February 16th, 2014
8 months ago

Chelsea Clinton: LGBTQ rights 'unfinished business' of this century

(CNN) - Adapting a line from her mother, Chelsea Clinton said Sunday that shedding light on LGBTQ issues should be a major focus for human rights advocates this century.

"My mother has often said that the issue of women is the unfinished business of the 21st century,” she said of Hillary Clinton, the former New York senator and secretary of state. “That is certainly true. But so too are the issues of LGBTQ rights the unfinished business of the 21st century."

Chelsea Clinton was tapped as the keynote speaker for a Human Rights Campaign conference in Las Vegas - another appearance in a series of high-profile events for the former first daughter.

Despite her famed political lineage, Clinton, 33, has said she has no plans to run for public office, unlike her mother, who is seriously considering running for president in 2016.

"I am unapologetically biased towards both of my parents. I am glad there are some people in the audience who agree. I am unlimitedly their daughter," Clinton said in response to a question about her mother’s political aspirations. "I will support my mother in whatever she chooses to do. And my crystal ball is no more clear than yours."

In her address, Clinton pushed for more progress in combating bullying of gay youths. She pointed to celebrities such as Jason Collins, the NBA veteran who announced that he was gay in a Sports Illustrated story in April, and actress Ellen Page, who came out as gay at the same Las Vegas conference last Friday, as role models changing the lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, queer narrative.

"Changing laws and changing the political dialogue while necessary is insufficient to ensure that bullying stops; to ensure that every young person is supported by their parents and their teachers as they question who they are and they discover who they are regardless of the sexuality," Clinton said.

Clinton appeared with her mother last week in New York to launch a new partnership between the Clinton Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to analyze women's advancement internationally.

She will also speak on women’s issues at an event at the University of Missouri-Kansas City later this month.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Gay rights • Hillary Clinton
  1. Peter

She should say "and my daddy made it to where they couldn't get married."

February 17, 2014 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  2. John

I agree. Now that women are allowed in submarines and essentially all other combat roles, it's high time we make them sign up for the draft (aka "selective service"). When I hear women demanding that, then, and only then, will I believe that they actually want equality . . . equality of responsibility.

February 17, 2014 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  3. Barlion

I had no idea he was a lesbian.

February 17, 2014 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  4. Mark

The Clintons and other gay marriage and gay supporters are proveing once more that the bible is accurate when it says the world will sink deeper and deeper in sin in the last days, however long the last days are. Maybe these people do not know what goes on between two men that announce they are gay or they would not support that activity if they only knew. Or, maybe they like what happens in a gay relationship ??? I would hope not.

February 17, 2014 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  5. EarthWorm

Heck of a spokesperson for Hillary. Now I know she will lose come 2016!

February 17, 2014 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  6. Steve

The Homosexual Agenda is a set of beliefs and objectives designed to promote and even mandate acceptance and approval of homosexuality and homosexual ideology, along with the strategies used to implement such. One such familiar strategy is to label anyone who dare speak out against their agenda as a "homophobe" in an attempt to stigmatize and diminish their viewpoint socially.

The goals and means of this movement include indoctrinating students in public school, restricting the free speech of opposition, obtaining special treatment for homosexuals, distorting science, twisting holy scriptures, and interfering with the freedom of association.

Advocates of the homosexual agenda seek special rights for homosexuals that other people don't have, such as immunity from criticism (hate speech, hate crimes, etc). Such special rights have come at the expense of the rights of society as a whole.

Without question, the homosexual agenda is the biggest threat to the right of free speech in America today.

February 17, 2014 04:54 am at 4:54 am |
  7. jeremy

If Hillary runs, I'll vote for her. I have never, and will never, support a Republican. There are some annoyances I have among Dems, but I have seen 1st hand how Conservatism has nearly ruined America. These Republicans must be stopped. Since Nixon, we have had 4 other Republican presidents. The middle class has really taken a nose dive and is disappearing. My belief is because of Republicans! They've been in power for most of the last 45 years. Btw, I see so many hateful comments from people about Obama. I mean I just think this is just undercover racism. If he was white, he wouldn't be taking quite as hard a beating. It's despicable. The Obama's are classy, intelligent people! Racism still exists, strong and hard in the USA. Obama may be a lot of things, but he's way better than all those GOPer's before him.

February 17, 2014 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  8. Fearsome Kittens

So now they've added a "Q" to it? Please just go away.

February 17, 2014 05:19 am at 5:19 am |
  9. haah

I thought gays were "just like everyone else"? Why are they getting all this preferential treatment? Gays aren't "special", they're no different than anyone else. There are way more important things to focus on, rather than GAY VS NOT-GAY

February 17, 2014 05:35 am at 5:35 am |
  10. SpgfldTom

Wow! What insight. The mantra should be "equal rights for all .... special rights for none". Pssst, Ms Clinton, Mom has already got the LGBTQ vote, you can stop now. Truly, does anyone care if the celeb of the day announces they are gay?

February 17, 2014 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  11. Lisa

Sorry, make that LGBTQ.

February 17, 2014 06:06 am at 6:06 am |
  12. Krenwinkle

"I am unlimitedly their daughter." If that is English, what on earth have I been speaking all these years? Perhaps this is something in code, or on a frequency only understood by dolphins.

February 17, 2014 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  13. Tutuvabene

Nothing remarkable here.

February 17, 2014 06:22 am at 6:22 am |
  14. grangoat

I have no problem with anyone being gay, lesbian, or bi-sexual. But seriously, transvestites? No, you cant use the women's locker room at the gym just because you wish you were a woman and underwent some ritual genital mutilation. This isn't a matter of equal rights. straight men cant shower with the ladies either.

February 17, 2014 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  15. lroy

None of this family knows ANYTHING about human rights. Her parents are pro-abortion, her father had an extra-martial affair, and it is the right of every human being to be raised by mother and father-which is impossible in a LGBTH relationship.

February 17, 2014 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  16. letmeeatcake

...who is chelsea clinton?

February 17, 2014 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  17. liberal disease

i know that Bill and Hill believe deep down that marriage is between an man and a women, but when its politically convenient send the kid out…These people are nothing but politicians 24/7 365...

February 17, 2014 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  18. liz

Always liked Chelsea and as the Mom of a lesbian I Thank her for speaking out.

February 17, 2014 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  19. TBONE

She is the poster child of having everything given to you. One thing to talk about it and say your support it, its another when you have to live it day to day whether you like it or not. Clinton Global Foundation partnering with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation confirms more and more their out of touch with the common person and just there to create a name for themselves and live a royal lifestyle. No jealousy here, just the truth.

February 17, 2014 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  20. Ken

It used to be Gay Rights, then it became LGBT, now it's LGBTQ? What's the Q for?

February 17, 2014 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  21. Ashley Seehorn

Questioning...the "Q" in LGBTQ stands for "Questioning," NOT "queer." Please Google your acronyms before reporting them.

February 17, 2014 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  22. Dave Seavy

If she's going to tackle bullying, I think it would be appropriate to not limit the issue to the GLBT community. Bullying is bullying – regardless of why it's happening. I see this as a way to help her mother garner popularity, not a mission she personally intends to take on.

February 17, 2014 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  23. timelord7202

It's nice people are aware, but I think GLBT people are the best able to combat the hatred, malice, stereotypes, and xenophobia they've endured from blind ignorant haters.

February 17, 2014 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  24. None Such

Even your lunatic father knew to stand up against homosexuality. Get out of our country with that trash.

February 17, 2014 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  25. OrmondGeorge

This is as good a place as any for her to begin her political career.
    AND an excellent place for an American to assert their respect for the CONSTITUTION.

February 17, 2014 08:19 am at 8:19 am |