February 28th, 2014
7 months ago

Obama and Biden show us their moves

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are running again. But this time, not for office.

Demanding jobs aside, the two jogged around the White House in their ties to highlight the need to keep in shape.

"Mr. President, are you ready to move," Biden asked as he entered the Oval Office.

"Absolutely, let's do this thing. Let's move," Obama responded.

The two taped the video as part of first lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move initiative, which aims to reduce childhood obesity.

The video shows the pair running a lap through the hallways of the White House and outside by the Rose Garden.

To celebrate the fourth anniversary of the Let's Move initiative, the first lady asked Americans nationwide to use social media to show how they move.

While making an appearance on Jimmy Fallon's "The Tonight Show" last week, she said if the turnout was large, she had something fun planned.

"If we get enough response we'll have a little surprise. The President and maybe the Vice President will show us how they move," Obama said.

While exercising in a shirt and tie may not be ideal, the President and Vice President did stretch at the end of their lap and drink some water, another part of the Let's Move program.

"After a good workout, you got to drink up," President Obama said in the video.

"Otherwise we are going to be in trouble with Jill and Michelle," Obama added.

Well, home crisis averted.

1. Dar

Well, home crisis averted.

That's nice the President and Vice President care enough to advert a crisis at home. To bad they don't have enough energy to repair the crisis the we hired them to do.
    I mean come on, they have to make sure that their house is good before others right??
    Complete dorks, both of them!!

February 28, 2014 05:45 am at 5:45 am |
  2. Margaret Morgan

Keep jogging President Obama and Vice President Biden! One day isn't enough! Keep up the good work and drink plenty of water!

February 28, 2014 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  3. Marie MD

Cool politicians. Can you imagine the old man or the twit doing anything like this?
    I can't.

February 28, 2014 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  4. hkirwin

Just another day in the continuing saga of Dumb and Dumber.

February 28, 2014 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  5. Chip

"After a good workout, you got to drink up,"
    Really??? You got to drink up?

February 28, 2014 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  6. salty dog

A bit cheesy for my tastes, but its a good cause, I think I'll skip the tie though.

February 28, 2014 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  7. liberal disease

two failuresthat keep running away from their failing administration..if not for the media supporting them Obama;s approval would be at 20%

February 28, 2014 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

One of our fittest Presidents if not THE fittest,
    Stay fit and clear-headed Mr. President so that you can continue to move us FORWARD.

February 28, 2014 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  9. Gary

I honor and respect my President and Vice President. Two good, brilliant men.

February 28, 2014 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

A President fit for the 21st century.
    Seguimos unidos con Obama.

February 28, 2014 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  11. Gurgyl

-you got to drink, only water or o.j., but not beer and dust-splash on this president, lately some of the no brain people are finding fault just because president is black, nonetheless he is doing extremely great for this nation, ignoring the troubles of two wars, not equipped with funds, trickle-down nonsense, many evaded Taxes, put in Cayman, Bermuda, Swiss banks to get away–crying on just unemployment benefit, food coupons, ignoring these are peanuts in front of that elephant.

February 28, 2014 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

Let's Move is an initiative that most Americans should relate to. I know that after retiring, I found that the unwanted pounds sneak up rather quickly (and not without cause). In my situation, 35 pounds. I finally lost the extra weight, but not without effort. Keeping it off ... yeah, well ... easier said than done.

"At one point, the first family's Portuguese water dogs, Bo and Sunny, watched the two leaders run by."

A smile to start the morning ... ! Thanks, CNN.

February 28, 2014 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  13. wendel

it seems that let's move is having a good result. Thanks Mr. Pres and Mr. VP for partaking .

February 28, 2014 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  14. Wake up People!

I love our POTUS and VP! Just two regular guys. Keep it up gentlemen.

And Marie, in all fairness, I would give McCain a free pass. He's no spring chicken anymore.

Translation DM..... My Spanish isn't that good!

February 28, 2014 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    -------------------------------------------------
    Umm, yeah, breakfast this morning was rice and beans for me!
    I'm blaming it on the menopause, that and a complete lack of discipline. LOL!
    I'm very proud of you for losing the post retirement weight Lynda.
    I am struggling with my weight for the first time in my life (think that rice and beans might have something to do with it?!).
    Seeing your metabolism die is no joke, and I can't seem to keep it jump started.
    I can empathize with folks struggling to stay or get in shape.
    Twenty pounds. That's what I have to shed. Twenty pounds....might as well be 100.

February 28, 2014 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  16. Rudy NYC

"Seguimos unidos con Obama."

Translation DM..... My Spanish isn't that good!
    ------------------------
    My Spanish has rust all over it, but it's an idiom that literally translates to "we're following united with Obama."

February 28, 2014 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake up People! and Rudy NYC
    Good Friday to everyone!
    Seguimos unidos con Obama: We continue to be united with Obama.

February 28, 2014 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  18. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama: "I'm very proud of you for losing the post retirement weight Lynda."

Thanks so much! It did creep up on me. One day I was trim ... the next day I needed rubber bands to keep my jeans secure around the waist. And the next day I went jean shopping. Only to do the rubber band thingy all over again. And again.

The treadmill, a work out video, and walking the stairs in my house (200 steps). For three straight months. Everyday. And salads. And calorie counting (of which I've become a pro).

Rice and beans! Well ... yeah! It's kind of like giving up the you know whats. You have to convince yourself you can do it. Sitting on the couch with my arms folded over my stomach was my turning point.

February 28, 2014 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

I can still move pretty good. I'm actually fairly fit. I just can't type very well. It's challenging.

February 28, 2014 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  20. Wake up People!

Thanks Rudy! I figured out united, but the other word was a little harder.

February 28, 2014 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  21. Hector Slagg

Uh,
    After watching Obummer asleep at the switch the last 5 years do we need more of the same with Joe. My Gawd who will run the Nanny State.

February 28, 2014 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  22. Rudy NYC

--------------------------------
    Sounds great, Lynda. I don't count calories, but I am calorie aware. I eat far less animal proteins than I used to, perhaps as much as 6 ounces on days when I do eat it. But, the most important thing to any diet, whether to lose weight or recover from heart surgery, is to eat on a schedule.

The body is a delicately balanced machine. If it knows when the next "fuel delivery"is coming, it tends to dispose of whatever excess is on hand. On the other hand, if you skip meals or eat random amounts at random times, then you've conditioned your body to hoard everything that comes its' way.

In other words, it stores everything you consume as fat, wasting nothing. If you spent years condtioning your body to hoard calories, it will take a lengthy amount of time to recondition your body to eat on a schedule. You might even experience a weight gain during the initial phases of reconditioning, but over time the body should take notice to a consistent fuel schedule and respond accordingly. I'd be curious to know Fair's opinion about diets and weight loss.

February 28, 2014 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  23. Wake up People!

Lynda and DM, I sympathize with the weight issue. Like you DM for the very first time in my life, I've found myself struggling also. I have always been in great shape. I was always very active. I ran track, did the long jump and I was a swimmer. I have always been able to eat anything I wanted to and never really gained anything. Fast forward to now and I'd love to get rid of a few pounds...... Like you said DM, 20 may as well be 100.

And I just walked in our breakroom and there's DONUTS!!

February 28, 2014 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    Sitting on the couch with my arms folded over my stomach was my turning point
    -------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the inspiration and more importantly the practical and this-is-what-you-have-to-do tips babe!
    I'm actually going to the gym 3 times a week with my youngest son who has self-sculpted an Adonis physique onto himself (was that grammatically correct? Rice and beans in the am make you mentally sluggish, evidently!).
    It appears that all of the discipline that has drained out me has been poured into him....
    But I don't adhere to that gym schedule as tightly as I should if you know what I mean (wink!).

Rudy NYC
    Dang Rudy! You're fine AND you can still "move pretty good"?!
    The ladies in your neighborhood must be swaying!
    You go boy!
    Lol!

February 28, 2014 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Wake up People!
    And I just walked in our breakroom and there's DONUTS!!
    -------------------------------------------------
    DONUTS!!! Yum! Yum! My fave! They are ALL my FAVE....thatt's the problem isn't it mami?!
    Meanwhile....I am so enjoying the light banter this morning amongst us.
    I have no doubt that cnn will see to it that it gets seriously ugly really quickly around here, but in the interim....eat up and be happy!

February 28, 2014 09:36 am at 9:36 am |