March 14th, 2014
7 months ago

Inside Politics: GOP debate over policy and personalities

Washington (CNN) – It's getting personal on all fronts as Republicans debate the wisdom of their leaders - present and future.

Two leading GOP 2016 contenders, the freshmen Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, are in a public spat over foreign policy that quickly became framed around what seems to be the perennial GOP question: Who is the heir to Ronald Reagan?

FULL POST

Filed under: Inside Politics
  1. Marie MD

The teaklans have a leader?
    When your choice of 2016 contenders is a racist and a canadian who CANNOT be president then you know the party is in real trouble Nd tumbling down a ravine to he//.
    They have nothing in place as far as policy(trying to repeal Obamacare 50 times, shutting down the government getting rid of food stamps for the poor and veterans and trying to take away our personal rights among soooo many other things) is not what the country needs.
    As far as personalities? Don't make me laugh. They have none even when they are in fighting.

March 14, 2014 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. Pam

they bring up Reagan's name like he was something to aspire to!
    An aged actor, who spent most of his years in the White House under a fog of Alzheimers..while the government was being run by others.......
    Hmmmmm......most of these GOP'ers are already living in a fog of unreality anyway!!!

March 14, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. S.B. Stein

It makes me wonder what these people value. If they really value helping people and don't want the government to protect and help its citizens, then they should be working to make an organization that can do as well or better than the federal government that covers all 50 states and the territories. Get the wealthy (top 2% or so) to fund it.

March 14, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. Gurgyl

@pam, god bless you for saying harsh reality, thanks. Keep up. Please stay connected to ticker and other blogs. God bless you.

March 14, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. Tony D

Pam, sounds a lot like what we have today....

An inexperienced community organizer, who spends most of his time golfing and attending fund raisers or celebrity events..while the government was being run by others....... and he claims he didn't know nothing about nothing over and over.

March 14, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. salty dog

Personality and policy, two thjngs absent in the current gop

March 14, 2014 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

Wake up People!
    Aww Fox-lite am I not allowed to shed light on the hilarity of this situation? Am I not allowed to compare it to how this country was founded???
    ---––

Nope. I tried to share with Rudy in an earlier article on how my husband has kindly gotten an engineering associate to design a reel which I can handle enough to reel in a fish (because my arthritis has limited my hand movements); but my comment was scrapped.

Your comment was (at least I assume) related to the article?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Pheww!!
    I thought they just had it in for me today!@
    Bumped off the Scott thread, the Hillary thread......I might as well go back and do some work (wink!).

March 14, 2014 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. vikingwoman

The GOTP is split, like a 'split personality' & that's why they are in political trouble! Paul tries to ride the fence w/the T-Party folk, while Cruz is their hero! Neither side of the the GOTP make much sense or logic in their presentations of their 'message,' because it's all about trashing Obamas policies, yet they have no option or alternative! I have yet to hear either of the Repub sides say, for ex: the ACA can be improved by These measures or can be replaced by This program, which is much easier to use & understand, but, as usual, they have Nothing!! Don't think that will go over well in 2016!

March 14, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Wake up People!

Nope DM, not just you. I posted at least 3 comments on the Hill thread and got zapped. All I asked was if they'd uncovered any info that Hill and Monnie had a thing? I mean it is Hill that's running not Bill, right???

March 14, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. robert

Under Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony, punishable by up to two years in prison. Immigrants who are deported and attempt to re-enter can be imprisoned for 10 years. Visa violators can be sentenced to six-year terms. Mexicans who help illegal immigrants are considered criminals.

The very first act of Mexicans when they enter this country illegally is to commit a crime! There is a pathway to US citizenship and millions have availed themselves of it. It’s called getting in line. What would he say to those who took the legal path? You people are fools!
    Furthermore, enforcing our immigration laws does not separate families; quite the opposite it reunites them. When illegals are deported to their country of origin, they are reunited with their grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins. It also gives them an opportunity to get in line if they want to emigrate.

March 14, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Thomas

History , watching Russia move from communism to fascist nationalism before our eyes in amazing .

We sure wasted our assets on Afghanistan and Iraq .

We need a world war on corruption and greed .

March 14, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

DM4O wrote:

Pheww!!
    I thought they just had it in for me today!@
    ------------------------------–
    My son has told me of a form of temporary detention that he calls "twitter jail". I guess there's a "ticker jail" around here, too.

March 14, 2014 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |