February 14th, 2014
8 months ago

Judge deems Virginia's same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

(CNN) - A federal judge in Virginia has struck down the commonwealth's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional, according to court documents.

"These laws deny Plaintiffs their rights to due process and equal protection guaranteed under the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution," U.S. District Judge Arenda Wright Allen wrote in her opinion.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Same-sex marriage • Virginia
  1. rs

Rick McDaniel

That battle is lost to the socialists. There will be no turning back.
    ____________________
    Explain- how is equal rights is "socialism"- or better, why the GOP feels it must be able to demean the LGBT community and deny it the same rights the rest of us enjoy; why it must take away voting rights of minorities; why it seeks to reduce American women to breeding stock status; why it attempts to crush the middle class and build a permanent working poor?

February 14, 2014 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

Tommy G

Voters and citizens have no rights anymore. Judges will just deem the way will live from now on. Welcome to the fundamental transformation of America.
    *************
    So, can we now agree that you are against an independent judiciary? Sucks to be you, I guess.

February 14, 2014 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"This country is far too polarized as it is, thank you very much."

Oh, absolutely. But, am I painting with too broad a brush? I think not. To think so would be to brush away what I have read over the past 6 years on this thread and so many other threads. I'm not foolish enough not to see what others are to filled with denial to understand or accept.

February 14, 2014 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. rs

Sniffit

"Agreed. Leaving this in limbo does no one any good."

You don't have to convince us. You have to convince the religio-fascist folks in the GOP/Teatrolls that what they believe is a useful wedge issue for securing voters has now turned into very damaging self-flagellation.
    _______________________
    Oh, no doubt. The GOP is the great wedge which is really pretty remarkable at making electoral mountains out of mole-hills. They'll hold on to this one until their last breath.

February 14, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda MInnesota
    Did you get any sledding in?
    -------------------------------------------------
    I guess I haven't completely come to terms with my rheumatic condition,
    "What the hell are you going to do once you reach the bottom of the hill?" I had to ask myself.
    "Who's going to drag your arthritic butt back UP the hill?"!
    LOL!

February 14, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  6. Stuffitu

Why would the citizens of a state think that they know what is best for them when some democrat liberal progressive judge knows what is best. If people could actually think for themselves and spend their money how they wanted, there would be know democrats or corrupt unions.

February 14, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. Silence DoGood

@Fair is Fair
    Lynda/Minnesota

"Why do conservatives get so upset about freedom for all people. They don't understand that freedom and tolerance for people that look and believe like them is not really tolerance at all."

Oh, they understand. There is a misplaced benevolence in their ideology wherein they (and only they) are allowed to decide who receives their benevolence.
    --–
    Painting with broad brushes, Lynda? There are conservatives with different views on this and other topics as well, just as there are liberals with different views on this and other topics. This country is far too polarized as it is, thank you very much.
    ---------–
    @ Fair – but if those "conservatives with different views" stay really, really, really quiet, the GOP will be taken over by the Theocracy folks.

February 14, 2014 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Good news on the horizon: weather cast is predicting 38 degrees for us next week ... !
    -------------------------------------------------
    Yoohoo!!

February 14, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. Fair is Fair

Sniffit

"Agreed. Leaving this in limbo does no one any good."

---------

February 14, 2014 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

"Well...I can dream can't I? Dreams are all I appear to have left in regards to sledding."

Ice skating. I loved to ice skate. The very idea of lacing up my skates and (literally) hitting the ice sends shivers down my spine (and stiff legs).

Oh, but I had the sweetest homemade pom-poms on those laced skates of mine ... !

So, yeah. I hear you.

February 14, 2014 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Fair is Fair

Silence DoGood

---------
    @ Silence – and when those "liberals with different views" opine said views, they are crucified for the 2% of platform they disagree with by 98% of their base.

February 14, 2014 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Silence DoGood
    -------------------------------------------------
    I think that "takeover" has already occured Silence.
    See my post about some Republicas having to cast their votes in a closet, in a basement, under the cover of darkness and complete secrecy lest the Teatarded Republicans they work alongside get wind of their stance.

February 14, 2014 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. Matt

Another win for the LGBT community. There's no stopping us now.

February 14, 2014 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. Pam from Iowa

NOBODY, including the government, has the right to tell ANYONE

February 14, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  15. Pam from Iowa

No one, including the government, has the right to tell ANYONE

February 14, 2014 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"Come on, Snifft, you're better than that. It's used as a wedge issue on BOTH sides, and you know it."

If people weren't trying to stop the TLGB community from being treated equally, there'd be no issue. None. "I'd like to marry the person I love and have my gov't treat us the same as any other married couple" is not using this as a wedge issue or "starting it." IF the bigotry and discrimination hadn't been so thoroughly institutionalized by the bigots in the first place, there wouldn't have been any outcry to begin with.

February 14, 2014 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

My husband & I were considering moving to NC when we retire. However, considering NC's recent lurch to the extreme right, VA is looking more and more attractive every day.

February 14, 2014 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Ryan

The argument here is constitutionality, not religion or personal views. Just because you have a bigoted electorate that believes gay people are some how not equal to a hetero sexual couple does not mean that if you vote it to law its somehow constitutional. Please stop using "religion" to justify a law or vote when the constitution is the only valid reference.

February 14, 2014 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  19. TONE

@Dominican mama 4 Obama – Boehner is one of them.

I always had my suspicions about Boehner

February 14, 2014 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  20. Pam from Iowa

Of course it is un-constitutional. It is an infringement on civil rights and an overstep by our government.
    The government has no right to dictate who anyone can or cannot marry!
    All you Tea Partiers should be jumping up and down on this! Are you not for less government intrusion in our lives?????

February 14, 2014 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  21. Malory Archer

Dominican mama 4 Obama

P.S.
    Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Right back at ya Mama! Got plans? We're not even attempting to go out this evening – just throwing something on the grill and dipping some berries in chocolate!

February 14, 2014 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. Howard's Daddy

When are you 'conservatives' and 'libertarians' going to learn that this is lifting a 'ban' that denies a set of people equal rights and protection under the law? For all your 'small government' rantings, you sure are inconsistent about this topic. You can't have your 'tradition' when it conflicts with the Constitution. You can't have it both ways.

February 14, 2014 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. Malory Archer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not gloating or anything, but we've got mid to upper 70s for next week. I'm going to the beach!

February 14, 2014 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  24. Howard's Daddy

Remember Loving vs Virginia? How apropos.

February 14, 2014 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. Silence DoGood

@Fair is Fair
    Silence DoGood

---
    ------
    Back on point Gallup reports 69% Dems want same-sex marriage rights so your numbers are way off. You should not use numbers when you make them up. Again I say if you are quiet and use made up numbers and wishful thinking, the GOP will be taken over by the Tea Theocracy folks. They are not kidding, and they are scary folks.

February 14, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |