Sandra Fluke to pass on Congress but run for state Senate seat
February 5th, 2014
10 months ago

Sandra Fluke to pass on Congress but run for state Senate seat

Washington (CNN) - After considering a run for a Congressional seat in California, women's rights activist Sandra Fluke announced Wednesday she'll run for a state Senate seat instead.

"I feel there is better way for me to advance the causes that are important to our community," Fluke said in a statement. "After careful consideration, I am proud to announce my candidacy for the 26th District of the California State Senate."

Fluke had asked the California Democratic Party last week for their endorsement in the race for an open 2014 congressional seat. The incumbent, longtime Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman, announced he won't seek another term in November.

A spokesman for Fluke said Tuesday Fluke had asked for the endorsement protectively, in case she decided to run for the House seat. But she was still on the fence about a potential congressional bid as of Tuesday.

"While I strongly considered offering my candidacy for Congress, I feel there is better way for me to advance the causes that are important to our community," Fluke said in Wednesday's statement about her state Senate bid.

The 26th District of the California State Senate includes West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, and Santa Monica.

Fluke rose to political prominence after Rush Limbaugh called the then-Georgetown law student a "slut" and "prostitute" in 2012 for urging a Democratic congressional panel to support more coverage of contraceptives in the Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama's sweeping health care law.

The slur set off a firestorm and Fluke was quickly catapulted to stardom. Obama called Fluke to express his support for her, and a flood of advertisers pledged to take their business elsewhere because of Limbaugh's comments. It also catapulted Fluke to a speaking slot at the Democratic National Convention in 2012, where she stressed equal pay for women and contraceptive coverage.

The race for the reliably Democratic congressional seat has already drawn a lot of attention from area Democrats. Five other congressional hopefuls filed for the Democratic Party's endorsement, including former mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel and state Sen. Ted Lieu.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: California • Congress • Sandra Fluke
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

Good luck Sandra.

February 5, 2014 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  2. Tony in Maine

Good thinking. Save the run for Washington until a bit later when you've built a network.

You would make an excellent US Senator. Unfortunately, right now, California has two excellent US SEnators. :)

February 5, 2014 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  3. Tampa Tim

She would never have the real world experience that Bachmann, Gomert, King, and the rest of the baggers have? Really?

February 5, 2014 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Only CA Dems would ever consider voting for someone who expected the public to pay for the birth control.

February 5, 2014 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. FidyCents

The dumbing down of Kalifornia will be taken to new levels thanks to Ms. Fluke.

February 5, 2014 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. jpmichigan

This is very scary, like we don't have a filled quota on stupidity in Congress.

February 5, 2014 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. Silence DoGood

We need more like her to stand up to the veiled racism and sexism and homophobia fueling the conservative theocratic take over of this country.

February 5, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. smith

Her last name says it all.

February 5, 2014 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. Stuffitu

She can afford it because I am paying for her birth control with my 177% increase in health care premiums and she pays nothing. This stupidity and unfairness is bought to us by the democrat liberal "progressives."

February 5, 2014 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. Malory Archer

Look at all the frightened little misogynists lashing out like a cornered chupacabra! Your fear is life-affirming to those of us in reality.

February 5, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. Tampa Tim

StuffIt – You do realize we don't believe you, don't you?

February 5, 2014 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. One Question

Democrats seem to have a large quantity of these faux victims to put up for office. First the lying Wendy Davis, now this professional victim that has spent her whole life in school.

February 5, 2014 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. Silence DoGood

@Stuffitu
    "She can afford it because I am paying for her birth control ..."
    ---------–
    And if I have insurance with the same company as you, I am paying for part of your doctor visit down the road when you get sick with my monthly payments. That is how insurance WORKS. I may think you were stupid for having an avoidable accident and going to the hospital but that is how insurance WORKS. I am against some types of gun ownership. Can I tell my insurance company to stop covering gun accidents? No, because that is not how insurance WORKS.

February 5, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. Lynda

I can't stop frigging laughing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

February 5, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  15. Silence DoGood

I love the contrast of wild conservative rants here. I am seeing that she will "dumb down" her state and it is a problem because she has been in school so much. Just like when they say Obama has done nothing but is in complete control as a dictator. They must type random characters until what looks like a sentence fragment appears with the word "librul" in it.

February 5, 2014 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  16. Malory Archer

One Question

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, except Dem women aren't ANYONE'S victims – they're SURVIVORS!

February 5, 2014 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  17. Malory Archer

One Question

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, except Democratic women are nobody's victims – they're SURVIVORS, and your ilk CAN'T STAND that!

February 5, 2014 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Rudy NYC

Open congressional seats are quite rare, so I think she should go for it. BTW, when I say open seats are rare, what I am saying is that the seat that represents YOUR district is rarely open, perhaps only once or twice every couple of decades or so at best.

February 5, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  19. xray vision

Professional victim, well she is a politician in a Republican Texas, mad that she learned so quickly?

February 5, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. Flagship, NC

Good luck Sandra, stay the course.

February 5, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

xray vision

-------------------------–
    Texas? Having problems seeing through lead today?

February 5, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. xray vision

So many patients, so little time.

February 5, 2014 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. xray vision

Perhaps too many today, I was thinking of Wendy, long day already Rudy, thanks.

February 5, 2014 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. The Real Tom Paine

-Stuffitu

************************
    Its WiredWierdinSF, who once again tries to re-invent itself with yet another outrageous lie. What happened to all those employees whose min wage jobs you said were bleeding you dry back in '12?

February 5, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. CryBabies

Great....keep her in California...not much damage left to do there.

February 5, 2014 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |