Congressman denies accusation of assaulting wife
March 5th, 2014
7 months ago

Congressman denies accusation of assaulting wife

(CNN) – Rep. Alan Grayson strongly denied an accusation that he assaulted and injured his wife, his office said in a statement.

"These allegations are absolutely false, completely unfounded, and clearly designed to vilify and harm Congressman Grayson," said Lauren Doney, a spokesperson for the Florida Democrat.

The Orlando Sentinel reported Tuesday that a judge granted a temporary protective injunction against Grayson after his wife, Lolita, filed a complaint, saying he shoved and injured her over the weekend.

Grayson's office said witnesses who saw the incident "also reject Ms. Grayson's version of events as an outright lie," adding that it was Lolita Grayson who attacked her husband, not the opposite. "He did not respond to Ms. Grayson's violent assault," the statement continued.

Lolita Grayson, who's been married to Alan Grayson for almost 24 years, filed for divorce less than two months ago, according to the Sentinel.

"Since filing for divorce, Ms. Grayson's behavior has become increasingly erratic, and she has demonstrated an alarming disconnect from reality," read the statement from his office.

According to her complaint, Lolita Grayson said her husband pushed her "very hard against the front door" causing her to fall to the ground, the Sentinel reported. In self defense, she said she pushed him in the face and kneed him the stomach, according to the newspaper.

The congressman was not arrested after the encounter and is not facing any charges, the Sentinel reported.

Grayson, who's known for making controversial statements in the past, was first elected to Congress in 2008 but lost his 2010 re-election bid. He ran again in 2012 and won.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Alan Grayson • Florida
  1. Ol' Yeller

Well it has become quite obvious many of our rightie friends on here are either so partisan they are blinded, they couldn't read their way out of wet newspaper, and/or they are completely illiterate and some partisan hack read this to them and purposefully left it out to watch their heads explode.
    Rep. Grayson is a Democrat, it says it right there in the second sentence (hint: see Lynda's post she cut and pasted it over for you).
    But you all go ahead and have your little guilty until proven innocent (and then maybe still guilty party).
    You are reallly cracking me up.
    And yes ,henrietta, if you believe you can tell a person is guilty by looking at his photograph then you may not be a bad person, but you are not a fair or reasonable person.

March 5, 2014 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. Hector Slagg

Gee Well,
    Politics will do that to you. Congressman Grayson lost some money in some deal not too long ago. Don't know why he and his wife are on the outs. Probably not Politics but personal.

March 5, 2014 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. Borderless

This guy. Nothing surprises me. Seriously, aren't elected officials supposed to pass some sort of psych eval? If not, shouldn't they?

March 5, 2014 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Jerry

Rep. Alan Grayson (D): Typical of most of my fellow Democrats! Deny, deny and deny, and hopefully IT will go away!!! I am starting to wonder if 0-Bama conducts SPECIAL LYING TRAINING STRATEGY SESSIONS for all Democrats. After all, HE's THE LYING KING!

Before 0-Bama my fellow Democrats did NOT need to be lying as much. Most of the time Democrats lie to cover for 0-Bama's foibles (ObamaCare, Benghazi, IRS, Solindra and other wasteful taxpayer funded investments, DOJ, HIS foreign policy debacles, etc., etc., etc.)

What is happening to my beloved party and América?!

Díos, !!!por favor ayúdanos!!! (GOD, please help us!!!)

March 5, 2014 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. critical thinking

Divorce? I can't believe he got someone to marry him.

March 5, 2014 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. TiredofSilly1

The man is an egotistical nutcase. I believe her.

March 5, 2014 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. CommonCents

Controversial statements??? This guy is one of only a handful in Congress who knows and lets us know what is really going on, I only wish I lived in his district to help re-elect him.

March 5, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Lynda Minnesota
    Cnn is apparently having my responses to you for lunch.
    Your last post was outstanding.
    Spoken like someone who has lived it.
    Something I wish we did NOT have in common...

March 5, 2014 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

Look at him. He's the next thing to a thug from the thirties. He's not a republican but he's a poor example of leadership, regardless of party affiliation.

March 5, 2014 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. Voice of Reason

Alan Grayson does not belong in Congress. I typically support progressive causes, and shake my head at the GOP 's usual pre-enlightenment stances on most everything – But Grayson is an exception. Democrat or no, he has no business being in Congress. I said the same thing last year when he made his repugnant comments about conservatives, and I'll say it again. If you cannot raise the level of discourse above that of a locker room, you have no place in elected public service.

March 5, 2014 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  11. TONE

@Borderless

If they really really do many in the Gop will not make it.

March 5, 2014 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. Lizzie

rs, just like all democrats are angels, always speak the truth, never did any insider trading, tax evasion, or kill.

March 5, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. Guest

Jerry, you are not a democrat, that much is obvious. Most of us democrats are hard working middle class people who know to stay out of other people's marriage differences. it was absolutely none of my business when the former governor of SC took off from his real family (I don't live in SC and don't vacation there, so his wasting their taxpayers money is their dog to fight, not mine), it was none of my business when Bill cheated on Hillary (I do think Monica is a tramp – if you know the guy is married, woman up and say no and by no means should you conduct yourself in the manner she did – at 20 she should have known better, if not her mother did a very bad job, I have 2 daughters and believe this completely), none of my business when Ronnie left Jane for Nancy. While I don't personally believe in divorce or activities by married people that lead up to it unless it is me and my one and only spouse of 35 years or my parents it is probably not really any of my business.

March 5, 2014 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. Jerry

"ONE MORE THING": According to most of my fellow Democrats, I was led to believe it was the Republicans who had declared "War on Women." A statement/question for women to really ponder.

Uhm... Oh well...

March 5, 2014 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. sly

"What is happening to my beloved party and América?!"
    America is doing great! President Obama killed our #1 enemy of all time, and ended 2 Bush Oil Genocides.

Our stock market hit an all time high yesterday. 401k's at all time high. Deficit down 40% this year alone! People are allowed to get married now, and we ended the Republican ban on health care for 50 million of our citizens.

Good times for America. Those who don't like it are free to return to Germany or Russia or whereever.

And yes, men and women do get divorced – I've read that in the news.

March 5, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. lean6

It's an automatic mode for some women in this country to resort to character assassination and trickery at the end of marriages because, for the most part, they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Because of the family court bias against males in this country, marriage in this day and age is a suicide mission for males.

March 5, 2014 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Jerry, you are not a democrat, that much is obvious.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Correct, but the accent mark over America and the spanish phrase at the end was a nice touch n'cest pas?

March 5, 2014 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Ol' Yeller

Hey Jerry?!? You know North Korea calls itself a Democracy, but that don't make it one.
    Remember that when you decide to try and play Democrat again.

March 5, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. Fair is Fair

sly

"What is happening to my beloved party and América?!"

Good times for America.
    ------–
    Good times, you say? Let's look at your reasoning.

Bin Laden dead. Yes, that's a good thing, but for 99.99% of Americans, his demise hasn't nor will ever improve their life. Stock market at an all time high. Yes, that's a good thing, especially if you're one of those evil rich. 401(k) at an all time high? Yes, that's a good thing, if you're saving in one, which only an incredibly meager 30 or so percent of eligible people are.

Let's look at some things you neglected to mention. 50 MILLION people on food stamps. Record number of people on Social Security Disability Income. Workforce participation rate at near record lows. 17 Trillion in debt. Unfunded Medicare & Social Security liabilities which can never be met. Average middle class purchasing power $5 thousand per year less than when Obama took office. Students graduating college with $100K or more in debt and no jobs in sight. Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I could go on and on and on and on....

Yes, indeed. Good Times. Laissez les bon temps roulez!!!!!

March 5, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  20. Bill

Nothing like airing your dirty laundry over the national news.

March 5, 2014 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  21. tom l

@DMFO and Lynda,

"@ tom l
    And there you have it tom l.
    The gang's response.
    Did it change anything in your universe?"
    =====

Hello ladies and a happy humpday to you. My universe is still the same. :) I'm so sorry that this has hit closer to home for both of you and I really wasn't making light of the actions whatsoever. This is not a joke and abuse is no laughing matter.

March 5, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. EuphoriCrest

Only a doofus would wear a Monopoly money tie.

March 5, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  23. Know Your Subject

Innocent until proven guilty should be the universal standard, although those accused of domestic violence and spouse abuse rarely get the benefit of that doubt ... unless they are politicians who are Democrats.

War on Women, indeed.

March 5, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  24. mark edwards

Well you can take one look at his mug and tell he is a wifebeater and a bully. Women just don't make it up and I'm sure this is not the first time. I would blame Bush.

March 5, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |