February 28th, 2014
10 months ago

Obama and Biden show us their moves

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are running again. But this time, not for office.

Demanding jobs aside, the two jogged around the White House in their ties to highlight the need to keep in shape.

"Mr. President, are you ready to move," Biden asked as he entered the Oval Office.

"Absolutely, let's do this thing. Let's move," Obama responded.

The two taped the video as part of first lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move initiative, which aims to reduce childhood obesity.

The video shows the pair running a lap through the hallways of the White House and outside by the Rose Garden.

At one point, the first family's Portuguese water dogs, Bo and Sunny, watched the two leaders run by.

To celebrate the fourth anniversary of the Let's Move initiative, the first lady asked Americans nationwide to use social media to show how they move.

While making an appearance on Jimmy Fallon's "The Tonight Show" last week, she said if the turnout was large, she had something fun planned.

"If we get enough response we'll have a little surprise. The President and maybe the Vice President will show us how they move," Obama said.

While exercising in a shirt and tie may not be ideal, the President and Vice President did stretch at the end of their lap and drink some water, another part of the Let's Move program.

"After a good workout, you got to drink up," President Obama said in the video.

"Otherwise we are going to be in trouble with Jill and Michelle," Obama added.

Well, home crisis averted.

1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake up People!
    I was a pretty decent sprinter back in the days when the track was cinder and they measured the distance in yards, and a good volleyball player Wake up!
    I can only swim to save MY life, anybody else that may need saving in the water and is counting on me to do it is NOT going to make it to shore alive!
    The problem with ex-jockettes like you and I is that in our mind's eye we still think that we can bounce right back.
    Our body, our mirros and the scale, meanwhile, are screaming out something different.
    Oy vey!

February 28, 2014 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy: "In other words, it stores everything you consume as fat, wasting nothing. If you spent years condtioning your body to hoard calories, it will take a lengthy amount of time to recondition your body to eat on a schedule."

You are so correct. I did in fact spend my life skipping meals. Never, ever ate breakfast ... lite meal at lunch, and dinner, well dinner, never seemed to affect me adversely. Until I stopped nearly all physical movement when I retired. The combination was bad for my health as well as my weight. I learned the hard way to readjust. I've cut down on the animal fats (which my daughter has always insisted I should have done long, long ago) and do keep a regular eating schedule. I do have to count calories, though.

@ Dominican mama: I envy you your son. Seriously.

@ Wake up: LOL at the donuts. I think I remember having one now and again. Or two. Or three.

February 28, 2014 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  3. Wake up People!

Ladies you're both so right. And Kudos to you Rudy. Or should we start calling you Mr. America?? Ok, ok, we don't want to swell your head too much. But I admire your perseverance.

Now let's all chant, Spring is just around the corner!!

February 28, 2014 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

DM4O wrote:

Dang Rudy! You're fine AND you can still "move pretty good"?!
    The ladies in your neighborhood must be swaying!
    You go boy! Lol!
    ------------------------–
    Thanks, for that. I turn heads aged from 17 to 70, and beyond. It gets me in trouble, through no fault of my own. I'm neither underweight nor overweight, just tall and well-muscled.....and very few gray hairs. Most of my male friends about my age either shave their heads to hide the gray, or are 50-100% gray and just don't care anymore.

February 28, 2014 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda MInnesota
    Internet hug from the hubby being sent your way
    -------------------------------------------------
    Right back at him babe! Aww!
    I gather from the comments I'm reading from you, Wake up and salty dog that all hell has broken loose cold weather-wise up in y'all's neck of the woods.
    Not sure where salty dog resides but -17 is brutal!
    Stay warm dude!!

February 28, 2014 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    Wake up People!
    ------------

You ladies are making me exhausted just thinking about those younger days ... ! Swim? I loved to swim. These days I have a vest on when I'm in the lake with the little ones.

February 28, 2014 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. Wake up People!

Also DM, I grew up on an island so I had to know how to swim. We actually lived about 500 yards from the beach. It was beautiful growing up there.

February 28, 2014 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy: "Most of my male friends about my age either shave their heads to hide the gray, or are 50-100% gray and just don't care anymore."

Yep. I have a son in law who did (and still does) that. Started when he was 21. Shaving his head that is. He was going bald.

February 28, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am |