Perry tells Kimmel: 'I do interviews with a gun'
March 12th, 2014
6 months ago

Perry tells Kimmel: 'I do interviews with a gun'

(CNN) - Giving a hint at a possible second run for the White House, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Tuesday on late night TV that, "America is a great place for second chances. Let's keep it at that."

Perry's answer came in an appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," after the host asked the longtime GOP governor of Texas why he would want to make another presidential bid in 2016 after his 2012 campaign "didn't go so well."

Kimmel is doing his show from Austin for the Texas capital's annual "South by Southwest" festival and conference, and Perry was initially booed by the audience as he joined Kimmel on stage for an early taping for Tuesday night's program. Austin is known as a progressive city in the mostly red Lone Star State.

But Perry wasn't fazed, telling Kimmel that "after 14 years of this kind of love, it's all good, man."

And Perry gave as good as he got. When asked if he wanted to make any news regarding a possible second White House run, Perry responded that, "This is not the crowd that I want to make this announcement at."

Perry and Kimmel discussed the decriminalization of marijuana. Last month, in an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" Perry said that Texas was looking at adjusting its penalties for criminal use of the drug, adding that jail time may not be the best answer for offenders.

"You don't want to ruin a kid's life for having a joint," Perry told Kimmel.

When asked by Kimmell if he'd ever smoked pot himself, Perry said, "No, thank God."

But the governor quickly added, "Does second-hand count? Because I think there's still some left in there where Snoop was."

Snoop Dogg was Kimmel's previous guest.

Perry confirmed that he jogs with a gun and said the story that he once shot a coyote while jogging was also true. Perry joked to Kimmel that, "I do interviews with a gun."

Kimmell played some home video of Perry playing the drums on stage at a concert with the longtime rock band ZZ Top.

"Every kid is lying if they say they don't want to play on a stage with a rock band," Perry said.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. sonny chapman

Does interviews w/a gun. I want my kids to grow & be just like him. Nah, I'll use Jesus as a Role Model.

March 12, 2014 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  2. king

all these gun fanatics spreading guns all over our country like a plague. all you see is folks walking around with guns in holsters, its like back in the wild west. i wonder if someone was to jack a person who they knew had a gun. i wonder would the outcome be different if they dont want to be shot in the back.

March 12, 2014 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Why would someone, like a state governor, need to bring a gun to a TV interview? Who would do that? I guess you'd have to be the type that carries a concealed gun with you most everywhere you go.

March 12, 2014 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

Well, yes, Rick Perry. Your first campaign didn't go so well. We'll see how it works out for you in 2016. Judging by your comments thus far ... not so well this time either.

March 12, 2014 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. Chris-E...al

Sorry but Perry should stand down and be happy he made a gov . Along with a few others ? V0te out the dems in Nov ppl !

March 12, 2014 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. S.B. Stein

I would like to see Perry as the GOP nominee and have his fall on his face during the debates. That would be just grand. He did it during the primary debates last time. Why would this time be any different?

The problem is that if everyone has a gun, people are going to use them. I can honestly believe that only a small percentage of the population is properly trained to use the weapon they have and know not to use it in anger or frustration.

March 12, 2014 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Wake up People!

Anyone that feels they need to carry a gun everywhere they go is nothing but a damn coward! Scared to leave home without packing heat. This is how they show their manliness. Nothing but a bunch of cowards.

March 12, 2014 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House

"after 14 years of this kind of love, it's all good, man."
    --------------------------------
    You were booed moron. Anyway, you never smoked weed huh? So what do you blame for your temporary memory loss on the debate stage last year?

March 12, 2014 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  9. Enough is Enough

"Perry joked to Kimmel that, "I do interviews with a gun."

Did you read the article? It was a joke.....man you progressives have no sense of humor.....you treat comedy shows as a news source. Come to think of it....the President also seems to think they are news shows.....Hmmmm....explains a lot.....

March 12, 2014 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  10. wendel

Just what we need a president that packs heat .

March 12, 2014 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  11. Drew

Guess you guys missed the part of the article where it says "Perry JOKED to Kimmel that I do interviews with a gun"

March 12, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  12. The Real Tom Paine

I remember my brother-in-law telling me that he packs a gun whereever he goes, even the bathroom. When we start to view guns as fashion accesories, then we have a problem as a society. BTW, this little gem will not endear him to suburbanites in the northeast, midwest, and the West coast. I know this comes as a shock to the Perry/Palin/Nugent crowd, but they are Americans too, and if you want to convince them you are a responsible person, perhaps its not a great idea to admit that.

March 12, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  13. never to vote republican again

Get combo, no brains and carries a gun.

March 12, 2014 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

Who carries a gun while jogging?
    Do you think he carries a gun to church? To the store? To bed?
    If he runs in 2016, will he be frisked and defrocked before any debates?

I think there are some folks who are go overboard with guns. George Zimmerman is a prime example of what I mean. It makes some folks feel empowered and invincible, and without it they know that they are nothing.

March 12, 2014 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. Chris-E...al

Some ppl are right ! But still ant right? forgiv me father .

March 12, 2014 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Check out Rick Perry and his new glasses trying to look like "Superman"....more like Stupidman.
    Who the hell jogs with a gun?
    Doesn't he have some sort of secruity detail assigned to him being governor and all?
    Are the Republicans hoping that Rick Perry fills the huge gaping hole left them by their poll-plunging, soon-to-be-no-more Great White Hope Christie?
    LMAO

March 12, 2014 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  17. piratejohn56

Always carry, legal or not.

March 12, 2014 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  18. HenryMiller

"Austin is known as a progressive city in the mainly red Lone Star State."

Well, no. I lived there for a lot of years. Sadly, Austin is afflicted with a ridiculous number of naive, impressionable, college kids—I went to graduate school at UT Austin—led astray by Left-deluded professors, but most of the population are sensible people, and the kids generally recover from their brainwashing a few years after leaving school.

March 12, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. The Real Tom Paine

I remember meeting someone from South Carolina on vacation, who told me he shot a coyote on a church lawn while riding his bike. Amusing as that story was, its kind of shocking that someone would be packing heat in a rural section of any state. By the way, before anyone starts, I grew up in a rural county in NY where hunting season was a big deal. No one I knew growing up ever did that. This seems to be more of a product of our modern culture rather than preserving any sort of traditional notion or use of firearms. Also, as a runner for over 36 years, only a complete imbecile would carry a gun while running. If you are that afraid of being mugged, buy a treadmill.

March 12, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. Randy, San Francisco

Gov Perry may as well join a rather large field of weak and polarizing candidates with no charisma and little national appeal.

March 12, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

The Real Tom Paine
    -----------–

I can honestly say that this is a first ... even for me living up in the wilds during the summer. I might have to check behind the toilet before the grandkids come up again ... !

(Indoor plumbing ... just in case someone suggests I "carry" on my way to the outhouse).

March 12, 2014 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. Silence DoGood

@piratejohn56
    Always carry, legal or not.
    -----------------
    Congratulations, you have just increased the likelihood of death and accidental shooting for your family and friends according to medical journals and CDC studies. Perhaps adding live poisonous snakes might help too.

March 12, 2014 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  23. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

Who the hell jogs with a gun?
    --------------------–
    If I'm not mistaken, Rick Perry did occasionally wear glasses during the 2012 campaign contests. Don't worry. Rick Perry would never win a general election, especially with his hypocritical record. Big government is one of his specialties.

March 12, 2014 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. The Real Tom Paine

-HenryMiller

"Austin is known as a progressive city in the mainly red Lone Star State."

*******************
    In other words, they become cynical codgers after seeing how indifferent so-called family values conservatives really treat their neighbors. I guess left-deluded means educated, and we all know that TX is not the intellectual capital of the world. I guess your degree from UT explains why you are so embittered: its an inferior education.

March 12, 2014 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

Drew

-----------------
    Of course. You're missing the point, though. The big picture.
    What type of mind would find that type of sick behavior to be funny? Only another sick mind could relate, that's who.

March 12, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |