Updated 7:31 p.m. ET, 2/11/2013
Trenton, New Jersey (CNN) – Gov. Chris Christie got some good news Tuesday.
He can use campaign funds to cover the cost of complying with subpoenas from the U.S. Attorney in New Jersey and a state legislative committee to his reelection committee.
They are investigating suggestions top Christie appointees orchestrated traffic jams around the George Washington Bridge last year in Fort Lee to punish that town's mayor for not endorsing the governor for reelection.
The decision by the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission also allows the reelection committee to raise money to pay for legal fees and other costs associated with complying with the subpoena.
It does not cover the governor's personal legal fees or former employees of his reelection campaign.
The scandal involving access lane closures to the nation's largest bridge over a work week last September has roiled the Christie administration and clouded any potential presidential bid by the two-term governor.
In a new development, New Jersey State Police said on Tuesday that three helicopter flights Christie took during the period of the lane closures never went over the bridge.
Christie has said he didn't know about the traffic gridlock until after it occurred and learned about it from media reports.
State lawmakers leading the investigation of the bridge scandal have subpoenaed the State Police aviation unit asking for more information.
In a separate development, a law firm for Christie's office has requested documents from the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee and his staff.
Attorney Randy Mastro sent the open records request to Mayor Mark Sokolich's office on Monday.
The firm asked for any and all documents from August 1 pertaining to the access lane closures.
Mastro also asked for communications between Sokolich's office and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey as well as any documents pertaining to requests for an endorsement and conversations with Christie's re-election campaign.
The Port Authority operates the nation's largest bridge and is where a top Christie appointee embroiled in the scandal worked.
In addition, Mastro is seeking documents related to the lane closures that the mayor and his staff may have provided to the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and other news outlets.
An official from Sokolich's office told CNN they have forwarded the request to their counsel for review.
Mastro sent a similar request to Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer, also a Democrat, related to her claims that members of Christie's administration held Superstorm Sandy recovery funds hostage in exchange for approval of a real estate development project in that city.
Zimmer's office declined to provide documents. In a letter, Zimmer's lawyers questioned the appropriateness of the governor's office "investigating itself" when there is already a federal probe underway.
U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman is also looking into Zimmer's allegations as well.
CNN's Ashley Killough and Steve Kastenbaum contributed to this report.