February 14th, 2014
7 months ago

Banks cleared to accept marijuana business

(CNN) – The U.S. government issued rules on Friday for the first time allowing banks to legally provide financial services to state-licensed marijuana businesses.

The Justice Department issued a memorandum to prosecutors that closely follows guidance last August largely limiting federal enforcement priorities to eight types of crimes.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Marijuana
  1. CALIFORNIA

Consider it LEGALIZED.

February 14, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  2. Kinard

The war on drugs was never about the real perpetrators needing caught, then prosecuted. The real problems came from the bankers to begin with. The solution would have been easier to achieve if they, the bankers, had been the targets of investigation from the start. But who did our leaders go after, you guessed it, they went about it from the wrong end.

February 14, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. Reggie53

I do not like the direction that our country is heading. I think God is so unhappy with us Americans and that is why we are suffering with the winter storms that we are experiencing. He is trying to tell us to turn around and get back on the right track because we are destroying our people and country. We are really heading down that wrong path and once we get to the end there will be no turning back. We had better open up our eyes and change the wrong that we are doing and try to get back on the right path. I am so disappointed with our president and his administration....I do not believe that any one of them are christians so hence the direction they are taking us.

February 14, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Tampa Tim

America, love it or leave it. I do not believe RWNJs are Christians.

February 14, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. Gurgyl

We're they NOT issuing these services to wine shops, abc stores. What is wrong with this. Ask Colorado.

February 14, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. Silence DoGood

@Reggie53
    -------------
    It is a moot point whether they are Christians or not in your opinion. This country was founded by a mix of agnostics, christians, catholics, quakers, deists, theists, and masons to be a Free Country where all religions were welcome. It was not, is not, or never should be, God willing, a Christian country.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
    ~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams

“I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, January 26, 1799

February 14, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Malory Archer

Reggie53, please stop attempting to cram YOUR religion down everyone's throats! America is not now, nor has it EVER been a christian nation.

February 14, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Wake up People!

There's nothing wrong with weed, the government just wants to make sure they get their cut.

Now legalize it!

February 14, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. TONE

@Reggie53

I agree Reggie, rich get richer at the expense of the poor, children are starving, racism is at an all time high, classification of rape as either legal or illegal (legitimate rape), and our vets are suffering when they return from war, and a whole lot more.

February 14, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

Reggie53

**********************
    So, the water table being restored to its normal levels so we can grow the food we need is a sign of God's displeasure? Who appointed you a prophet of God, or did you do that yourself?

February 14, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Wake up People!

So Reggie, you think God is upset with THIS administration? How do you think God felt about 100 years ago? I guarantee if he's upset now, he was furious then. Also I think God is the reason President Obama was elected and reelected. With him all things are possible.

February 14, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  12. Silence DoGood

@Malory Archer
    ---------
    The rise of this Theocracy Movement is very scary. They have created an imaginary history that looks like something from a bad 50's movie. Their agenda is essentially what the Taliban's is. I cannot be kind about this.

February 14, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. anonymous

February 14, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Bill from GA

Any memorandum to prosecutors issued by the Justice Department could just as easily be rescinded by the next Justice Department.

We need the President and the Congress to pass laws removing Federal penalties on marijuana. The laws could still be changed with other laws, but not at the whim of a small number of people.

Freedom for All.

February 14, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Lynda/Minnesota

"I think God is so unhappy with us Americans and that is why we are suffering with the winter storms that we are experiencing."

Well, OK. And, hey. Thanks for explaining why we've been experiencing such frigid weather in Minnesota. Using your gift of prophesy, when we reach 90 degrees this summer will this then mean that God is once again happy with those of us living in Minnesota?

February 14, 2014 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"The rise of this Progressive Movement is very scary. They have created an imaginary history that looks like something from a bad 30's movie. Their agenda is essentially what the Stalin's was. I cannot be kind about this."

You also apparently can't be sane about it either.

"I think God is so unhappy with us Americans and that is why we are suffering with the winter storms that we are experiencing"

And I think religion and God are distortions of reality invented by petty, self-serving men as a means of preying on the weak and gullible. I guess we're at an impasse. Perhaps if you talked to all the spaceturtles holding up the planet, they'd be willing to shift position to make the weather a little better?

February 14, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. tom l

when they deposit some green, they deposit some green!!

Hey-oooooo!

February 14, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. Tampa Tim

Annie Mouse the wingnut – only in your mind.

February 14, 2014 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. Malory Archer

anonymous

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Care to provide a few credible examples?

February 14, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. Silence DoGood

@anonymous
    The rise of this Progressive Movement is very scary.
    -----------
    OK I say the Theocracy Movement is scary – you say Progressive movement is scary. Immensely clever. I am glad to be part of the Progressive Movement. Progressive countries (socialized medicine etc.) are always in the top ten "happiest" countries on surveys. Can the same thing be said about Theocracies like Iran? Are you proud to be part of this Theocracy Movement? We need to get the honest name out there so people know.

February 14, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. it must be stated

so when are all of the working girls going to be free to practice their livelyhood without fear of prosecution? when are the demorcats going to stop that war on working women?

February 14, 2014 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Me

Legalize it already!! Mr President, please act like one, you have the ability to remove pot from schedule I, you might not have the ability to change the law and legalize it but you can at the very least START the process!!! Don't do your usual and talk the big talk with no action, you commented about it so TAKE ACTION!! You might convince me to actually vote democratic if you do the right thing cause I don't want a repub coming in and changing your action on this! DO IT! I have back problems and my state does not have medical pot and I am sick of not having a choice in my treatment! My choice now is live with it or pills, this needs to change!!

February 14, 2014 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Silence DoGood

@it must be stated
    ----------
    I know pot is legal now in places but Dude, go easy at first.
    When the GOP looks at some of their voting base they must say "what have we done?".
    It is like when you talk to the tin foil hat guy at the bus stop then you realize he is trying to follow you home.

February 14, 2014 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. CryBabies

Tampa Tim...I don't think very many people care what you think as your facetious demeanor is a little much.

February 14, 2014 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. Bill from GA

The issue with marijuana should not be why should we legalize it.

As a 'Free Country', we should be asking: How can we justify arresting 750,000 Americans each year for no good reason? Shouldn't we have a high (no pun intended) standard for what justifies arresting our countrymen?

It shouldn't matter if you are a democrat or a republican, if you have ever smoked pot or do it every day. We shouldn't criminalize any behave without a good reason.

February 14, 2014 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |