House demands more Target docs
February 25th, 2014
6 months ago

House demands more Target docs

Washington (CNN) - House lawmakers are stepping up their look into how Target handled last fall's massive data breach, with a top Republican requesting that the company turn over a pile of internal documents about the security problem.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-California, sent a letter to Target president Gregg Steinhafel Monday requesting all "documents and communications" from last fall that relate to suspicions of a data breach or decisions about how to notify customers.

The data breach ultimately affected up to 110 million Americans who shopped at the retail store, with hackers vacuuming up customer names, contact information and, in some cases, credit and debt card information. Independent security researchers believe the malware used in the attack was originally written in Russia or Ukraine, though they are unclear as to who deployed it in this case.

The House committee is trying to pin down the timeline of when Target first suspected a possible security issue and when it decided to let its customers know. According to the committee, the Department of Justice notified Target of suspicious activity on December 12 and the company made a public announcement a week later on December 19.

Issa's letter emphasizes both small- and big-picture questions about that timeline. On the micro side: did Target suspect a problem before December 12? On the macro side: does the country need new laws to force faster disclosure of data robberies like this?

"The committee is specifically concerned the current data breach requirements may fail to provide consumers with timely warning and sufficient notice that their private information may be at risk," Issa wrote.

That statement places this letter in the middle of what could be a nascent bipartisan sentiment on the issue. Also Monday, U.S. Attorney Eric Holder released a video asking Congress to pass a law forcing companies to alert customers more quickly to possible data breaches.

Issa gave Target a March 10 deadline to respond to his document request.

Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder told CNN on Tuesday, "We appreciate the chairman's interest," Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder told CNN. "We are in contact with his office and we look forward to working with him and other members of Congress."

Filed under: Congress
  1. Tampa Tim

The bad part of giving any secret or classified information to Issa, is that he immediately releases it to media without reviewing it.

February 25, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

I look at this way. If you, or your designated representative/contractor, allow my personal info to fall into the wrong hands, then you are in violation of your own non-negotiable, privacy agreeements.

February 25, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Keith ..... in Oregon

...for crying out loud, just go get them from the NSA.

February 25, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. CryBabies

Tampa Tim...Yeah....kind of similar to the way dems passed the ACA without reading it.

February 25, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Me

Rudy NYC

Me wrote:

Last, the great recession would have happened even if Clinton would have had a third term, in other words, it would have happened no matter who was in office! The cause of it came from YEARS, about 20 years of bad policy, I did a large term paper on the causes of the great recession a little over a year ago and all research I did according to peer reviewed journals, points to YEARS of bad policies. One of the main contributors was the housing policies Clinton passed when he was in office, it contributed to the housing bubble which has been widely accepted as the main cause in the academic world. But it wasn't just policies from Clinton, policies all the way back to Reagan can be traced to the house bubble as well.
    -----------
    Hmm. Recent term paper? I guess that means that you're fresh out of school, if not still in attendance.

Unnamed politices from unnamed peer reviewed journals? I suspect that you're referring to right leaning peers.
    _______________
    Yes I am fresh out of school but I went back to school while in my current career of over 15 years so I am not young. (I got tired of being poor and making nothing because I didn’t have a degree) I don't have the specific names and sources because I am at work on lunch and am not wasting my whole lunch to run home and find them. They are NOT from right leaning or left leaning sources, not everything is right or left leaning Rudy, I tried VERY hard to only use NON-BIAS sources. I actually think one of my sources was an economist from the University of Chicago which I believe is a left leaning university but I don't think the economist had a bias either way that is why I used it. (at least he was good at hiding it if he did) But you think what you want Rudy, I nor anyone on here will change your BIASED mind, but I KNOW the truth about the recession!!

February 25, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

Looks like Target, has become the target.

February 25, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"Atheists plan conservative outreach with booth at CPAC"

And CPAC already revoked their booth.

February 25, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Me

To add to my previous post, very rarely if EVER do you or any other poster on here provide their sources, I asked for them many times and never get a response.

February 25, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |