January 30th, 2014
6 months ago

Ryan: 'Not closing my options' on 2016

(CNN) – Conservative Wisconsin GOP Rep. Paul Ryan isn't shutting any doors to 2016.

"I'm not closing my options," the 2012 vice Republican presidential nominee told CNN Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper in an interview appearing on "The Lead" Thursday. "But I'm just not focusing on that right now.”

CNN exclusive: Obama says Walmart, Apple, others to help jobless

Ryan brushed off a new national survey showing him leading a wide field of possible Republican White House hopefuls.

"I feel good that some people like me in a poll. That and $3 basically gets me a cup of coffee as far as I’m concerned," he said.

"Right now, we've got things to do in this Congress, in 2014. So we shouldn't be clouding our judgment as to how this helps us or what we're going to do two years from now when Americans are hurting today."

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who comes in slightly behind Ryan in the Washington Post/ABC News poll, hasn't denied interest in launching a campaign either.

Bush told a CNN affiliate in Florida Wednesday that he'd make a call on 2016 later this year, and that his decision would be based on whether he could serve "joyfully" as a candidate.

"I wouldn’t do it if I couldn't do it joyfully," Ryan said when asked about Bush's comments.

"I'm a believer in the Ronald Reagan, Jack Kemp school of politics - which is inclusive, which is aspirational, appealing to people's better selves - not so much praying on the emotions of fear, envy and anxiety like a lot people cynically do these days."

Filed under: 2016 • Paul Ryan
  1. J'Cincinnati'Redd

RYAN. Would be the perfect man to run in 2016. the GOP would be crazy not to pick this guy. I love my tea party brothers but lets be real. Cruz,Lee and Rand Paul,dont stand a chance in a national election.

January 30, 2014 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  2. Tony D

The only poroblem with Paul Ryan is that he is too nice a guy. The Democrat Smear Machine will chew him up and spit him out and he won't say a word. Republicans need somebody that can dish it out to these smear merchants. You see how they are already targeting Christie. It is all they know how to do because their own candiates suck so bad.

January 30, 2014 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. The REAL Truth...

Yes, running Ryan in 2016 would be the perfect way to guarantee another shellacking by the Dems.

January 30, 2014 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. TONY5000

The only people left who want Ryan to run are establishment Republicans and Democrats. Democrats because they know he can be beat.

January 30, 2014 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. Sniffit

Earth to Ryan: Becoming POTUS is not one of your "options."

January 30, 2014 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"Ryan: 'Not closing my options' on 2016"

Here's a tip: closing your mouth would probably increase your options, dismal as they already are.

January 30, 2014 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  7. Ol' Yeller

Yea... run the second string loser from last election, that's what you should do. I'm sure Hillary will be nice and leave him the ability to sip liquids from a straw.
    That is if he isn't caught in some scandal before then which is highly likely.

January 30, 2014 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. Thomas

The GOP would have a better chance with Ann Coulter and Kid Rock in 2016

Barbie and Ken go to Washington

January 30, 2014 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. Randy

Oh yeah, "Things to do in Congress." Great. Been doing a bang up job there. Gotta keep busy blocking appointments and trying to keep the economy in the tank long enough to win back the White House. Good thing he's not a creep.

January 30, 2014 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. bcrunner

@Redd: not going to happpen. He is toast!

January 30, 2014 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. Lisa P.

Funny how that "better selves" thing always works out: the rich get to keep more (because "charity" can't be coerced - like paying an honest day's wage is now somehow a virtue) and the poor are told to make do with less (and you'd better enjoy it, or else!). I'm sure the many unemployed and under employed workers in Rep. Ryan's district would prefer to hear "jobs" or "higher wages" rather than how he plans to try to fool them again.

January 30, 2014 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Hooper

The clown car get's more and more crowded by the day.

January 30, 2014 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  13. Mitch

As a democrat, I hope he does.

January 30, 2014 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. S. B. Stein

I don't know if he would win the nomination. If he does, then there is a long hard try to get elected no matter who the Democratic or other party nominees are since running as a member of the House to get elected as president is hard. It hasn't been done in decades. Can anyone name the last House member who became president.

January 30, 2014 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. ThinkAgain - If you want Congress to actually do something FOR the American people, vote OUT the Repub/tea bag majority

@RYAN. "Would be the perfect man to run in 2016. the GOP would be crazy not to pick this guy. I love my tea party brothers but lets be real. Cruz,Lee and Rand Paul,dont stand a chance in a national election."

Neither does Ryan. His budget ideas are all voodoo economics on steroids. Folks saw through him a loooooong time ago.

January 30, 2014 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  16. Marie MD

LOL! Another Friday morning joke from the teaklans. This is a man whose family took from the government after his father died to make ends meet but his "god" forbid he does the same for others. McDonald's has a job for him since the average age of their workers is 28!
    @J'Cinci, keep on dreaming. I wish the lying altar boy would be your ultimate candidate because if you think the twit had trouble this guy doesn't stand a chance.
    As far as the Canadian who CAN'T run for president, the Utah who cares what he says and paul the atheist (Aynd Rand was one and she is one of his and paul's heroes) what can I say.

January 31, 2014 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  17. AHC

This is down right embarrassing for the GOP.

January 31, 2014 07:30 am at 7:30 am |