First on CNN: Ready for Hillary heads to South Carolina
February 7th, 2014
6 months ago

First on CNN: Ready for Hillary heads to South Carolina

Dallas, Texas (CNN) - Ready for Hillary, the independent group laying groundwork for a potential Hillary Clinton presidential bid in 2016, will make its first public foray into the early primary state of South Carolina later this month with a fundraiser in the state capital of Columbia.

The low dollar event – like many Ready for Hillary fundraisers, the price of admission is just $20.16 – will be hosted by state Rep. Bakari Sellers “and special guests,” according to a copy of the Feb. 20 invitation obtained by CNN.

Officials from the super PAC, operating with the tacit blessing of Clinton and her allies, have already made appearances in Iowa and New Hampshire, the two leadoff voting states in the presidential nominating process.

That Sellers agreed to co-host the event is significant: A young African-American state legislator and the son of a civil rights legend, Sellers was an early backer of Barack Obama’s presidential primary campaign in the state in 2008.

With overwhelming support from the state’s black voters, Obama trounced Clinton in the South Carolina primary and righted his campaign after a stunning loss a week earlier in New Hampshire. Seeing the writing on the wall that evening, Clinton picked up and left South Carolina before the final results were even tallied, flying on to the Super Tuesday state of Tennessee.

Sellers, now running for Lt. Governor, called the fundraiser “exciting” and said he wants “to do whatever we have to do to get the Democratic base excited for this November and the future of 2016.”
“I’m proud and honored people in her camp would involve me in that process,” he told CNN.

Asked if he would endorse Clinton if she decides to run again, Sellers said, “It’s hard to say you would endorse somebody who isn’t running yet.”

But, he added, “I support the former first lady. It’s early. But I do support these efforts.”

1. Rudy NYC

Cue the complaints about the PAC from conservatives. The right wing didn't seem to have any problem when the Koch funded PAC, "Americans For Prosperity", dropped at least $40 million into Wisconsin's Governor Scott Walker's recall vote. At twenty bucks a head, they just might do quite well.

February 7, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

South Kakalaki will turn blue in 2016.

February 7, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. Thomas

Why wast money on this election , she will win no doubt !

Rand Paul / "Louie" Gohmert 2016

Libertine sensibility , with Southern charm .

February 7, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. ChrisM

Welcome Madam President and First Gentleman President Bill Clinton

February 7, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Beth

Go Hillary! Where do I sign up to volunteer?

February 7, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Abbey

What the black vote doesn't trust a Clinton? Oh my she's in trouble already!

February 7, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Abbey

Clinton can count on thing for sure in South Carolina, no electoral votes in 2016. LOL

February 7, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. Bill from GA

Its good that they start early raising money.

I remember following the 2008 campaign how Hill and Bill were begging for money for a year or more to pay off their campaign debt. They spent money they didn't have, and then rather than go to their stash of millions, they expected middle-income Americans to cover for them.

Real Class

Anybody but the above for 2016

February 7, 2014 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Wake up People!

Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi!

Monica! Monica! Monica!

There, I've started your weekend red meat off for you guys!!

February 7, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. smith

Someone please throw a rotten tomato at her.

February 7, 2014 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. PaulCat

----Hillary 2016---

February 7, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

God! I hope she runs. She runs, she wins. With any luck at all there'll be a complete rout of republican dim-wits, and the ouster of many now setting in office. What a pleasant day that will be. Hello Mrs. President, and welcome.

February 7, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Tampa Tim

February 7, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. Bill from GA

Tampa Tim – Bill GA – Kinda like Newt and Santorum. Hillary did pay back her campaign debt obligation.

Yeah, "With a Little Help from My Friends" (50 years since the Beatles arrived here!!)

And I'm not at all crazy about Hillary, but I wouldn't stoop to comparing her to Newt and Santorum, even if it is true. But You go ahead, I'll sit back and laugh.

February 7, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

South Kakalaki will turn blue in 2016.
    --------
    I'll smoke what he's smoking.

February 7, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. CryBabies

@ smith...Why a rotten one? Just a very ripe, juicy one.

February 7, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Bill from GA

Its good that they start early raising money.

-----------------------
    What's your opinion on Mitt Romney doing a similar thing in 2012? He allowed his campaign to get beat up all summer by the Obama campaign because they lacked the funds to fight back with sufficient ads of their own. Romney relied on donations from the middle class, but most especially the 1%'ers. I'm not aware of him spending a dollar of his own money.

February 7, 2014 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

"When Fair says crack down "HARD", I think she means rounding people up and deporting them, en masse. I don't see how she could possibly be talking about anything else. Fair wants our "laws enforced", which is the current, meaningless battle cry among consrvatives on the immigration issue."
    ---------------------------–

February 7, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. The Real Tom Paine

-CryBabies

@ smith...Why a rotten one? Just a very ripe, juicy one.
    **********************************
    Yes, nothing says Conservative values like a pointless joke about heaving fruit at a public figure you don't like. However , if you did, I would love to see the Secret Service tase your sorry a$$ afterwards, and play back the footage repeatedly.

February 7, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Ol' Yeller

Yes! I love the fact that the demoralized republicants are already facing the FACT that they will have NO viable candidate to run against Hillary in 16'. Their great white hope is likely headed for prison, the plagiarist in cheif, fake eye doctor will never gain support in a national election, and ted cruz... well, he's ted cruz and no sane person would actually vote for him. Their bench is shallow with mundane loons, none of who could beat Biden, much less our heavy weight.
    They have been relegated to sitting in the back trying to goad one of their lesser brained colleagues to throw vegetables.
    Gotta love it!

February 7, 2014 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"The metric was changed when Reid invoked the nuclear option, yet the vote still failed."

LOL. No, "the metric" of requiring 60 votes for cloture has not changed with respect to anything other than the filibuster no longer being available with respect to nominees for appointed positions. The "nuclear option" was about as non-nuclear as it could get. It will be the GOP/Teatrolls who get rid of the filibuster with respect to everything else if they ever take the Senate. They'll do it as revenge, will have no justification for it other than "the other guys started it" and they'll then completely suffocate the minority, passing their entire wish list agenda. If it happens while Obama is in office, they'll commence a program of forcing Obama to set a record for vetoes just so they can try to manufacture "parity" and a false equivalence with respect to the past 6 years of them acting like petulant obstructionists.

February 7, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

-------------–
    I still think that they should have removed the silent filibuster first, before taking the step that they did. The silent filibuster is supposed to save valuable time, but the end result is that any number of bills can be blocked at once, even by the same person. I say make them filibuster items one at a time in front of the American people.

February 7, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Bill from GA

Rudy NYC – "What's your opinion on Mitt Romney ..."

Thanks, Rudy, for reminding me of that.
    I'll be sure NOT to vote for mitts in 2016.
    Happy?

February 7, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. tom l

@Rudy
    "Big deal. I guessed, and I guessed I wrong. Apparently, doing so is a high crime and misdemeanor in right wing world, though."
    =====

Apparently it's not just a "right wing world" thing. This came from Lynda to me yesterday (and I actually had reason and proof behind why I said what I did)

"Good grief, tom I. Considering the length you went to in telling Tom Paine WHAT HE THINKS, why wait for a response? Why not simply take it to the next step and type his rebuttal for him as well, thus saving Tom Paine the trouble of responding to a comment he had no input in but apparently had his thoughts recorded by you?"

February 7, 2014 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

Fair is Fair
    Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

South Kakalaki will turn blue in 2016.
    --–
    I'll smoke what he's smoking.
    ----------------------------------
    Kush! But it's not that far fetched Fair. Not only will Hillary have majority of the African American vote, she'll convert some republican women to vote for her as well.

February 7, 2014 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |