Sandra Fluke asks for California Democratic Party endorsement
February 4th, 2014
8 months ago

Sandra Fluke asks for California Democratic Party endorsement

Washington (CNN) - Sandra Fluke has asked the California Democratic Party for their endorsement in the race for an open 2014 congressional seat, but a spokeswoman for the women's rights activist says Fluke is still on the fence about a bid.

"It is not the same as filing to run or declaring that she is running," said Abigail Gardner, Fluke's spokeswoman, in an email. "It was something she felt she had to do on Friday to keep her options open due to CA Dem Party deadlines."

Gardner defended the move, telling CNN that "if you look at the website and the list of names who have filed for that potential endorsement, there are a lot of names and not everyone has declared or even decided if they will seek the seat."

Fluke, who is vying to represent the wealthy district that covers part of Los Angeles, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, filed for the endorsement on Friday. Party leaders will meet this weekend in Los Angeles to vote on who the party should endorse in the race to replace Rep. Henry Waxman, a 40-year veteran of Congress who announced last week he was retiring.

Shortly after the Waxman announcement, Fluke said in a statement she is "strongly considering running" and will be making her decision "soon."

According to Gardner, Fluke's thinking has not changed since last week and she is still considering the bid.

Fluke rose to political prominence after Rush Limbaugh called the then-Georgetown law student a "slut" and "prostitute" in 2012 for urging a Democratic congressional panel for more coverage of contraceptives in the Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama's sweeping health care law.

The slur set off a firestorm and Fluke was quickly catapulted to stardom. Obama called Fluke to express his support for her, and a flood of advertisers pledged to take their business elsewhere because of Limbaugh's comments. It also catapulted Fluke to a speaking slot at the Democratic National Convention in 2012, where she stressed equal pay for women and contraceptive coverage.

The race for the reliably Democratic seat has already drawn a lot of attention from area Democrats. Five other congressional hopefuls have filed for the Democratic Party's endorsement, including former mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel and state Sen. Ted Lieu.

The Washington Post first reported that Fluke was requesting the endorsement.

Filed under: 2014 • California • Congress • House • Sandra Fluke
  1. Ol' Yeller

"So that's what we want is a secure and sovereign nation and, you know, I don't know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me. I don't know that. What we know, what we know about ourselves is that we are a melting pot in this country. My grandchildren are evidence of that. I'm evidence of that. I've been called the first Asian legislator in our Nevada State Assembly."
    —Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle, speaking to a group of Hispanic high school students, Oct. 15, 2010

February 4, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Ol' Yeller

"We needed to have the press be our friend ... We wanted them to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported."
    —Nevada GOP Senate nominee and Tea Party favorite Sharron Angle, during an interview with Fox News Channel's Carl Cameron, Aug. 2, 2010

February 4, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

smith

@DM4O-Were we using military force in Libya, yes. Did that use of force cost the taxpayers, yes. Was their a war going on in Libya, yes. Was the US involved, yes. These are facts
    -------------------------------------------------
    Okay.
    But there is a big difference between " a war going on in Libya" and us going to war with Libya wouldn't you agree?

February 4, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. Ol' Yeller

"It sounds funny, but you need to be paying more for your health care."
    —Kentucky GOP Senate nominee and Tea Party favorite Rand Paul, on his version of health care reform, which calls for high-deductible insurance plans and people paying out-of-pocket for health care, (Details magazine, Aug. 2010)
    (But when one person does under the ACA, he is first in line to attack the President- what a rube!)

February 4, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. Ol' Yeller

"I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday. I think it is a tragedy in the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown - in this case a $20 billion shakedown ... I'm only speaking for myself. I'm not speaking for anyone else, but I apologize. I do not want to live in a county where anytime a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, [it is] subject to some sort of political pressure that, again, in my words, amounts to a shakedown."
    —Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) member of the Tea Party Caucus, during a congressional hearing with BP CEO Tony Hayward, referring to a $20 billion fund for damages that President Obama pressured BP to set up to pay for the Gulf oil spill. Barton, the biggest recipient of oil and gas industry campaign contributions in the House of Representatives, was forced by Republican leaders to apologize for his BP apology.

February 4, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. smith

@Rudy- So you are sayin` the US military was never in action in Libya?

February 4, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Lynda Minnesota
    I found myself slipping into their trap filled quagmire
    -------------------------------------------------
    Lynda!!!!
    So glad that you haven't suffered frostbite or any of those nasty things associated with bitterly cold weather.
    Yes. The "trap filled quagmire". I have found, whenever I take a dip in the cesspool, that my favorite scented shower gel and a highball at the end of the day makes everything right with the world again!
    I do understand your aversion to the ridiculous haste to hate on this thread.
    I think we all take a break from it once in a while.
    We miss you.

February 4, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. rs

smith

Boy, now here comes denial from the liberals. Rudy,Malory, and etc-Do you deny US involemnet in Libya? Do you deny US involement in Syria? Do you deny strikes in Yemen and Pakistan? Do you deny Obama has continued the war if Afghanistan?
    ____________________
    Your delusion? You compare them to the CF of Iraq and Afghanistan?

February 4, 2014 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. rs

just saying

Malory Archer
    smith
    @Rudy-I agree with the free wars concept. Shame on Obama for continuing the war in Afghanistan and dragging the US into Libya.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    President Obama got us into a war with Libya? Really? REALLY???!!! When did THAT happen?!
    -–

what do you call the use of our air force to kill people?

what obama accomplished was to kill somebody who was working with the usa against aq, throw libya into chaos, with large lawless areas that are now controlled by al quada affiliates that kill our ambassadors at will.
    ____________________________

Really JS? How do you sleep at night knowing Bush was responsible for the deaths of at least 125,000 Iraqi civilians, and making another 2 million Iraqis refugees? Or does that not matter because he is a member of the GOP?

February 4, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Wake up People!

Ol' Yeller, you are the man!!!

February 4, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. rs

I won't harp on your "never mind about civilians" because I know you were trying to make a point about the dastardly repubs and I know you care about the civilians dying.
    _____________________
    Good of you Tom- yes, I harp about it because the Right still sobs itself to sleep over 4 American deaths in Benghazi, and because the Right so honors life that it is willing to take away the rights of all women of reproductive age in America- all the while baiting open warfare anywhere it can.

Yes, I do care about civilians and innocents dying. But no one can touch the Bush/Cheney record. I also despise rank hypocracy used for cheap political polits.

February 4, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  12. smith

DM4O-Your missing the point. No matter what, war or military action cause suffering and pain no matter who is in the White House. Gop or Dem doesn`t matter. So if your gonna cry about the gop going to war or using military force you can`t turn around and say nothing or approve of war or use force when the dems do it and vice versa. That would be a double standard.

February 4, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. smith

@rs-No its your delusion. You seem to think when the dems go to war or use military force its ok, but when the gop does the same thing it is evil. Uh, double standard. War is bad no matter what.

February 4, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |