Colorado Poll: Pot getting more support, but majority say it's harmful to state's image
February 10th, 2014
2 months ago

(CNN) - Slightly more Colorado voters support the state's new recreational marijuana law now than six months ago, according to a new Quinnipiac University survey.

The new poll also indicates that a slim majority consider the law as harmful to the state's image.

Ticking upwards in support

Fifty-eight percent of voters support the legalization of pot, up from 54% in August, the poll shows. The selling of marijuana became legal on January 1.

The four percentage point margin falls within the survey's sampling error.

Breaking the numbers down by demographics, 39% of Republicans support the new law, while 76% of Democrats and 55% of independents favor it.

The law is much more popular among those in the 18-29 age bloc, with 78% in support. The number drops as the age gets older. Only 33% of those 65 or older support the law.

Clouding the state's image?

While support seems to be trending upwards, a majority of Colorado voters, 51%, say the new law is bad for the state's image, compared to 38% who disagree and 10% who are unsure or don't have an opinion.

Another bare majority, 51%, say they have tried marijuana previously, but only 10% say they have used marijuana since it became legal last month.

Current law allows Coloradans to grow up to a dozen marijuana plants in their homes. More than seven in 10 say they wouldn't be bothered if one of their neighbors was growing marijuana.

Only 17% say it is very or somewhat likely they would try marijuana brownies at a gathering. Eighty-one percent would be somewhat or very uncomfortable riding in a car with a driver who's had moderate amounts of marijuana

Quinnipiac interviewed 1,139 registered voters in Colorado by telephone from January 29 to February 2. The overall sampling error is plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Colorado • Marijuana • Polls
  1. Donna

Fair is Fair
    I'm OK with legalization. What I'd like to know is how employers, including government, are going to be able to enforce workplace drug testing for something that's legal to use.
    -–

February 10, 2014 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. ThinkAgain - If you want Congress to actually do something FOR the American people, vote OUT the repub/tea bag majority

"It is an intoxicant. Show up drunk or stoned and get fired. My policy would be High=BYE-BYE!"

Knock me over with a feather – I'm agreeing with Donna!

February 10, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

Donna

Fair is Fair
    -–

--------
    Not saying that at all. What I'm saying is personal use off hours will show up as a positive on an employment drug test, and if it's legal to use, again OFF HOURS, it should not be a fireable offense.

February 10, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

The difference is that it can be traced in your body for maybe up to 30 days. If you smoke some pot on a Friday evening, it won't have an effect on your job performance on Monday morniing. No one is saying it's OK to use while on the job... current workplace testing for marijuana is indiscriminate, though.
    ---------------------–
    Technically, the THC is not detectable because your body consumed it. They test for the by-products of the body metabolizing the THC. That's how most drug tests work, by detecting the by-products. Overtime the nature and concentration of the by-products changes, so they can actually tell whether or not any trace by-products are the result of recent usage or not.

February 10, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. just asking

does obamacare, medicaid and medicare pay for medicinal marijuana? if not why not? if it is medicinal, then why isn't the taxpayer picking up the tab?

February 10, 2014 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Me

Time for legalization to spread throughout the US!!! A Majority of American's (not just Colorado residents) think it should be legal so what is the problem, legalize and tax just like Cigs and Booze!!! Funny, I never thought I would see this in my lifetime 10 years ago but now I think it will happen in the next 10 years.

February 10, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. Donna

Fair is Fair
    Donna
    Fair is Fair
    -–
    --–
    ---

If it is still in your system then there are consequences. How are employers supposed to know how long it has been there? Bottom line is employers can terminate people for any reason, or no reason at all. If you are working where they test for drugs then if you want to keep your job, I would strongly suggest to NOT smoke marijuana.

What you do on your own tome IS your business. But when you show up to work, then it is now the employers business as well if it is still in your system. Welcome to the real world kiddies.

February 10, 2014 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. Wake up People!

Fair, I can't believe you and I are once again on the same page......

February 10, 2014 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Me

Rudy NYC

Here's a radical thought. Instead of asking Colorodans whether or not the new marijuana law is harmful to the state image, how about asking people outside of Colorado what they think of Colorado and its' new marijuana law.
    ______________
    I like this idea, I don't agree with you much Rudy but I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I think more highly of Colorado now, they listened to their citizens, voted on, and updated the law to reflect that, that is what we need more of here in the US, LISTEN TO THE CITIZENS!

February 10, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  10. Dean

I was planning a 2-week vaction in CO this summer. Because of this law, I'll be taking my family to AZ instead. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

February 10, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. Tommy G

Dean
    -–

I agree 100%... this dumb move will only serve to attract more stoners and losers to Colorado. The tourism business is going to take a hit and nobody with kids is going to want to take the chance of subjecting them to this.

February 10, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. Me

Fair is Fair

________________________
    I have wondered the same thing, will they stop testing for pot or will they keep testing for it? I think they have the right to still test if they want but will they keep doing it???

February 10, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  13. Fair is Fair

Donna

Fair is Fair
    Donna
    Fair is Fair
    -–
    ––

--------
    I think you're both making and missing my point. I agree that no one should be allowed to show up at work impaired. I also agree that there's no way (currently) for the test to show how long it's been since ingested. Where we disagree is that if recreational use is legal, I don't think that employers should be allowed to can someone for using an intoxicant ON THEIR OWN TIME. Unfortunately, as it stands right now, the test doesn't measure intoxication levels like a breathalyzer does for alcohol. Which brings up an interesting point – if someone was in a car accident and a drug test confirmed that the person had used marijuana at some point in the recent past, should that driver be charged with operating under the influence?

February 10, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

Donna wrote,

----------------------------------
    It's not in your system. Your body completely metabolizes drugs within a few hours. Depending upon the nature of the drug tests, most do not check for the presence of THC, heroin, or cocaine. A urine sample checks for the presecene of the by-products of the drugs being metabolized. The drugs themselves frequently do not show up in blood tests because the body's cells are absorbing the drugs until they are all gone, leaving only by-product wastes behind.

February 10, 2014 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |