February 5th, 2014
9 months ago

Romney on 2016: 'The answer is no'

(CNN) – Mitt Romney stressed he is not going to run for president in 2016, despite recent speculation that there could be support for a third Romney run.

"The answer is no, I'm not running for president in 2016. It's time for someone else to take that responsibility and I'll be supporting our nominee," Romney said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

It's true Romney has been back in the spotlight lately. He was the subject of a Netflix documentary that released last month. He slow-jammed on NBC's "The Late Show with Jimmy Fallon," and he had a prime seat at the Super Bowl on Sunday.

He also made the top of the list in a recent New Hampshire survey of potential GOP primary contenders in 2016.

CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger reported this week that if New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's troubles continue, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush decides not to run, the theory is that Romney could, perhaps, become attractive to some donors.

But Romney said authoritatively that another bid is not in the cards.

"I appreciate the compliment; it's better than a kick in the teeth. At the same time I'm absolutely convinced that there are other people who would have a better chance of becoming the nominee and becoming the next president of the United States."

"I've had my turn, I gave it two good shots, didn't win and now it's time for someone else to do it. I'm not running for president," he continued. "I made that clear the morning after the last loss."

CNN/ORC Poll: Christie's loss appears to be Clinton's gain

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Joe Plumber

He has a better chance of winning American Idol with his rendition of America the Beautiful than ever being nominated again.

February 5, 2014 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. Tumbleweed

Please Mitt, we need you NOW more than EVER now that Obama has gotten ANOTHER 4 years to drive America's economy into the ground. You're the ONLY ONE who has the economic leadership talent to SAVE US! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2014 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  3. KC Yankee

First sensible thing he has ever said about the presidency.

February 5, 2014 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. Tampa Tim

Wait a minute. . . He wants the baggers to beg him to run, and to throw his off shore accounts into the ring.

February 5, 2014 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  5. GTS58

Romney was a proven businessman – he knew how to create jobs – he had done it in the past! Instead the country elects a lightweight with zero business experience – a man with zero credentials – tons of hidden personal records that he had sealed and a history of association with radicals and terrorists. But because he was Blacks – all these factors were ignored – Obama was given a pass because he was a person of color – to this day, he get a pass – nobody will criticize him because of his skin color. And the damage he has done to the country can not be measured. Obama is the perfect example of what happens when you elect a person due to his skin color and not to his qualifications or competence. American has suffered greatly under his administration.

February 5, 2014 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  6. jackson

Thank you for not running, Romney. You saved us from a God from Kolob filled world.

February 5, 2014 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. lowell

You've done enough damage to the Republic. Please go away.

February 5, 2014 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. Devon

Though he's not the perfect candidate, we sure could use his economic expertise right now. This president, just like Bush is terrible with money.

February 5, 2014 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. why so serious

No one asked!

February 5, 2014 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. Geno Marcello

This is an open letter to Mitt Romney:

Dear Mr. Romney,

I have never before donated money to a person to run for political office, but in your case, I am making an exception. If you will reconsider running for President in 2016, I will donate $100 to your campaign fund. I am an independent voter and a former Republican. My late parents were Democrats. They were wonderful people, but I didn't agree with them on their political leanings. I am firmly convinced that your campaign could persuade 10 million Americans to each donate a minimum of $100 to put you in the Oval Office. We need you, Mitt Romney. America needs you. And the free world needs you. Geno Marcello, Springfield, MO.

February 5, 2014 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  11. Sonny

Yeah because he knows what it takes to win....bribe the American people with more Govt $. Everyone has their hand out saying "what will you give me if I vote for you". And Romney wont stoop to that level. Its really sad what America has become

February 5, 2014 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  12. Martin L.

It is no secret that Wolf Blitzer is enamored of Romney but please, leave him alone already! He has suffered enough.

February 5, 2014 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  13. AC

He can run, with SARAH PALIN.

February 5, 2014 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  14. rob522

I can't say much positive about Romney....but I will say he is not stupid. He knows full well Hillary will beat him like a drum.

February 5, 2014 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  15. John

Jimmy Fallon's show is LATE NIGHT, not THE LATE SHOW (Letterman).

February 5, 2014 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  16. rob522

I can't say many positive things about Romney....but I will say he is not stupid.
    He knows full well Hillary will beat him like a drum.

February 5, 2014 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  17. texasnotea

Tax evader

February 5, 2014 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. Bob MacKay

Jeb Bush?! No way. Hillary Clinton? No way. If the best our country has to offer is these two who are part of the same old same old, we are in serious serious trouble. ...New ideas, new faces please!!!!

February 5, 2014 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  19. Jim Simpson

I wish he would run again.

February 5, 2014 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  20. American Worker

Is there a General Patton reincarnate ready to run for President?

February 5, 2014 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  21. MIck

Of course because he will lose again!! Good luck GOP your party is out of touch with most people.
    Anti-women, Anti-minority, Ant-Poor and Anti-Gay so guess what the voters will be Anti-GOP!

February 5, 2014 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  22. Debbie

And never any of his sons either. Threats to the President? Not stable.

February 5, 2014 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Yay!!! Is that ALL the Romneys or just Mittens?

February 5, 2014 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  24. Paris Miller

The Mormon Christ won't be resurrected :-)

February 5, 2014 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  25. Davin

I wouldn't exactly call this news. In modern day politics, if you won a nomination and lost the bid, that's it.

February 5, 2014 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |