February 14th, 2014
07:58 AM ET
9 months ago

Judge deems Virginia's same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

(CNN) - A federal judge in Virginia has struck down the commonwealth's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional, according to court documents.

"These laws deny Plaintiffs their rights to due process and equal protection guaranteed under the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution," U.S. District Judge Arenda Wright Allen wrote in her opinion.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Same-sex marriage • Virginia
soundoff (64 Responses)
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

    Malory Archer
    Good news on the horizon: weather cast is predicting 38 degrees for us next week ... !

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Not gloating or anything, but we've got mid to upper 70s for next week. I'm going to the beach!
    --------

    Oh, ouch! Dreaming of the beach is what has sustained me this far into winter ... ! But, hey. Think of me while you soak up the sun and warmth. Hint: fleece. Neck to toes.

    February 14, 2014 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. Wake up People!

    Hey Lynda!! They're predicting 49 by the end of next week here!! Now that's a heatwave!! Stay warm sista!!

    February 14, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

    Wake up People!
    Hey Lynda!! They're predicting 49 by the end of next week here!! Now that's a heatwave!! Stay warm sista!!
    --------

    I'm hosting a "burn your fleece" party when we hit 32. Should have known what was coming last spring when we had to drill a hole in the ice on opening fishing. Looking back, it was a riot. We put the wood burner on the bank, donned our hip boots, and sunk a line in a hole in the ice. It was a first in my lifetime. This year is shaping up to "just load the boat on the trailer and drive out on the lake". Ought to be fun.

    February 14, 2014 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. Me

    How is this fixing the debt, overseas crises, is this bringing Me. Bae bsck from NK?

    February 14, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    Not gloating or anything, but we've got mid to upper 70s for next week. I'm going to the beach!
    -------------------------------------------------
    Mallory Archer!!!
    WTH?!?
    You know good and darn well Mallory that this particular conversation EXCLUDED you folks in Florida!!
    Ouch! That was me slipping on an icy sidewalk.
    What do you know about that in your part of the country Mal?!
    LOL!!!

    February 14, 2014 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    @ Lynda Minnesota, Wake Up People! and Mallory
    Okay let me come clean and say that we're supposed to reach 62 next Thursday.....go ahead...shoot me!

    February 14, 2014 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    Malory Archer

    Dominican mama 4 Obama

    P.S.
    Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Right back at ya Mama! Got plans?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Mallory, and yes, yes I do: I am meeting my ex-husband's girlfriend at my son's club performance tonight.
    You can't make ANY of this stuff up babe!
    Life...gotta love it....what else can you do?!

    February 14, 2014 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. Al-NY,NY

    Stuffitu

    Why would the citizens of a state think that they know what is best for them when some democrat liberal progressive judge knows what is best. If people could actually think for themselves and spend their money how they wanted, there would be know democrats or corrupt unions.
    ---------

    her being approved by a 96-0 vote says something. And her 20 year military career is admirable. Do you hate the military? Who in the GOP voted to approve her? Maybe you should start a campaign of cleansing to get rid of those
    RINO's

    February 14, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  9. Silence DoGood

    @Me
    How is this fixing the debt, overseas crises, is this bringing Me. Bae bsck from NK?
    -------
    (sarcasm alert) Wow, you are right! Since we have not been able to fix the debt yet, we should immediately deny some our citizens rights. Brilliant! Do you think going back to segregation or removing women's right to vote would help too? You should totally be the leader of everything!

    February 14, 2014 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Fair is Fair

    Silence DoGood

    @Fair is Fair
    Silence DoGood

    @ Fair – but if those "conservatives with different views" stay really, really, really quiet, the GOP will be taken over by the Theocracy folks.
    -
    @ Silence – and when those "liberals with different views" opine said views, they are crucified for the 2% of platform they disagree with by 98% of their base.
    --
    Back on point Gallup reports 69% Dems want same-sex marriage rights so your numbers are way off. You should not use numbers when you make them up. Again I say if you are quiet and use made up numbers and wishful thinking, the GOP will be taken over by the Tea Theocracy folks. They are not kidding, and they are scary folks.
    -------–
    You miss my point, Silence... if 69% of dems want same-sex marriare (no arguement for me on that number), just you wait and see if one of the other 31% were to post here in opposition to it. The liberals on this blog would have a field day on it, even though the poster might only have this one view outside of the liberal mantra. You doubt this?

    February 14, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Silence DoGood

    @Fair is Fair
    Silence DoGood

    @Fair is Fair
    Silence DoGood

    @ Fair – but if those "conservatives with different views" stay really, really, really quiet, the GOP will be taken over by the Theocracy folks.

    @ Silence – and when those "liberals with different views" opine said views, they are crucified for the 2% of platform they disagree with by 98% of their base.
    -
    Back on point Gallup reports 69% Dems want same-sex marriage rights so your numbers are way off. You should not use numbers when you make them up. Again I say if you are quiet and use made up numbers and wishful thinking, the GOP will be taken over by the Tea Theocracy folks. They are not kidding, and they are scary folks.
    ---–
    You miss my point, Silence... if 69% of dems want same-sex marriare (no arguement for me on that number), just you wait and see if one of the other 31% were to post here in opposition to it. The liberals on this blog would have a field day on it, even though the poster might only have this one view outside of the liberal mantra. You doubt this?
    -----------
    I see your point now. But I do disagree with it. When Obama was running for office I was pretty vocal about his short comings and not being progressive enough. I supported the Green Party and Ms.Clinton at the time and said so regularly in CNN comments. Democrats wildly argue with each other a lot! Remember the 1968 riots at the Democratic Convention by liberals, not happy with the Dems?

    February 14, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. The Real Tom Paine

    -Fair is Fair

    Silence DoGood

    @Fair is Fair
    Silence DoGood

    @ Fair – but if those "conservatives with different views" stay really, really, really quiet, the GOP will be taken over by the Theocracy folks.

    @ Silence – and when those "liberals with different views" opine said views, they are crucified for the 2% of platform they disagree with by 98% of their base.
    -
    Back on point Gallup reports 69% Dems want same-sex marriage rights so your numbers are way off. You should not use numbers when you make them up. Again I say if you are quiet and use made up numbers and wishful thinking, the GOP will be taken over by the Tea Theocracy folks. They are not kidding, and they are scary folks.
    ---–
    You miss my point, Silence... if 69% of dems want same-sex marriare (no arguement for me on that number), just you wait and see if one of the other 31% were to post here in opposition to it. The liberals on this blog would have a field day on it, even though the poster might only have this one view outside of the liberal mantra. You doubt this?
    **************************
    No one does, but the fact remains that we're not the ones conducting purity tests and purges these days. We learned our lesson on that one. Its your lot that are demanding rigid adherance to ideology, and its the ideology that would not have seen the light of day 10 years ago. I'm sure you have see this for yourself in the GOP.

    February 14, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  13. CB FL

    It is a great day for our country when we use the rule of law for the people instead of the Bible. I think everyone has the right to there religion. But they do not have the right to push their religion on me. Yes I am a GOD fearing man. GOD BLESS!

    February 14, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. Silence DoGood

    @CB FL
    It is a great day for our country when we use the rule of law for the people instead of the Bible. I think everyone has the right to there religion. But they do not have the right to push their religion on me. Yes I am a GOD fearing man. GOD BLESS!
    ---------–
    Hurrah – John Adams swore in on a book of Law instead of the Bible to make that point!

    February 14, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
1 2 3