Senate fails to advance unemployment bill
February 6th, 2014
7 months ago

Senate fails to advance unemployment bill

Washington (CNN) - A Democratic proposal to continue long term unemployment benefits failed Thursday to get the 60 votes needed to clear a procedural hurdle in the Senate despite support from some Republicans.

It was defeated 58 to 40. Four Republicans voted with Democrats in favor of the measure that would have extended for three months benefits that expired in December.

The outcome leaves in doubt the prospects for extending the payments to people who are chronically out of work. Bipartisan negotiators have worked for several weeks to reach agreement but they haven't been able to bridge their differences.

Democrats insisted they have bent over backwards to address GOP concerns, including offsetting the costs and allowing votes on a handful of Republican amendments to the bill. They say Republicans fundamentally oppose extending the benefits any further.

Some Republicans have argued the extended benefits are a disincentive for people to find jobs and have wanted to tie reforms to the unemployment insurance program to the extension.

Republican negotiators wanted to vote on more amendments than Democrats were willing to accept and also wanted to repeal a reduction in cost of living increases for retired military personnel that was imposed as part of a recent budget agreement.

Recent national polling indicated strong majority support for extending long term unemployment benefits.

Filed under: Congress • Senate
  1. anonymous

If you want a strong economy and a country that works together then in hard times like these the GOP needs to stand behind it country to catch it when it falls. Just making the economy weaker and this goes to show sometimes the people who keep this country on it feet means nothing even when we fall or fail to meet politicians demands. Which is very amateur rather than pass a three month extension and help the people who help this country run rather than sitting in some fancy room making decision effecting real peoples lives some in which who have families and some who don't receive food stamps. People will continue to suffer until you help them. How about letting the people vote make decision on our lives that the Rep refuses to make because Dem refuse to follow there demands. Money is material but government make it seem like the root of all evil so whats the point of labeling our money with IN GOD WE TRUST?. How about really attacking the job market enforcing companies to have a hiring quota in every state by certain amount of thousands. Jobs is scares and so is the governments help to laid off works.

February 6, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. tom l

@Rudy
    "I used the term neo-libertarian the other day, and you claimed not know what that meant. Look in a mirror, tom. You're it."
    ======
    So I looked up neo-libertarian.

"Neolibertarians hold that the best form of national government is one that promotes liberty (free markets and civil liberties) and strong national defense policies, including the use of pre-emptive military engagements only if it is against a threat to freedoms and a danger to the nation"

It appears that you don't even know what the definition is. I believe that even Sniffit will agree this is not me as I am totally opposed to all of our foreign follies – both Bush's and Obama's. That term seems to be a bit of an oxymoron. And yes, I might be a moron but I am no neo lib.

February 6, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. sue

WHAT DO I DO NOW WHAT DO I TELL MY CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we are gonna be homeless I cant believe this

February 6, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. Mike

Chris, these people cannot find work. How about showing some actual compassion for your fellow countrymen. When it is you and your family should we just turn you out of your home, your car, go beg on the street for food? Where in the hell is your compassion for your fellow human beings?

February 6, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. nate

have any of you ever lost you job. most no i have family members who lost there jobs 6 months ago because there company sold out. and they apply for jobs everyday. they go to job fairs and still have no luck. hell even mcdonald wouldnt even hire them they would hire a 17yr old kid over them. they paid taxes and have never had to use unemployment til this time. So for them yeah they need it, one of them will lose there car and home soon if it dont get fixed.

February 6, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. len

America wake up. Better vote these bums out in 2014. Do not wait!

February 6, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. viola beckner

Iam offended by the folks saying to move on about extending unemployment benefits.i have worked every day since i was 14 years old, and i was recently fired due to my age.Irecieved unemployment for 20 weeks in my state and then they stopped the extension,Although I have worked my whole life I have about 50 apps out there and no bites so far i follow up on them and I constantly call in regards to them still no job.So if you are one of them republicans that think unemployed people are lazy and sit around getting goverment handouts then you are dumb as hell.Ihave never gotten a handout or anything from the government,also i have worked my whole life now that i am 49 years old i am finding it hard to find a job people dont want to hire you when you are a certain age I am willing to take any job because i have bills to pay and it is tough when you dont have a job......

February 6, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Al

I'm guessing the people unemployed in Republican states will now vote Democratic. And there IS a time limit on unemployment benefits, but this time limit was cut short. I am unemployed at 63 years of age. I have paid into the system all my life. Age Discrimination is against the law, but happens, especially to older folks. So now, I guess we will see more homelessness and increases in Welfare. I won't have an address to put on my resume. I suggest we eliminate the pay for Congressmen for life ($174,000). Do our men on the battlefield get their pay for life? Once out of office, freeze the assets of millionaire Congressmen, and let them collect unemployment benefits like us.

February 6, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. mattew

go except for as long as theykept us waitin for money let them wait for theres

February 6, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. never voting republican again

I've been working since I was 14. Paid my own way through college with 6 jobs. Half my company was laid off due to budget cuts. Try getting hired when they tell you that you are "too educated" or "too experienced" or they don't want to hire you because you'll "probably leave" once a better paying job opens up. I have voted republican my whole life- NEVER AGAIN.

February 6, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Doc

Chris

The government is safe guarding big oil with $29 billion /year tax subsidies.
    Rich farm conglomerates get billions..farmers.ewg.or
    Corporate welfare $$$

When people need help the GOP says...NO!
    Quit believing the GOP propaganda and do some research.

February 6, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Sandra

I have been looking for a job for a year. I am sorry but because i am 57yreas old I am not considered for many positions. My savings is gone I lost my home. I love working I want a job I want to work . I am losing everything help me out, I can give back!! Please help me .

February 6, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  13. Name Roni Dyer

I'm screwed. No groceries, no rent and no job. Thank you for your concern. None of you will get my vote.

February 6, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. Republican Voter

I was out of work for several months in 2013. Took a job for 50% less only to find the company closed 2 weeks before Christmas. Extending the benefits will allow me to re tool myself. Today I am sorry I ever voted republican and will not vote that way ever again.

February 6, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  15. TK

My guess on this would be Republicans Want to add alot more Hoops for the unemployed to jump though with all the amendments they wanted add just so we can "earn" our extention, in the meantime people are getting evicted from there homes and cant AFFORD to drive anywhere.. I know my car insurance has already lapsed and my tags expire next month for my plates, and its not getting any better.
    Republican supports wanna cry saying thing like you bums have been on unemployment for 99 Weeks, thats a joke.. almost no ones had extentions that long, and if they had then YES they where probably not trying.. i was on the Extention for 2 WHOLE WEEKS Does that mean im lazy? heck no.. but i bet there are thousands of people in my shoes now where you arnt in a big city with buses and little is in walking distance... and im sure that other people who've lost there primary transportation though not being able to pay bills for there car just to keep the heat on are now "not counted among the unemployeed" -_-
    Lastly To the workers right now who say "swollow your pride and work fast food" You think people havent tried that?? The McDonalds here is fully staffed.. And with more and more people being cut off without any government extention places like those will stay fully staffed.. Its just nice to know where we stand to the senate..
    Oh yeah and Im sure its also "refreshing" for republican senators the new law for unemployment rule against millionares didnt pass since they may be given the boot come election..
    To everyone else out there hurting, im sorry our Government has failed us.. do whatever you can to keep your families going... ~~~TK~~~

February 6, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. countingdown

Why would they need to extended the extended,extended,extended, extended,extended, unemployment benefits? Obama said he has a deal with top companies to hire them. BTW, the original vote was 59 to 39 with Reid changing his vote to no making it 58 to 40 so he could recall the vote later.

February 6, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

-Chris

When did it become the government's job to safe guard our futures? What happened to personal responsibility and not living beyond your means? I took a 50% pay cut and I adjusted my spending habits and continued to work. Quit being a victim and blaming other and move on.
    ********************************
    What the hell were you, a hedge fund manager? Quit fabricating a life story to prove a point. Living beyond your means went out of fashion generations ago, when the memories of the last great GOP economic debacle began to fade: Ironically enough. during a time time when the top income earners in thsi country were taxed more than twice what they are now. Strange thing is, there was no great backlash against it because the money went to improve roads, schools, etc, something the current GOP seems to think is handled by magic pixie dust.

February 6, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. JumpedTheFence

This is the most heartless, soulless, and godless thing Republicans have ever done to American citizens, American veterans, and their own voters. I'm a US army vet who voted Republican for 32 years. Never again. I'll vote for a dead guy before I vote for another Republican again in my life. Vote them all out. Every election from this point on needs to be an uphill battle for Republican candidates.

February 6, 2014 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  19. Charles Abrams

We need are benefits, soon as possilbe. Maybe put some kind relocation optons in the bill... Are parents should not have to take us in.. Take my shoes!

February 6, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. wiken999@gmail.com

The democrats are running the show. They totally prevent the republicans from having input on any major issues, and then crucify them when they don't go along with their liberal program. You folks need to wise up before you really get what you all want, a welfare state, and a third rate country.

February 6, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"failed Thursday to get the 60 votes needed to clear a procedural hurdle in the Senate despite support from some Republicans."

"REPUBLICANS FILIBUSTERED UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS"

FIFY

Talk about bending over backwards to euphemize it. The word "filibuster" doesn't even appear in the article because CNN is so freekin afraid of giving the GOP/Teatrolls a sad.

February 6, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  22. bobo

But..... Dems have the majority! What Dems did NOT vote for this???

February 6, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"I believe that even Sniffit will agree this is not me as I am totally opposed to all of our foreign follies"

I'll have to give you that one, tom...you have been pretty clear on that point.

February 6, 2014 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Kesha

If no extension add jobs back to the economy so that we can work this is a no brainer we can help other country but can't get are own house together so sad for all that are involved I will make sure the word gets out on everyone who voted no to make sure this will be there last seat making decisions for us how do u sleep at night greed will distroy America devils I pray you find yr minds

February 6, 2014 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  25. Disappointed

I'm 42 years old. I've never had a problem getting a job until now. This is the 2nd time I"ve ever really drawn unemployment, this first time was for about 2 weeks. I've done everything required to receive unemployment. Applied for numerous jobs. Has the unemployment office lifted one finger to assist me with job placement? NO. I'm already past due on my bills and really prayed hard for this to pass. Now, unless I find work soon, I will lose my house, car, and who knows what else. My credit will be destroyed for the next 7 years. Don't eve know where to go from here. I can we continue to fee money to everyone abroad but not lift a finger to help our citizens...OUR CITIZENS.

February 6, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |