February 19th, 2014
8 months ago

Obama sends letter to armless kicker

(CNN) – Inspired by Isaac Lufkin's story, President Barack Obama sent the 14-year-old high school kicker, born without arms, a letter praising his determination.

Lufkin's story caught the attention of the White House after CNN aired a piece profiling him last month.

Lufkin is the place kicker for his Classical High School freshman football team in Providence, Rhode Island. In 2013, he helped lead his team through an undefeated season and on to win the freshman football state title.

The President congratulated Lufkin and his team on a successful season.

"I recently learned about your story of perseverance, and I want you to know I am inspired by the courage and grit you have demonstrated," Obama wrote in the letter.

"Your success on and off the football field serves as a reminder of what can be achieved when we work hard and stay focused on reaching our goals. You have set a powerful example not only for your teammates, but for all Americans, and I hope you continue to aim high and strive for excellence in everything you do."

Isaac Lufkin

Since CNN's story, Lufkin and his mom, Lori, were invited by the National Football League as VIP guests at the Super Bowl where he met former President Bill Clinton and got to go on the field before the game to watch the players warm up.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Jeff Brown in Jersey

OK, let's find a reason to crucify Obama over this.

February 19, 2014 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  2. Vicki

Awesome young man who should inspire everyone. Good job as the kicker for your high school team.

February 19, 2014 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  3. RFA

may god bless u

February 19, 2014 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Just when you think our youth is all about that cyrus little skank a story like this one reminds us that most kids are worth their weight in gold.

February 19, 2014 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  5. Smitty

Nice letter, from the BIGGEST LIAR OF THE TEAR. A letter from a wimp on White House stationary.

February 19, 2014 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  6. Chris-E...al

Thank you buddy . thx

February 19, 2014 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. deee510

That is really sweet and really inspirational. Love Obama and how humble and down to earth he is. God bless this young man and president Obama.

February 19, 2014 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. Davin

I wonder how long it will be until Marco Rubio rips Obama for this on Twitter...

February 19, 2014 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  9. Syed Shamsuddoha

Hats off to you Isaac. I am now 51 and cheers for being the new hero and my new inspiration for me, for my children and for my entire family and friends. Good health to you.

February 20, 2014 05:33 am at 5:33 am |