevant parallels?
    I am not saying that Fair's points did not have merits, but they did not apply to the topic being discussed.
    -------------------------
    You already know the answer. I keep telling Fair that argument did not apply to the executive order. Why do I engage them for any reason? I think it serves a purpose to be the adult in the room. Letting them make their arguments doesn't help their supposed causes in the least. Hey, I'm just the tour guide, pointing out the obvious flaws and hypocrisies.

January 30, 2014 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. Pollopa

I predict Christie to lose his populism and found guilty of bribery and funds missappropriation. Holds about as much credence as his picking the Broncos.
    Also, I usually go with my division for support when I think the game is close, and don't have a preference. Seems to me he is changing allegence if he is a true Cowboys fan. Hawks +10. Yes I'm a Hawks fan. Could give a rats about what Christie thinks. LOB Baby! Go HAWKS!

January 30, 2014 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |