Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans
March 14th, 2014
5 months ago

Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans

(CNN) - President Barack Obama hit back at critics calling him out for his "mom jeans.

"I've been unfairly maligned about my jeans," Obama said Friday in an interview with radio host Ryan Seacrest.

"The truth is, generally I look very sharp in jeans. There was one episode like four years ago in which I was wearing some loose jeans, mainly because I was out on the pitcher's mound and I didn't want to feel confined while I was pitching, and I think I've paid my penance for that. I got whacked pretty good. Since that time, my jeans fit very well."

The topic of the President's ill-fittingly jeans came up when Seacrest asked Obama about his recent trip to the Gap where he did some shopping for daughters Sasha and Malia.

The President's denim has had a tough go of it over the years.

The "mom jeans" joke came to be early in his first term when he threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Major League Baseball All-Star Game.

Former Alaska Gov. and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin brought the joke back in the political spotlight last week when talking about the turmoil in Ukraine during an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity.

"People are looking at Putin as one who wrestles bears and drills for oil," Palin said. "They look at our President as one who wears mom jeans and equivocates and bloviates."

Obama's interview with Seacrest comes as the White House revs up its last minute push to get Americans to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act before the March 31 open enrollment deadline.

During the interview, Obama continued his get-covered pitch, saying people should sign up because "you never know what kind of curveballs life throws at you."

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Tampa Tim

Did we bash Mitt's $700 sissy jeans? If we did, then we should let the wingnuts have their fun.

March 14, 2014 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. bill

Gee, poor little Berry. I'm sure he can find somebody to blame. If you like your mom jeans you can keep your mom jeans.

March 14, 2014 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Tommy G

Obama thin skinned?? The understatement of the year. Geez, this clown really needs to suck it up and pay attention to the things that matter and one of those isn't the criticism of his mommy jeans. No wonder things are such a mess here and abroad.

March 14, 2014 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Tampa Tim:

---------

Oh how I miss Mittens blue oxford shirts.

Yeah, I agree. Let them have their fun.

March 14, 2014 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Love my President, hated those jeans.
    Hope they're in the ash bin!

March 14, 2014 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama

Hey, I missed you earlier this a.m. Have a great weekend. My time at CNN is fast nearing its conclusion. There is a world out there I'd like to get back into and quite frankly I've about taken in as much politics as I can stomach.

I'll catch up with you whenever I can. Be safe ... yes?

March 14, 2014 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"I just love the liberals on here with their theories that if someone has been affected in a negative way by the ACA they must be lying, haven`t reseached the website, had a junk policy before, hates Obama, and so on."

It's not a theory. It's been proven repeatedly, with the latest example being the Boonstra woman that the Koch brothers featured in an anti-ACA ad claiming that her costs were going up. It was subsequently proven that her costs are, in fact, about $1,200 less per year with the "gold" plan she purchased on the ACA. She just "coincidentally" also happens to be the ex-wife of a man that GOP governor Snyder appointed as a judge. Hannity's parade of ACA horror stories was similarly factchecked and ever one of the people in it was found to be both lying and clueless, repeating what they'd "heard" as though it was truth they experienced themselves and one was even found to have never even bothered to check the ACA exchange website and was just making things up. It's not an "assumption" that these anecdotes are BS....not when so many, so often are actually proven to BE BS. If you could find the legitimate ones to tell these stories TRUTHFULLY, you'd have done so by now. That you haven't strongly suggests YOU CAN'T.

March 14, 2014 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Sniffit

LOL. He's clearly being facetious and just having some fun with this topic, but that won't stop the pantywad Teatrolls from finding some thin, irrational excuse to spew their vitriol about it.

March 14, 2014 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. Silence DoGood

OK I can see it now: Rush L. leaks story about how Obama and the Illuminati are forcing the Death Panels of the ObamaCare which are located in Benghazi or Area 51 to wear these type of jeans while fabricating new birth certificates for him while attacking The Christmas. Don't laugh.

March 14, 2014 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. President Darky Mommy Jeans

I know where all of you Mommy jean critics live so if you don't want the IRS showing up at your door you will stop the Mommy jean jokes. I mean it too. Just ask the Tea party organizations.

March 14, 2014 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama

I'll catch up with you whenever I can. Be safe ... yes?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Hey babe, you enjoy your weekend as well.
    I completely understand about needing a break from time to time from the political cesspool.
    Been there, done that.
    I just hope you don't leave us anytime soon as I would miss you dearly!
    Be blessed my friend.

March 14, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Tony D

I certainly hope the Presidential historian has saved those mommy jeans for prominent display in the Obama Presidential Library. They symbolize his presidency perfectly. We will look back in a few years and call the the Obama Mommy Jean Era, the time when America lost her way, her economy and her superpower status.

March 14, 2014 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. Keek

I can think of better things to make fun at this bozo than his Jeans. Lets start with his ears. gee if he get caught in a high wind he might blow away oh yeah that would be a good thing.

March 14, 2014 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

@ Tampa Tim:

---

Oh how I miss Mittens blue oxford shirts.

Yeah, I agree. Let them have their fun
    -------------------------------------------------
    Actually liked those oxford shirts, but his jeans could've been set on fire as well!
    Looooved Ann's thick gold bangles. To die for!
    Don't miss either one of them though.

March 14, 2014 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Tampa Tim

smith – read President Bush's resignation letter to the NRA in 1993. You might be enlightened.

March 14, 2014 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  16. Celebrity Dictator

His jeans probably cost more than my house.

March 14, 2014 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  17. Celebrity Dictator

GOP solution – the only slaves here are the ones reliant on Obamacare and his record number of food stamps.

March 14, 2014 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Angelina

There really isn't much to talk about when it comes to your President ..., his jeans , golf , Hollywood and late night show appearances , that sums it up.
    Americans are dumb and getting dumber..!!!

March 14, 2014 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  19. Ol' Yeller

Man, oh man.... some real intellectual giants on here today. Tommy G and bill should just bash their foreheads against their keyboards... that would create much more sensible and readable posts than that moronic drivel they put out when they think about it for an hour.

March 14, 2014 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  20. Ron L

PROOF on just how immature the nation is...as a society we are becoming more pathetic in the items that linger in or discourse. It would be WONDERFUL if our news organizations would ignore this dribble and let entertainment magazines provide the coverage (if any).

March 14, 2014 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  21. Smitty

This is what the BIGGEST LIAR OF THE YEAR is worried about?? It aint the jeans its Obumbles, dork

March 14, 2014 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Beth

Then wear boy jeans instead of girl jeans.

March 14, 2014 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  23. Gurgyl

I bet these guys do not have any thing substantial. Other than crying on jeans. I wear whatever I want. What is so funny. Even if it is funny–I practically do not care. As long as it is not awkward.

March 14, 2014 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. Daniel6

The fact that he even comments on "His jeans" speaks volumes about our shallow POTUS

March 14, 2014 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. ColoMtnHiker

Everything the Democrats do is wrong! Everything the Republicans do is wrong! The only realistic choice when voting is one or the other. This seems to indicate that the Independents and the old USA are screwed!

March 14, 2014 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |