Obama, Harper make bet over Olympic hockey games
February 20th, 2014
10 months ago

Obama, Harper make bet over Olympic hockey games

(CNN) – When the U.S. and Canada face off Friday in a men's showdown at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games, there's more than just bragging rights on the line. There's beer.

President Barack Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper made a Twitter wager Thursday, with each betting a case of beer from their country.

That bet included the women's championship game that took place between the neighboring countries Thursday, but the U.S. lost in overtime, leaving at least one case of American beer to be sent north across the border.

The men's teams square off Friday in the semi-finals. The winner of that game will go on to the final against the winner of the semi-final between Finland and Sweden.

Filed under: Canada • Olympics
  1. Anonymous

I thought the bet was that the losing country gets Justin Bieber

February 20, 2014 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Dennis

I wonder if he will be using tax payer dollars to pay that bet....My bet is Yes....

February 20, 2014 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. irunner

Most Americans forget the big US brewers (Bud, Miller, Coors) are no longer American-owned. I wouldn't drink that yellow fizzy swill anyway. Last I heard, Boston Brewing (Samuel Adams) is the largest American-owned brewery. Still, there are many great craft beers out there that I'd take of Sam...

February 20, 2014 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. dkeller2929

impeach obama

February 20, 2014 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  5. peick

I'm seeing space for someone to bring up evolution or atheism in this forum. Come on. Who's going to do it?

February 20, 2014 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. Donny B.

The joke's on Harper... he gets American beer!

February 20, 2014 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. Me

salty dog

What tax bracket does Romney fall into 39%, now what % did he actually pay, 13%, so stop crying foul . Economic expert has dispelled all your arguments already, quit handily I might add, without pointing a partisan finger. Robert rieght? Professor at Berkeley now.
    ___________________________
    What are you talking about, I didn't post about ONE individual, I cited a study that was done and I believe they are a non-partisan group, I am not talking about one individual, the study states ON AVERAGE!!! Is it fair that Romney pays 13%, NO but he is ONE person and ON AVERAGE the 1%ers pay WAY MORE THEN THAT!!! It is a simple question, what percent do liberals think is fair (30%, 40%, 80%, etc), I think paying double that of the average payer (not to mention the lower 50% only pay 2%ish) seems pretty fair, but as I state I think the MOST fair is a flat tax!!! Man liberals are good spinning and dancing around simple questions! Romney paying that low is a WHOLE different argument about deductions, are you saying that you think deductions shouldn't be allowed, or only shouldn't be for the 1%ers, that will hurt charities but it is an argument I can see from both sides!

February 20, 2014 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. tim

For some the college years are never quite over when a beer resolved every issue known to man. Is there a micro that brews a mean arugula lager? Actually, Colorado could supply a nice smooth hemp ...a six of 'Colorado High' would be a nice after drink smoke especially of wrapped with a nice Cuban leaf into a hemp cigar. Now that I think of it, They could pass that puppy around congress to incite some bipartisan compromises or do nothing at all but order in? Either way, it would bring some stability to the country.

February 20, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. JohnSmith

Obama losing on the world stage.

Nothing new.

February 20, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. JesterJames

not a fair bet, the American beer is only fit for the drain. While Canadian beer is the best.

February 20, 2014 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. frenchie

he will just veto the bet if it doesn't fit his needs.

February 20, 2014 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. nwcommenter

Great to get the silver medal US women!

February 20, 2014 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. Me

Rudy NYC

Me wrote:

Can't even answer a simple question, Salty did, using his usual liberal talking points but he answered it, I think you are the one that lives in a bubble! I have shown proof that they do pay a fair share, DOUBLE that of the average tax payer, all you can do is dodge the question!
    -------––
    You're cherry-picking facts, you cite the lowest income brackets and compare it to the highest. Reagan and Republicans set up our current progressive tax system, which allows the lowest incomes to pay little or nothing. Is it fair for a $40k/year earner to pay just as high a rate as your 1%'er?
    _______________________________
    No I am not, just because you don't like the FACTS presented doesn't mean they are cherry picked, the data I posted was taking ALL brackets into account, it was ON AVERAGE, it did not break down by brackets, at least that I could find!!! Did I say it was fair for someone making 40k a year to pay more?? I understand who put the progressive tax rate into effect and I don't care, I am asking this question because I see almost every liberal on here contantly saying the 1% need to pay their fair share, SHO WHAT IS THAT??? Again you are the master at dodging my question!!!!!! I really didn't mean anything by it except WHAT IS A FAIR SHARE cause double seems like a fair share!!!! I don't care about the one offs, ON AVERAGE 1%ers pay double, simple as that. Man if you don't want to answer the question just say you are affraid to answer it!

February 20, 2014 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. Anonymous

@irunner
    Made up facts are the best kind.

February 20, 2014 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I thought the bet was that the losing country gets Justin Bieber
    -------------------------------------------------
    Good one!!!!

February 20, 2014 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  16. Whatever4321

No wonder our Country is a mess, our Presidents spends more time and money on games than he does his own people!

February 20, 2014 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lots of great beer in the United States...
    -------------------------------------------------
    Yes but Budweiser is NOT one of them!
    Ugh! Worst hangover of my life!!

February 20, 2014 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I thought the bet was that the losing country gets Justin Bieber
    -----------------
    Good one!!!!
    ------------------------------
    Wait! Did we lose? I take that back if we lost!

February 20, 2014 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. No one

The White House's brew?

February 20, 2014 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Canuck hockey fan

If Canada wins, and PM. Harper wins both cases of beer, does he have to pay duty on the second case?

February 20, 2014 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

...Okay the shots of tequila that went with the Bud probably didn't help...but still....Ugh!

February 20, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. conchytonker

Go USA Men's Hockey!!!
    Bring home the gold, in spite of the Obama curse........

February 20, 2014 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  23. Mark

Can we throw in the entire NBC network along with tomorrow's pack of beer?

February 20, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  24. John Candy

"What? All I said was Canadian Beer sucks!"

February 20, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  25. Smrtypants

Doesn't this guy have anything better to do?

February 20, 2014 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |