February 5th, 2014
6 months ago

Romney on 2016: 'The answer is no'

(CNN) – Mitt Romney stressed he is not going to run for president in 2016, despite recent speculation that there could be support for a third Romney run.

"The answer is no, I'm not running for president in 2016. It's time for someone else to take that responsibility and I'll be supporting our nominee," Romney said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

It's true Romney has been back in the spotlight lately. He was the subject of a Netflix documentary that released last month. He slow-jammed on NBC's "The Late Show with Jimmy Fallon," and he had a prime seat at the Super Bowl on Sunday.

He also made the top of the list in a recent New Hampshire survey of potential GOP primary contenders in 2016.

CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger reported this week that if New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's troubles continue, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush decides not to run, the theory is that Romney could, perhaps, become attractive to some donors.

But Romney said authoritatively that another bid is not in the cards.

"I appreciate the compliment; it's better than a kick in the teeth. At the same time I'm absolutely convinced that there are other people who would have a better chance of becoming the nominee and becoming the next president of the United States."

"I've had my turn, I gave it two good shots, didn't win and now it's time for someone else to do it. I'm not running for president," he continued. "I made that clear the morning after the last loss."

CNN/ORC Poll: Christie's loss appears to be Clinton's gain

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. wzn

Guys never wanna get beat by a girl, yall better go get Condelezza RIce!

February 5, 2014 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  2. NhiaV

I have one suggestion for the GOP if they want to win in 2016 election. Pick a more celebrity candidate like Ronald Reagan.
    Otherwise, they will lose again.

February 5, 2014 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. S-Hug

Americans have made it clear that they do not want an out-of-touch rich guy as their president. Furthermore, they are tired of condescending talk about small businesses, "job killing legislation," entitlement reform, and trickle-down economics. Politicians that have no respect for the working class will not get elected.

February 5, 2014 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. Flgeeman

He was a loser then and he still is...............

February 5, 2014 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  5. Widget_Master

I think he would have made a great president.

February 5, 2014 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  6. J bar

What a shame. Mitt is a good man, would have made a good pres

February 5, 2014 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  7. loudmusic

You mean to tell me there was actually talk about Romney going back for another shot at the brass ring? You gotta be kidding me. Guy shot himself in the foot in the last election. Damaged goods.

February 5, 2014 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  8. brian

"I'll be supporting our nominee."

Says so much about the state of politics in the US when Romney knows who he's supporting before he even knows their name.

February 5, 2014 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  9. suzy hager

I'm sorry to hear that. I am a Democrat.

February 5, 2014 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  10. gustifer53

I guess Romney isn't as dumb as he looks and acts...LMAO

February 5, 2014 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  11. blakenaustin

Romney should have won in 2012. He would have if the media had not been running interference for multiple Obama scandals. In 2016 the GOP can do far better than Romney. They need to select a strong, consistent, likable conservative. They will win in a landslide if they do.

February 5, 2014 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  12. Kate

Romney 2016!!!

February 5, 2014 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  13. Postmaster

Too bad, Mr. Romney. You would make a great president.

February 5, 2014 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  14. Gary

Romney says he's not going to run. It's time for somebody else to lose that race.

February 5, 2014 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  15. luke,az

Romney just doesn't get it, the people don't won't an out of touch rich guy.

February 5, 2014 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  16. Kalzone

Bummer! He would be perfect...fodder

February 5, 2014 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  17. DemFromSC

I'll sleep better tonight knowing that there will never be a President Romney. Thanks Mittens.

February 5, 2014 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  18. guest

He'll flip – flop

February 5, 2014 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  19. Steven Gold

How about Sarah Palin in 2016 to really make it scary/interesting.

February 5, 2014 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. Richie

Did he lose his concession speech again?

February 5, 2014 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  21. JJ

That's right, Myth. We already told you NO. End of story, loozer!

February 5, 2014 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  22. danielatlanta

Finally, something Romney said that I can endorse!

February 5, 2014 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  23. chris harrison

Smartest thing he's ever said. Time to leave the presidency to another - clearly - psychopath. And I mean that in the most psychologically accurate way. "Corporations are people, my friend!"

February 5, 2014 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  24. Truth1111

There is no chance for any Republican to win now that a dem African American has won. I believe the results presented that ~ 90% of African Americans and other minorities voted for Obama simply because of his skin color. This means that the only person who will take his place will either be a black man or a dem minority. Sadly, this may be the downfall of the US as a super power. Racism towards white republicans and not chosing the proper leader... Pathetic..

February 5, 2014 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |