Senate confirms Baucus for China post
February 6th, 2014
8 months ago

Senate confirms Baucus for China post

(CNN) – Sen. Max Baucus was confirmed unanimously Thursday by his Senate colleagues to be U.S. ambassador to China.

The Montana Democrat, who currently chairs the Senate Finance Committee, was tapped by President Barack Obama for the high-profile diplomatic post after announcing he would leave the Senate after serving six terms – nearly 36 years.

Baucus acknowledges that he is not a China expert but has traveled to the country several times and is excited to live and work there, according to his aides.

Baucus is replacing Gary Locke.

Filed under: Max Baucus • Senate
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

Congratulations Amb. Baucus, but I'm still a no on the T.P.P.

February 6, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  2. tom l

Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ tom l
    Now THAT was funny!
    =====

Ok. I guess we have different senses of humor. That's cool. But it certainly didn't make me angry or offended. And you made an effort to offend me. Again, Lorne Michaels was right. You do have a hard time taking a joke when it's directed at you. I will repeat. Very thin skin.

February 6, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Didn't they get the memo? They were supposed to attach an amendment to extend unemployment insurance.

I find the unanimous vote to be quite unexpected. What does it mean? It caught me unawares.

February 6, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. tom l

@The Real TP,
    If you were truly joking about libertarians than I guess I missed it and probably over reacted. I have read where you have called libertarians morally bankrupt (maybe not verbatim, but essentially you have) and so I felt like you were being serious.

I apologize if I misinterpreted what you said and maybe I should look in the mirror with regards to having a sense of humor. But it certainly was odd and confused me. I'm not sure what your point was. I have reached out to you in a friendly tone on serveral occasions so I'm not sure why you did it to get a rise out of me but ok. I'll take you at your word. I said it because I don't think you understand what a libertarian is so I'm open to hear what you truly think. And please, by all means, correct my thoughts on what today's liberal is as I feel that you guys are comfortable giving the govt more power because you have more faith in the govt than I do.

For the record, and let me make this abundantly clear, I don't think you're a bad person whatsoever. I think you're a very good person who only wants the best for the country. I just think we have different visions for how to accomplish that.

February 6, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

tom l actually wrote:

"Well, everytime I look at Jindhal I keep picturing him delivering that atrocious State of the Union reply on behalf of the GOP to President Obama's first ( ?) SOTU address.....then I bust out laughing all over again!
    Now THAT was funny!"

---------------------–
    Hey, tom. You forgot something. Where's the beef? Where's the personal insult in what was written?

Here you go again, manufacturing arguments over words that people never uttered, or wrote. What is it with you?

February 6, 2014 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. tom l

@Rudy,
    Huh? You're late to the party so you don't know the conversation.

February 6, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

Payback for supporting Obama.

February 6, 2014 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |