Christie says he can't 'let go' of Springsteen, talks about weight loss
February 20th, 2014

Christie says he can't 'let go' of Springsteen, talks about weight loss

(CNN) - It doesn't look like Bruce Springsteen will ever lose a fan in New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie - no matter how much the rock legend and the Republican governor disagree on politics.

In his first town hall since last summer, Christie was encouraged Thursday to abandon his longtime loyalty to the liberal musician. The governor also drew some laughs when he talked about his weight loss, about a year after undergoing lap-band surgery.

While the governor was not asked about the recent George Washington Bridge controversy, he was petitioned by an audience member to get rid of his Springsteen collection.

"When you go home tonight would you please destroy all your Bruce Springsteen CDs? He is not a friend of yours, governor," said a veteran, who identified himself as Joe Williams.

Not long after the bridge scandal made national headlines in January, Springsteen took part in a parody with late night TV host Jimmy Fallon, mocking the governor in a song to the tune of "Born to Run."

While Springsteen has praised Christie in the past for his leadership after Superstorm Sandy, the rock legend has done little else to show high regard for his superfan.

Responding to the audience member Thursday, Christie joked, "Well, the CDs could be destroyed. I have it all on my i-Phone now."

Christie, who said he's been to 132 Springsteen concerts, acknowledged Williams may be right, but it's hard for him to let go of the musician he's long adored.

"Hey listen, I don't do drugs, I don't drink.  This is it for me, OK? That's all I've got," he said.

The governor added he's still holding out hope that one day the two will become friends.

"I live in hope of that because I think when we get attached to certain people as youngsters, which I did, it is hard to kind of let that go," he said. "So you are probably giving me wise and sage counsel that I should accept, but my heart keeps telling me not to."

Christie was holding the town hall Thursday to talk about Superstorm Sandy relief aid. The event took place in Monmouth County, one of the worst-hit areas in New Jersey from the 2012 storm.

Another audience member noted that Christie was "looking good," a reference to his weight loss in the past year.

"I'm getting there," he said.

He went on to tell a story about a middle school student who told him he was "getting a lot smaller."

But, he added, the student also had a question: "When are you going to get really small?"

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. Tampa Tim

Krispy taking those tough questions from his fan club.

February 20, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Must have been a hand-picked, friendly audience. People on the left and right have questions. There's a lot of smoke in the air surrounding the governor. For example, let's take Sampson, who's head of the Port Authority. Sampson and Christie used to work together. Sampson's name is on the law firm that was representing the developement project that the Mayor of Hoboken had complained about Christie wanting her to allocate Sandy Funds to the project.

The biggest unexplained questions surround Sandy Relief Funds. Once questions started being raised, Christie fired the top two contractors on the project without any explanation.

February 20, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. Warren

So what are we going to do here? Change the subject to his weight lost, to draw away from the fact that he knew what was going on?? He has some good PR people. But we are not that stupid I would hope....

February 20, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. The REAL Truth...

"Christie said he told her, "Well, my dear, Rome was not un-built in a day either so we've got a little work still to do'."
    -------------
    True.. but if he's found to have misused Federal funds (nobody really cares about bridgegate), then he will be un-built in a day!

February 20, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. Sniffit

On today's episode of "$650/hour For Crisis Management"....

February 20, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. salty dog

It took surgery to correct his weight problem, may I suggest a lobotomy to correct your bridge problem.

February 20, 2014 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Where's Our $24 Billion?

----------------------------------
    You've got to have some thick skin to take the verbal assault Gov. Soprano is currently coming under and will continue to come under. Get off of Springstein's jock already. Does he have to have an affair with your wife to prove that he doesn't like you?

February 20, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

tom l

@Salty Dog,
    Revenues went up after the taxes were cut every year from 2002-2007. Were you aware of that?
    ----------------------–
    Spending went WAY up after the taxes were cut every year from 2002-2009. Are you gonig to admit to that fact?

============================================================
    smith

@Rudy- I think Donna is referring to the revisions to the community reinvestment act by Bill Clinton.
    --------------------------
    I think not. BTW, what changes did Clinton make? You really don't want to go there, smith. That law was introduced by sponsored by Lindsey Graham. What about the changes that were made under Bush? Bush lowered the risk requirements, encouraging lenders to take bigger risks.

February 20, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Tampa Tim

tom l
    @Salty Dog,

The national debt increased each year from 2002 – 2007. Were you aware of that?

February 20, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Thomas

Chris Christie / Scott Walker 2016

When Honesty and Moral Judgment Rain Supreme,
    Fighting Corruption the Old Fashion Way !

February 20, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. salty dog

Way to handle the tough questions, why not ask him what's for dinner, just as relevant. I thought you were to answer questions people wanted the answers to?

February 20, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. salty dog

Tom, the middle class got a tax cut too, that's where your increased revenue came from. Cutting taxes on the rich only doesn't have the same effect, mind you I'm no economist, but I have watched many comment on their opinions on many many interviews, articles. I think if a corporation could benefit as much from similar tactics it would be done without question

February 20, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

Get off the girth question and focus on the real question. His complete innocence, or his guilt in the great roadblock incident during his time in office as the governor. No one really cares about the rest, so make it a non-issue, please.

February 20, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  14. salty dog

And does it not bother you that the very wealthy from other countries see our corrupt gop as an easy opportunity for gain? What business does the Koch brothers have buying sooo much influence in our policy makers, it's not right, and it is most definitely harming our system. We went from surplus yo deficit under bush, and many of the right wing bloggers think we should repeat the policies that he ruled over. At that point I'm lost, the housing market didn't crash our economy, it was merely the last straw.

February 20, 2014 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

Tampa Tim

tom l
    @Salty Dog,

The national debt increased each year from 2002 – 2007. Were you aware of that?
    -----------
    It's increased MORE under Obama. Were you aware of that?

February 20, 2014 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. salty dog

Now fair, that's a load of BS, he put the wars, tarp, on the deficit, George wouldn't do it, it looked bad enough already, and another three billion or more added to the deficit would likely produce change the rich didn't want. You really have to be honest if you want respect, blaming Obama for all the debt is just silly. The wars weren't free.

February 20, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. tom l

Rudy NYC

tom l

@Salty Dog,
    --------–
    ===

In a heartbeat I will admit that. Spending did go up under Bush. And Bush wasn't in office in 2009 so it is Obama that continued that upswing. Will YOU admit that?

February 20, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. tom l

Tampa Tim

tom l
    @Salty Dog,

The national debt increased each year from 2002 – 2007. Were you aware of that?
    ======

Yup, I'm aware of that and freely admit that. So then you acknowledge that the tax cuts led to more revenue, right?

February 20, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. tom l

======
    I'll admit that as well. That's why I want tax cuts for everyone, not just the rich.

February 20, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. Tampa Tim

Fair – when you put the wars and the other republican on the books, instead of hiding them, that is what you get.

February 20, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  21. Me

salty dog

__________________
    That is not mathmatically possible, the income of middle class has decreased since the 30s or so and the income of rich has increased like 400% (I think I read this from a dem at least once a day), therefore the increase in revenue could NOT come from the middle class it would have to come from the rich!

February 20, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  22. Bill from GA

Springsteen for PRESIDENT, 2016!!

February 20, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  23. smith

@Rudy-Google changes to the community reinvestment act by Bill Clinton. Btw, Time Magazine did a great article on the faulty parties with regards to 2008 economic crash. Google both.

February 20, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. Tampa Tim

Wait a minute, the Bush wars did not end on January 21, 2009? So we still had to pay for them?

February 20, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  25. Tampa Tim

I meant to say republican crap. Sorry.

February 20, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |