Florida poll: Charlie Crist leads incumbent Gov. Rick Scott
January 30th, 2014
11 months ago

Florida poll: Charlie Crist leads incumbent Gov. Rick Scott

(CNN) – Ex-Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, vying to reclaim his former post, has a 46%-38% lead over incumbent GOP Gov. Rick Scott in this year's governor's race, according to a Quinnipiac University survey released Thursday.

The poll shows that the Republican-turned Democrat is ahead of Scott on most issues, and a majority of registered voters don't think Scott deserves a second term.

Scott, who was behind Crist in the poll by 16 points last March, has gained ground over the past year. Crist led only by 10 points in June, by seven points in November, and now by eight points.

"Scott's comeback...has stalled after considerably narrowing the Crist lead in 2013," Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a news release.

The high-profile race has seen considerable national attention as Crist faces scrutiny over taking new positions on certain issues, now that he's a Democrat. He began serving as the Republican governor of Florida in 2007, but became an independent in 2010 when he ran for a Senate seat.

In December 2012, he announced he had become a registered Democrat.

Florida will also be interesting to watch this November now that a proposal to legalize medical marijuana will be on the ballot. The issue, which has more support from Democrats than Republicans in Florida, could boost turnout for Crist.

For the survey, Quinnipiac interviewed 1,565 registered voters from January 22-27. The poll's overall sampling error is plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

Filed under: 2014 • Charlie Crist • Florida • Polls • Rick Scott
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    I liked Crist when he was a Republican.
    I like him now.
    I wish him and the state of Florida the best of luck.

January 30, 2014 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

Its January, so why is this even being taken seriously? Come September, these numbers might be relevant.

January 30, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Tampa Tim

3 months of negative ads against Crist has not worked yet. The Kochs are going to have to kick in another hundred million for the sorry scammer Scott.

January 30, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

I like Crist for the same reasons that conservatives seem to dislike him. The man's pragmatic, and he uses common sense.

January 30, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. amber

Rick Scott ran FL into the dirt..err sand.

January 30, 2014 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  6. Malory Archer

As it should be.

January 30, 2014 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. Malory Archer

Dominican mama 4 Obama

I liked Crist when he was a Republican.
    I like him now.
    I wish him and the state of Florida the best of luck.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My daughter used to serve him coffee when she worked at a shop near his office. She said he's the nicest, most genuine public figure she's ever met. I voted for him when he ran for Governor as a repub, and I'll vote for him again in November.

January 30, 2014 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. Hector Slagg

Aw, Well,
    Crist seems too much a Liberal for me. But I leave it to Florida. Somebody has to keep the Trains running on time. Liberals have no idea how to do that. Like the Obama Care Web Site. No body able to make it work. Why would Charlie want to be Governor again?

January 30, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  9. Sniffit

"Like the Obama Care Web Site. No body able to make it work. "

It's fixed and has resulted in over 3,000,000 people enrolling in private insurance and over 6,000,000 obtaining Medicaid coverage under the expansion. Take some time once in a while to step out of the conservative mouthbreather bubble.

January 30, 2014 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

-Hector Slagg

Aw, Well,
    ************************
    Speaking of trains, Scott killed a high-speed rail project that would have brought jobs to FL: you can't make trains run on time if there are none. It seems as though the Right expects infrastructure to never need updating or repairs, and everything to run for free. Who cares about that, as long as billionaires are protected, right?

January 30, 2014 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. Joi Gibson

Well, I did not receive a polling call, but add me to the list of folks who will vote for Charlie Crist. I even liked him as a Republican governor. Rick Scott is an abomination – it is hard to tell where this man is coming from. He seems to be scared of our legislature – who are themselves an abomination. For the life of me, I cannot get my head around folks voting for a guy found of guilty of Medicaid fraud to the tune of a few billion dollars and now say he does not deserve a second term. DUH!! He did not deserve a first one.

January 30, 2014 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy NYC
    The man's pragmatic, and he uses common sense.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Speaking of common sense Rudy...
    I closely followed your exchange with Fair is Fair the other day on the topic of the President raising the minimum wage for federal contract workers ONLY.
    Fair's argument was that if the minimum wage went up blah, blah blah.
    Tom l chimed in and admitted that even though the President was not raising the minimum wage for everybody, Fair still had a valid point. He then waxed on about what would happen if the minimum wage was raised across the board.
    My question to you is this Rudy: How do you engage with folks that read a story and go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what's being discussed, yet they insist on drawing irrelevant parallels?
    I am not saying that Fair's points did not have merits, but they did not apply to the topic being discussed.
    I find that many right-wingers/conservatives/whatever they're calling themselves these days engage in this type of debate. They sound more and more often like Rosanna Rosanna Danna and I just don't get how they expect to folks to have a meaningful debate with them when they are drawing the wrong conclusions, and extrapolating incorrect information because they seem to be challenged in their reading comprehension.

January 30, 2014 11:36 am at 11:36 am |