'Bowzer' to campaign for Democrat in Florida
March 4th, 2014
10 months ago

'Bowzer' to campaign for Democrat in Florida

(CNN) – Another blast from the past in the campaign for a tightly contested House special election in Florida.

Now it's Democrat Alex Sink who is hoping for a nostalgia bounce, bringing in Jon "Bowzer" Bauman from Sha-Na-Na fame to campaign with her.

Sha-Na-Na, with leather jackets and pompadours, had its heyday in the 70s. But the group still turns out the greaser look and grooves to classic '50s rock.

Bauman's doo-wop through the 13th Congressional District follows an appearance by "Price is Right" host Bob Barker in a TV ad for Republican David Jolly in December.

Sink's campaign said Floridians will this week receive automated calls from Bauman hitting Jolly over his stance on Medicare and Social Security.

Those are key issues in a district that holds one of the highest percentages of seniors in the country.

The special election has gained national attention and a sizable amount of spending from outside groups.

Both sides see the race, which covers most of Pinellas County and parts of St. Petersburg, as a possible bellwether for the 2014 midterm elections. And regardless of whether the race will serve as an indicator for what will happen in November, it will give either the GOP or the Democrats some short-term bragging rights.

The winner of the March 11 contest will fill out the term of Republican Rep. Bill Young, who died in October. At the time of his death, Young was the longest serving Republican in the House.

Young won 58% of the vote in his 2012 re-election but President Barack Obama narrowly carried the swing district that year and also won it in 2008, with 51% of the vote.

Sink, Florida's former chief financial officer, narrowly lost the 2010 gubernatorial election to Republican Rick Scott. Jolly served as a former general counsel for Young and also worked as a lobbyist. There's also a libertarian candidate in the race, who may take votes away from Jolly.

CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Alex Sink • Florida
  1. The Real Tom Paine

I thought he died years ago.

March 4, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Fair is Fair

LOL... really? Really????

March 4, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. salty dog

A lobbyist working for the Koch brothers, just what we need, I sincerely hope the elderly understand the gop tax plans, cut your ss, so the" job creators"can have another tax break.

March 4, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. salty dog

I hope bob barker was neutered too.

March 4, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. it must be said

Why not? These are the type of people that appeal to the low information, gullible voter the Democrat Party preys upon. They don't want to talk about their party's far left agenda and the destruction of our healthcare system at their hands. And jobs and the economy? Yeah, failures there too. So roll in the clown show, I mean Bubba, Bozo or Bowzer to entertain the clueless jobless masses.

March 4, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

I put Sha-Na-Na right up there with The Village People, Boy George, and Queen. Although, Eddie Mercury still as one of the most astonishing vocal ranges that I've ever heard. The man would go natural to falsetto and back without cracking or breaking in "Bohemian Rasphody." I didn't like Boy George too much, but the Culture Club was hellacious. Village People were perfectly named. Sha-Na-Na were riding the wave of "Happy Days" and other sitcoms. I thought they were phony.

March 4, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  7. Ol' Yeller

Fair is Fair
    LOL... really? Really????

Bowser and Sha-na-na may be campy and silly... but I'll take them over a draft dodging, insane, treasonous pedophile any day.

March 4, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. Sniffit

Haha...I remember those guys from when I was a little kid...awesome.

"follows an appearance by "Price is Right" host Bob Barker in a TV ad for Republican David Jolly in December."

Makes sense. Name a GOPer/Teatroll who's not completely bought and paid for by folks like the Koch brothers and I'll name you a liar.

March 4, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

-------
    It was Freddie Mercury, not Edde.

March 4, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"Christie on dealing with Obamacare concerns: ‘Elect a new President’"

This from the guy who is signing onto it and expanding Medicaid for the people of NJ? Sounds a lot like all those GOP/Teatroll governors who showed up for photo-ops to take credit for stuff paid for by the Stimulus package. Christie's even worse...as head of the RGA, he's having the RGA pay for ads that attack gubernatorial candidates who support the Medicaid expansion, even though he's doing it himself. The hypocrisy of the conservatives...and their opportunism and willingness to say whatever they think is convenient at the moment to win "points"...simply knows no bounds.

March 4, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. Thomas

Jon "Bowzer" Bauman is more of a man then Pat Boone !

Ted Nugent wears pampers on stage and sells them on Ebay to help "Rick" Scott run for President .

Rick Perry / Rick Scott 2016

Two Ricks are better then One !

March 4, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"You clearly don't understand what conservatives want "

Oh yes we do. They want a white male POTUS and a return to the 1950's, complete with Cold-War-mentality politics and gov't sanctioned discrimination.

EAT IT.

March 4, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. The Real Tom Paine

-it must be said

****************************
    Let me guess: Nugent fan, right?

March 4, 2014 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. Chris-E...al

I bet a lower G.I. is covered in the n0t so affordable ACa for sure Rudy toot toot ?

March 4, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

It was Freddie Mercury, not Edde.
    ---------------------------
    Right. My bad. Senior moment, I guess. I've been making more than my usual amount of typos today, too. The man had a vocal range that exceeded five octaves. Awesome singer.

March 4, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Malory Archer

it must be said

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hardly think anyone who finds classically trained pianists is either "low information" or "gullible". What is "the Democrat" Party, BTW?

March 4, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. TONE

@it must be said

If voters who cast votes for the Dems are low information voters then how do you describe republican voters i forgot stupid voters, jindal said it. it says a whole lot about the gop if all they havefor infomation is hannity, limpbaugh palin, and bachman

March 4, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. salty dog

Hate to tell you, but unless your rich, your the fool .

March 4, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. Silence DoGood

@Fair is Fair
    Rudy NYC

---
    It was Freddie Mercury, not Edde.
    ----------
    I would have thought a creation of a cartoon past that never existed and flexible range (of morality) would play better to the GOP.

March 4, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

-Rudy NYC

It was Freddie Mercury, not Edde.
    ---------
    ****************
    Agreed. I've never heard a voice like that. Incredible range.

March 4, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. salty dog

Have you considered you don't know what conservatives want, the ones in charge anyway? I believe you want our country to get better, that's good, so do I.

March 4, 2014 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ lee&rubio 24billion dallar LOSS of your tax money conservatives,the garbage of America.

Florida voters can't be DUMB enough to elect a CROOKED LOBBIST to any public office, oh ya, I forgot they elected Scott, the CONVICTED FELON to the governors office, but everybody makes mistakes especially the GOP clowns???????

March 4, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Rudy NYC

Silence wrote:

"It was Freddie Mercury, not Edde."

---------------
    My crystal ball says that Fair views Queen favorably. Thanks, again, Fair.

March 4, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. Expat American

Finally, a campaign headliner who I'm too young to recognize....well besides that crazy gun redneck.

March 4, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |