Congressman denies accusation of assaulting wife
March 5th, 2014
6 months ago

Congressman denies accusation of assaulting wife

(CNN) – Rep. Alan Grayson strongly denied an accusation that he assaulted and injured his wife, his office said in a statement.

"These allegations are absolutely false, completely unfounded, and clearly designed to vilify and harm Congressman Grayson," said Lauren Doney, a spokesperson for the Florida Democrat.

The Orlando Sentinel reported Tuesday that a judge granted a temporary protective injunction against Grayson after his wife, Lolita, filed a complaint, saying he shoved and injured her over the weekend.

Grayson's office said witnesses who saw the incident "also reject Ms. Grayson's version of events as an outright lie," adding that it was Lolita Grayson who attacked her husband, not the opposite. "He did not respond to Ms. Grayson's violent assault," the statement continued.

Lolita Grayson, who's been married to Alan Grayson for almost 24 years, filed for divorce less than two months ago, according to the Sentinel.

"Since filing for divorce, Ms. Grayson's behavior has become increasingly erratic, and she has demonstrated an alarming disconnect from reality," read the statement from his office.

According to her complaint, Lolita Grayson said her husband pushed her "very hard against the front door" causing her to fall to the ground, the Sentinel reported. In self defense, she said she pushed him in the face and kneed him the stomach, according to the newspaper.

The congressman was not arrested after the encounter and is not facing any charges, the Sentinel reported.

Grayson, who's known for making controversial statements in the past, was first elected to Congress in 2008 but lost his 2010 re-election bid. He ran again in 2012 and won.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Alan Grayson • Florida
  1. Fair is Fair

I questioned Florida's sanity when they elected thiis creep. Then they redeemed themselves and sent him packing. And then, for some unbeknownst reason, they brought the loon back. Lot of schitzos in FL, methinks.

March 5, 2014 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-Enough is Enough

"He looks like an abuser"

Really? I thought that people were against profiling.......

@silencedogood – no – unlike progressives I and most conservatives will not tolerate spousal abuse under any circumstances. I guess that's why so few republicans attempt comebacks after things like this....I wonder why so many democrats do....who is really conducting a war on women?
    ****************
    Then why did conservatives oppose changing the circumstances under which rape is prosecuted in the military? I remeber a tex GOP candidate for governor many years ago saying " Rape is like the weather: if you can't do anything about it, just lie back and enjoy it." Remember Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock? Please, your 'outrage" is nothing more than glee over someone who happens to be a Democrat being exposed as a pig.

March 5, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  3. scott

Let's see. He's a rich politician. She filed for divorce. What better way to squeeze money out of him and try to ruin his career than to make up a bogus claim of domestic violence? I refuse to pass judgement on him without knowing the facts, but if I had to bet, I'd bet the story were made up by an angry to-be ex-wife.

March 5, 2014 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  4. TONE

@Fair is Fair

I question the Gop sanity with all the creeps they elected to congress. This rep is outspoken, and intelligent the gop hates intelligence

March 5, 2014 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. salty dog

They both need counseling, busy Donna?

March 5, 2014 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  6. Kevin in va

Check out all of the criminals that serve in the house and senate. By no stretch of the imagination, is he the only one.

The problem is the political choices suck and one of them will win every election

March 5, 2014 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

These kinds of accusations are common, when women seek advantage, in divorce cases. They will go to extremes to try to instigate, and get proof of, assault, to gain that advantage in the divorce proceedings. Women can be extremely corrupt, when they want something.

March 5, 2014 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. Fair is Fair

TONE

@Fair is Fair

--------
    Congratulations, TONE!!! You're todays winner of the P.W. Herman School of Advanced "I Know You Are But What Am I" Studies Award!!! How about a few words for all your fans??

March 5, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

and sometimes the fact that a court will grant the temporary restraining order as a matter of course
    -------------------------------------------------
    Not sure how this works up in MA Sniffit, but here in MD restraining orders are/have been issued at the police station and most definitely NOT as a matter of course, but based on sworn statements by the person petioning for said restraining order.
    They are most certainly not granted on a "you asked for it you got it" basis.
    They are granted for 3 days after which you show up to court and ask for the order to be extended, and work out logisitics like child care expenses and household bills.
    Not a day in the park.

March 5, 2014 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"I questioned Florida's sanity when they elected thiis creep. "

LOL. But not when they elected Skeletor, the Medicare Fraud, and West, who broke all sorts of military rules by beating a captive and then simulating his execution by firing a gun beside his head? Grayson is no doubt bombastic and willing to say outrageous things o drive his point home, but they at least make sense and are supported by the evidence. West says crap like this:

"[Liberal women] have been neutering American men and bringing us to the point of this incredible weakness — to let them know that we are not going to have our men become subservient. That’s what we need you to do. Because if you don’t, then the debt will continue to grow…deficits will continue to grow.”

“But my b.s. flag really went up when [Al Jazeera] said they wanted my address, to pick me up at night. They said they would send a car but wouldn’t tell me where it was going. I don’t know if it was a kidnapping attempt. But I am not going to entrust Al Jazeera with my life. I said, ‘Cancel the interview!’”

Yeah...FL is chock full of stupid and crazy alright...but not for the reasons you seem to think.

March 5, 2014 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. rs

This is not unlike the Christie issue-
    Accusations, if true, will be a career ender and possibly result in jail time. Time (and evidence) will tell.

March 5, 2014 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. sly

Yawn. "No charges were filed". Yawn. Next news story. I've heard folks make strange accusations during divorces.

March 5, 2014 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. Stuffitu

Ordinarily it would be a career ender, however you a dealing with a corrupt lying democrat liberal "progressive" who will say it is racism and blame it on Bush.

March 5, 2014 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. ChrisM

Ah, the ol' angry wife accusation. Witnesses say the wife is lying. So there you have it folks

March 5, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. JS

Funny how they don't list his party in the article, so I guessed dem. Did a search and guess what, my gut was right. If he is a republican, I'm sure that would have been in the first sentence. Just blatant.

March 5, 2014 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama: "Not a day in the park."

No. Domestic abuse is never a day in the park. I have a few males in my family who could use a wake-up call. I only wish my grandmother had had access to restraining orders. As it is, the old man was finally sent to a mental institution where he spent the rest of his life drugged into oblivion. My father was 7 the last time he'd witnessed my grandmother being beaten. No abuse on my dad's part, ever, but certainly uncontrolled anger runs in my family. Two brothers have it bad. I learned how to walk on egg shells growing up around them, but my sisters in law? Not so much. Years of marriage interventions and so forth has eased their burdens, but the damage is done emotionally. To them and to my nieces and nephews. What a sad world we live in.

March 5, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  17. Bill, Bloomington Il

yes JS, I had to look it up also. I am also amused at the dems defending him. His wife is at fault and look what so and so did.

March 5, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  18. Wake up People!

Good lord JS, it says he's a democrat in the second sentence. The GOP really should focus on education, not abortion and same sex marriage.

March 5, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  19. henriette

Does it make me a bad person to know he is guilty of abuse just by seeing his photograph?

March 5, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  20. Reggie53

CNN why are you not posting my comments. I posted 2 comments on this and I am not seeing them. There was nothing offensive in them so why are they not posted?

March 5, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Tampa Tim

Does it make me a racist to like the elder Bush and Barbara, but to not have much use for Neal, Little George W, or Jeb?

March 5, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. Ol' Yeller

A. They did NOT leave out his political afilliation... it is right there where Lynda said it was (reading comprehension people!)
    B. I love how the righties have found him guilty based on one short article, but chrisite is innocent unless they have a video taped confession in writing notarized and witnessed by 5 member of SCOTUS; and then it is just hearsay.
    C. Many of you folks are apparently not familiar with the protective order process... anyone can 'claim' they need a protective order and file for one. The Judge will hear their story, give them the order (maybe), then set another hearing to hear the other side and see if the order actually stays in effect. The fact Rep. Grayson was NOT arrested by the police who apparently interviewed witnesses, is very telling as to his probable guilt.
    But you guys go ahead and try and convict him on this here board.... that just tells more about you than is does about 'the gang', who (as usual) seem to be more interested in getting the actual facts than it does in defending or lynching Rep. Grayson based on a single news article.

March 5, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. rs

Stuffitu

________________________________
    Yeah, 'cause Go knows, no Republican ever committed a crime, fooled around, or beat their wives.

March 5, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. dike

Somehow he looks like creep capable of doing what he is accused of... that is the bigot in me speaking....

March 5, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. John

No henriette, it makes you a bad person to "assume" he is guilty of abuse just by seeing his photograph.

March 5, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |