Biden on 2016: If Hillary runs, it won't affect my decision
February 25th, 2014
9 months ago

Biden on 2016: If Hillary runs, it won't affect my decision

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden weighed in further Tuesday on his thinking process about a potential 2016 presidential bid and perhaps hinted what a potential campaign theme might look like.

On ABC's "The View," the Democrat said Hillary Clinton's decision on a second presidential campaign would not be a factor as he considers his own White House run.

"Whether she runs or not will not affect my decision," he said.

The former secretary of state currently dominates the Democratic field in public opinion polls measuring support for 2016. Biden often comes in at a distant second.

Asked if he has ruled out a White House bid, Biden said he has "absolutely not said no."

"It’s as likely that I run as I don’t run. I just truly haven’t made up my mind," he said. "The good news is everything I think I would have to do to be a viable candidate is the same exact thing I should be doing to be the best vice president that I could possibly be."

Biden told Barbara Walters that if she sticks around, "I will announce my decision with you."

The longtime ABC News personality announced last year she would retire in 2014.

Jeb on Bush family name: 'It's an issue'

Earlier this month, Biden told CNN's Kate Bolduan he would make his decision in the summer of 2015, and "there's no obvious reason for me why I think I should not run."

Biden also appeared to offer a glimpse of what his campaign message would look like.

He argued Tuesday that he's been given more power than former vice presidents, saying his experience in Washington "uniquely positions me to follow through on the agenda Barack and I have" started.

He said President Barack Obama has given him major assignments "carte blanche” and the freedom to do them “my way."

"For example, when it came to ending the war in Iraq, in the middle of a meeting with all the national security team - it was Hillary, and Bob Gates and everyone - and they said 'We have a plan.' (The President) said, 'No, no. Joe will do Iraq.' My job was to end the war," he said.

His comments come more than a month after Gates, the former defense secretary, released a book that included scathing criticism of Biden and his foreign policy decision-making over the years.

While Gates called Biden “a man of integrity,” he wrote, “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”

On "The View," Biden also talked about how he took on his role in handling the 2009 stimulus legislation pushed by the President as a way of boosting a recession-weary economy.

"I made a mistake of writing (Obama) a note of how we should do it," Biden said. "He slipped it back under the dining room table and said 'Ok go do it.’"

"By the way it was the last memo I sent," he joked.

His visit on "The View" was part of a string of high-profile appearances Biden has made in recent weeks, including his stop as a guest Monday on NBC's "Late Night" for Seth Meyers’ first show as the new host.

Filed under: 2016 • Joe Biden
  1. Harold Read

Biden has to go ahead and get the IRS to target cult groups like Hillary for President PAC to stop her cash flow. NSA cell phone taps can provide critical intel on Hillary's activities and plans.
    Hoax and Blame lives on 2016!

February 25, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

-----------------------------
    Actually, when you look at his record during past crisis, it has been Gates who's been wrong side of history for decades. One of the most prominent errors that he has made came during the Reagan administration. Gates was dead set against Reagans massive military spending increases.

February 25, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. Tommy G

Biden on 2016: If Hillary runs, it won't affect my decision
    -–

This is what is known as BS, a lie or Crazy Joe nonsense. Maybe Biden try to run to Clinton's left like Obama did? It sure worked for Obama. Hillary was the presumptive winner until Obama played the race card on poor Willy.

February 25, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. just asking

who in their right mind is going to contribute to this buffoon's campaign? the guy is senile and dangerous, telling people to go out and buy shot guns and fire them off on the back porch. seriously democrats, do you have any potential candidates that aren't old and ready for the funny farm?

February 25, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

just asking

------------------–

February 25, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. Fair is Fair

Run, Joe... RUN!!!!!

Please please please please please.

February 25, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  7. just asking

Rudy NYC
    just asking
    ------–

it figures you cannot tell the difference between a totally nonsensical statement (which is illegal just about everyplace) and a statement of truth (good guys could be armed cops or a legally armed citizen stopping a serial killer).

your statement is even more bizarre than biden's which is probably why you can relate to this whackjob.

February 25, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Tampa Tim

Anyone ever hear of the Housing Affordability Act of 2002?

February 25, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

just asking wrote:

"How is that any different from this? "The way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun." I think one is just as bizarre to me as the other."

-------------------------–
    It seems to me that both statements say the same thing. "Stand Your Ground." I think encouraging amatuers to become vigilantes is both reckless and dangerous. BTW, there you go again with that name calling disease.

February 25, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. tom l

Rudy Rudy Rudy
    ========

I'm proud of you Timmy Boy. You left out TARP and the 2008 job losses and that's a step in the right direction. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. As far as your claims, you're right repubs have attacked the president and tried to make him a one termer. Are you so naïve as not to understand that dems did the exact same thing to Bush? Pelosi calls Bush a total failure. Reid calls him a loser and a liar.
    --------–
    There you go again with that lie about Harry Reid again, tom. Pelosi called Bush a loser, and Reid was correct when he said that Bush had lied to the people of Nevada when he promised not to place a nuclear waste dump in Nevada. Bush reneged on his promise before the presidential vote was official, before Thanksgiving 2004. I want to say in less than week.

You need to stop blaming Pres. Obama for TARP. You're sounding like a who's kid fresh out of college again.
    =====
    So Reid did indeed call Bush a loser and liar (I think this guy is a total loser) and (But never for the liar, have I?) – it's very simple to look up. Pelosi called Bush a total failure (God bless him, bless his heart, president of the United States - a total failure). You can look that one up too. Obama illegally used TARP to bail out Detroit. You can look that one up, as well. Get back to me after you use the googlez and you will find that I am 100% accurate in everything I said.

February 25, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. tom l

@Tampa,
    If you don't think that both parties aren't responsible for the housing meltdown I just don't know what to say.

February 25, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Fair is Fair

The 13 words democrats dread hearing – "I'm Joe Biden, and I'm seeking the democratic nomination for president in 2016".

February 25, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Tampa Tim

President Obama did not use TARP money to bail out the auto industry.

February 25, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. Tony

Biden has run for the Democrat nomination before. I think he got about 1% of the votes. Not exactly a tsunami of support. Biden should be thinking and planning more for retirement. He is delusional if he thinks he can become President.

February 25, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

Tampa Tim

Anyone ever hear of the Housing Affordability Act of 2002?
    -----------------------
    According to me info, it was sponsored by Rep. Marge Roukema, R-NJ. Current status: Died in committee.

February 25, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. Rick McDaniel

Let the fool run.........if he really WANTS to be humiliated.

February 25, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |