Romney weighs in, Obama silent on Arizona SB1062
February 25th, 2014
10 months ago

Romney weighs in, Obama silent on Arizona SB1062

(CNN) - Former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney has joined calls from key Republicans urging Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to veto legislation that critics say would codify discrimination against gays and lesbians in that state.

Romney's message followed tweets from Arizona's Republican senators, John McCain and Jeff Flake, urging Brewer to reject SB1062, which would allow businesses in the state to refuse service to gays and lesbians based on religious beliefs.

By contrast, President Barack Obama, who has evolved into one of the nation's leading proponents of gay rights, has yet to personally weigh in on the legislation.

Asked about the Arizona bill by reporters, White House Spokesman Jay Carney described SB 1062 as a "pretty intolerant proposed law."

"As a practice, we don't generally weigh in on every piece of legislation under consideration in the states," Carney said.

"I think the President's position on equality for LGBT Americans and opportunity for all is very well known. And he believes that all of us, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity should be treated fairly and equally, with dignity and respect," Carney added.

Filed under: Arizona • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. Chow

Does anyone really cares what Romney thinks?

February 25, 2014 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  2. Ernie Strauss

If Obama says nothing he'll be criticized. If he speaks out he'll be criticized for interfering with state laws. No win. Let's presume that the Goverrnor will veto the bill.

February 25, 2014 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. Concerned81

one comment for Mr. Romney, totally delusional. This must be a misquote.

February 25, 2014 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. max cady

Mitt will lick anything got get his name in the news.

February 25, 2014 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. Proud Independent !

Shut up Loser ! Nobody cares what you have to say anymore Romney ! You had your chance , now please go away !

February 25, 2014 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  6. Alina1

Every time I am looking at Mitt I like him, who was that idiot that was running in 2012 and lost? I guess when nobody tells Mitt what to say , he is getting it right.

February 25, 2014 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. TomCom

Welcome to Arizona.....The we hate everyone state!

February 25, 2014 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  8. Marcus

Ohhh.... snap!!!! a Republican took a pro-gay rights stance.... What are right-wingers gonna do now? Love it...

February 25, 2014 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  9. Steven Seipel

I would just like to point out that Mitt Romney is a Latter-day Saint in name only. He has been an embarrassment to believing Latter-day saints for several years. His views certainly do not reflect the teachings of Jesus Christ or his prophets in modern or ancient times. I won't be back to respond to the hate messages that probably will follow.

February 25, 2014 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  10. J.V.Hodgson

Why should any religion ( religious freedom) have more power than my basic personal right to freedom, and my for example" aetheistic" view, I'm not such; but neither am I catholic or evangelical canons of faith or fully support the catechism or doctrine/ canons of evangelicals ( Islamists?). They can choose to fully embrace their religious guidance or not. the rule is simple they cannot ask me if I am LGBT or not, but in obvious situations like a gay or lesbian marriage, people of opposite religious views my deny service CONSTITUTIONALLY WITH IMPUGNITY FROM BEING SUED.
    WHEN A LAW GIVES AN INDIVIDUAL AT ALL TIMES THE RIGHT TO FOLLOW THIER RELIGION AND RELIGIOUS VIEW ONLY VERSUS MINE OR MY LIFE STYLE SOMETHING IS NOT QUITE AS OUR FOUNDING FATHERS INTENDED.
    LGBT"s have the human right to exist in a Fair society and religious belief must not a cannot override their personal freedom of choice and access to other laws and benefits available to hetrosexuals.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

February 25, 2014 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  11. Jim Rome

Why is this guy always posing for a Land's End catalogue? It's just weird, people.

February 25, 2014 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  12. American Worker

Shouldn't there be some mitigation for the malicious that deliberately make demands just to harass those whom they deride for their beliefs, culture, or diversity?

February 26, 2014 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  13. Anonymous

I just dont understand. The GOP/TP hate gays, why are they all coming out against this bill???????

February 26, 2014 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  14. Gurgyl

World is progressing–America is regressing. Pathetic to see republican rants garbage.

February 26, 2014 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  15. Rudy NYC

The main reason Brewer would veto the bill is purely economic. Arizona is already losing money just for letting the bill get this fair along the process, and Brewers' delays in acting don't help, either. For example, if Brewer signs the bill into law, then Phoenix, Arizona can forget about ever hosting another NFL Superbowl.

February 26, 2014 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    It most certainly is.
    Our President has not equivocaed on his position and has put his signature where his mouth is.
    The same, of course, cannot be said for Flim Flam Flip-Flop MIttens, so it behooves him to let those 10 or 12 people that still care about what he has to say know where he stands on this issue....today.
    Tomorrow, of course, is another etch-a-sketch opportunity day for Mittens, the master mixer.

February 26, 2014 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Furthermore, if I were the President, I would NOT opine one way or another on how Jan Brewer should handle this.
    Let Gov Pointy Fingers dig her own grave using whatever judgment the desert heat hasn't fried.
    The President should continue to allow Governors, especially, Governors in so-called Red states to act without his input.
    This is a very important election year.
    The people should see what they get when they elect Teatarded GOPers into office.

February 26, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  18. Wake up People!

I think I'm confused..... Did Mittens win? Is HE the POTUS? Then why the heck does his opinion matter?? I've never seen so much rallying around a loser in my entire life. I've seen many elections over the years, usually the loser just fades away, but not Romney. His opinion is needed on everything. Apparently some think he is POTUS. I think he thinks the same.

February 26, 2014 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  19. pbcal

What hypocrisy from Romney. His fellow church members originated this bill and now he's aghast?

February 26, 2014 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  20. Wake up People!

For those calling the POTUS weak, he has already made his position clear. He doesn't have to chime in every time a loser does.

I'm just wondering will you now speculate that Willard is gay? You know like you do the POTUS?

February 26, 2014 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. smith

Like I said yesterday the radical left and the radical right are the only ones who want this bill to pass. Notice some of the comments on this post, liberals are upset or think its a fake that Romney would stand against this bill. The fact that he is destroys their hate speech about Romney. We saw the same thing with Melissa Harris Perry.

February 26, 2014 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. Silence DoGood

@Sandy
    Good for you Mitt. Obama is too weak to have stance. What a pathetic leader. Sorry libs, you voted for him.
    --------
    Obama is kind of a busy world leader with petulant no-action GOP children to deal with. He should not comment on a bill so obviously unconstitutional that that it will certainly fail in the end.

February 26, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Wake up: "I think I'm confused..... Did Mittens win?"

Rather weird to see the losing presidential candidate playing make believe, isn't it?

@ Dominican mama:

About that arthritic pointy finger .... ? LOL.

As far as President Obama making a comment? He's doing her a BIG favor by NOT commenting. The backlash would be tremendous for her should she be seen in Arizona as agreeing with Obama.

February 26, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |