Biden's one reason NOT to run for President
February 5th, 2014
6 months ago

Biden's one reason NOT to run for President

(CNN) - As he considers another run for the White House, Vice President Joe Biden laid out one reason why he wouldn't want to be the nation's next chief executive.

"Everybody wants to know whether or not I'm going to run for president. There's a lot of reasons to run for president, but there's one overwhelming reason not to run for president," he said. "I'd like to get that (Corvette) Z06 from zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds."

His comments came at a conference in Washington for the United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, better known as the UAW.

"3.4 seconds!" he added, as the audience laughed.

A self-described "car junkie" whose father was a car salesman, the Vice President was loose and in his element Wednesday as he fired up the labor crowd, a friendly audience to the longtime labor ally who frequently talks about his roots in blue-collar Scranton, Pennsylvania.

"It's good to be home, and you guys are home for me," he said as he took the podium.

The Vice President said he was talking to the chairman of General Motors and expressed his longing to "drive this sucker," referring to the recently unveiled Z06.

The potential 2016 contender joked the only place he'd be allowed to drive it is on a test track with the Secret Service.

Because of security concerns, Biden isn't allowed to drive himself anymore.

However, he told a crowd last month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit that he did a 60-foot burnout with his 1967 Corvette Stingray down his driveway in Delaware last year, with a Secret Service agent in the passenger seat.

His comments Wednesday come after another potential 2016 Democratic candidate, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, admitted last week she hadn't driven a car since 1996.

Biden also thanked the union for supporting him throughout the years, and argued they have to be "vigilant and unrelenting" in fighting to protect collective bargaining rights.

"You've never left me, and I've never left you," he said. The Obama administration accelerated the auto bailout that saved thousands of jobs, including those of UAW members, at U.S. auto companies.

Poll: If not Clinton, then what kind of Democrat?

Biden also said organized labor was crucial to maintaining and building the middle class, thus keeping the American Dream alive.

"No matter what neighborhood you're from, you were taught by your parents in this country, you could be anything you want to be, anything at all, if you work hard. 'Just give me a chance, don't give me a hand up, give me a chance'."

Some of his rhetoric could spark more speculation of Biden's interest in another White House bid, a possibility he hasn't ruled out.

"I was raised in a house where my mother and father, who never went to college, said I can be anything I want, including vice president or president of the United States," he said to big applause.

CNN's Greg Clary contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Joe Biden
  1. just asking

-–

February 5, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  2. Rick McDaniel

As usual, Biden demonstrates, he is a buffoon.

February 5, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. simplyput

Maybe this should be the true vetting for next dem presidential candidate....who would drive the car through the 7-11 store sooner...Hillary or Joe?

February 5, 2014 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Haha liberals are fricking hilarious

February 5, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. Anastasia Beaverhausen

He's a better choice than any of the clown car candidates from the GOP side. But I'd rather have Hillary.

February 5, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. simplyput

I'll try again since CNN is so easily intimidated: Why not just make the dem vetting of presidential candidates for 2016 consist solely of one question: "Who will run the car through the 7-11 store quickest, Joe or Hillary?"

February 5, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  7. Bill

Joe

I would vote for you. You have a better shot than Hillery in my book

February 5, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. Al-NY,NY

because you'd lose Joe. HRC is the next POTUS.

February 5, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  9. truth hurts but reality bites

"You've never left me, and I've never left you," he said.

Joe Biden, bought and paid for by the unions. Thanks for being honest Joe. The nice thing about getting as old as Joe Biden is that you just don't given a damn about what you say. Just what we need in the White House. What could possibly go wrong?

February 5, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. Silence DoGood

@just asking "and drive it right through the front of the seven eleven... just as most old senile people eventually do."
    --------
    I was saying the other day that the GOP is racist, sexist, and homophobic. I forgot age-discrimination name-calling. Thanks "just asking".

February 5, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. simplyput

It's astounding that anyone who lived through the Clinton WH years wants a return to the "political correctness" that resulted in Barack Obama for president. Stand by your man. And yes, most dems I talk to would prefer Joe to be the one that drives through the 7-11 door.

February 5, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. just asking

jimmy carter
    walter mondale
    john kerry
    al gore
    joe lieberman (sorry, they drove him out of the party)
    john edwards (sorry, in jail or should be in jail)
    hillary clinton
    joe biden

got anymore old retreads you wanna throw out there dems?!!

February 5, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. bill

how about his IQ is the same as the room temp setting????

February 5, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Fair is Fair

What costs more to the taxpayer? Male depends or female depends?

February 5, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. rs

Wow, Right-wing blather. Look guys, you have the idiot birthers, the racist Koch paid for TEA Party and you conveniently forget the dregs: Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney to contend with in your ranks (never mid the anti-American Ted Cruz). I'll be very happy with the VP as the Democratic candidate if it comes to that.

BTW- do fast American cars scare you all?

February 5, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  16. rs

Fair is Fair

What costs more to the taxpayer? Male depends or female depends?
    _________________________
    Check Mr. reagan's records....

February 5, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Bubba

Republicans love to bash Hillary and Biden. But they can't match Hillary's intelligence, nor Biden's charm. So bash away Republitards, because you are about to lose; AGAIN.

February 5, 2014 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. SallyAnn

Are we going to see a repeat of the road show circus the GOP put on a couple of years ago? Talk about old retreads, Justasking, it looks like both parties have them, don't they? Can you see old Newt up there spouting off about "family values?"
    So far neither Hilary or Biden has given a clear answer if they will run or not. But right now, it's evident that the GOP has no viable person either. It will be interesting, won't it?

February 5, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  19. Wake up People!

It is a nice car Mr. VP!! I'm a car junkie too. I love my American muscle cars. Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, Chargers and Challengers! I'd have one of each if I could afford to!

February 5, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. Donna

Wake up People!

It is nice to see that even the leftist dregs aspire to among the 1%ers as well. Keep dreaming, and start working!

February 5, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

"I'd like to get that (Corvette) Z06 from zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds."
    ---------------------------------
    It's good to see that he wants an American car. I wonder if he knows about the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. It can from zero to 60 and back to zero in three seconds.

February 5, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. rs

Let's do a reality check, friends of the Right. Many of you feel the nation is about to vote for the GOP en masse in the last election. From where I sit, this is what I see:
    First, under Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, the GOP took 8 long years to crash this country: huge deficts, two of the longest wars in our history, slashed regulations, lost 8 million jobs, and on, and on. You crashed the ambulance-literally.
    Second, in the 5 years since, you guys have lieterally done nothing for America. You did not partake in any attept to recover the economy, you blocked 158 judicial appointments and countless federal agency appointments. You conducted almost 500 filibusters (more than in the rest of American History). You attempted to crash the economy with your shutdowns and held government hostage to your radical agendas. You've punished the poor, taken voting rights away from Blacks and women. The one thing you did do is endulge you fantasy of controlling the female reproductive system- 268 laws in the last 2 years- impressive!

Now, remind me- why would anyone vote for your guys?

February 5, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  23. rs

Donna

Wake up People!

______________
    Those are still blue collar cars- talk to Mr. Romney about what rides his car elevators on the Left Coast.
    No, no, the 1% drive 6 and 7 figure price-tag cars, not these.

February 5, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. rs

Rudy NYC

"I'd like to get that (Corvette) Z06 from zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds."
    -----------
    _________________
    Yeah, but the last examples are going for $1.2-$1.5 million a copy. A Vette will only set you back $80k.

February 5, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. Wake up People!

As if you even know what a job is Donna. Nothing but TPT.

February 5, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |