Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans
March 14th, 2014
6 months ago

Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans

(CNN) - President Barack Obama hit back at critics calling him out for his "mom jeans.

"I've been unfairly maligned about my jeans," Obama said Friday in an interview with radio host Ryan Seacrest.

"The truth is, generally I look very sharp in jeans. There was one episode like four years ago in which I was wearing some loose jeans, mainly because I was out on the pitcher's mound and I didn't want to feel confined while I was pitching, and I think I've paid my penance for that. I got whacked pretty good. Since that time, my jeans fit very well."

The topic of the President's ill-fittingly jeans came up when Seacrest asked Obama about his recent trip to the Gap where he did some shopping for daughters Sasha and Malia.

The President's denim has had a tough go of it over the years.

The "mom jeans" joke came to be early in his first term when he threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Major League Baseball All-Star Game.

Former Alaska Gov. and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin brought the joke back in the political spotlight last week when talking about the turmoil in Ukraine during an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity.

"People are looking at Putin as one who wrestles bears and drills for oil," Palin said. "They look at our President as one who wears mom jeans and equivocates and bloviates."

Obama's interview with Seacrest comes as the White House revs up its last minute push to get Americans to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act before the March 31 open enrollment deadline.

During the interview, Obama continued his get-covered pitch, saying people should sign up because "you never know what kind of curveballs life throws at you."

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Independent Thinker

"I've been unfairly maligned about my jeans," Obama said Friday...

LOL! The man isn't accountable for ANYTHING!

March 14, 2014 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. meki60

Jeans! Who cares about that? Everything else about Obama is garbage. Jeans?!

March 14, 2014 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  3. oliver

Whatever you want to say about the president's jeans, you can not tell me with an honest face that Sarah Palin actually knew the definitions of "equivocates and bloviates" until some aid fed her the words to use for the Hannity "interview".

March 14, 2014 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  4. Sharona

The part of the man that is important is NOT in his jeans! Jesus said,"worry not for raiment." Brains, not clothes make the man.

March 14, 2014 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  5. jeff

He sounds really busy. What a disgusting disappointment Obama is.

March 14, 2014 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  6. Franky

Oh man, come on folks, geez GOP relax , take a load off, the President is clearly joking around about the Mom jeans. Man, I understand you hate the guy but serious your vitriol is bordering on unhealthy for your soul.

March 14, 2014 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  7. shayne

You do have mommy jeans obama..furthermore dont worry about something so petty its sick..this story has got to be the dumbest thing ive read. people are consumed with pettiness in our age.

March 14, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. Shelia

Pay no attention to the Russia situation or failure of Obamacare let's talk about my Mom jeans....Will his mom Jeans me in his presidential museum?

March 14, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  9. If you believe THAT...........

The world is on the brink and the leader of the once great [Pre-Obama] Americans is worried about his JEANS...........????

March 14, 2014 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  10. Leonor

So Venezuelans are being raped, tortured and killed and Russia is threatening war and sanctions while invading another country YET CNN THINKS THAT THE PRESIDENTIAL jeans ARE A BIGGER STORY...?????
    THAT THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF SEES IT AS A WORTHY CAUSE ENOUGH TO COMMENT ON, IS JUST TRULY BAFFLING.
    PRINT THIS CNN!!!

March 14, 2014 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Kim

You have to admit this is definitely not stylish, but then neither is any of Michele's clothes. She is the worst dressed first lady.

March 14, 2014 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  12. GC

I'm sorry Barack but your jeans are horrible though! I'm just saying, and so are Mitt's. I get on my parents all the time about rocking clothes that don't compliment them. Just because you're getting old doesn't mean you have to stop caring. I know priorities change but it's a real eye sore! Dem jeans are horrible bruh...

March 14, 2014 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. jdoe

I like baggy jeans. Not droopy baggy, but loose and comfortable to wear. Today's "skinny" jeans are not even jeans at all, more like thick spandex, tight and uncomfortable to wear. They look more like mom jeans to me.

March 14, 2014 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. Joe Shmoe

He is right – stop bashing his jeans ... Start bashing him and his policy!

March 14, 2014 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  15. Gina

Quit worrying about what people think of your jeans and instead concentrate on being a president who isn't such an idiot.

March 14, 2014 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. Noah

Bloviates...yikes, it's pathetic when I have to look up a word that Sarah Palin says. I feel like an idiot.

March 14, 2014 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  17. Shootingstarj

He actually said"I look sharp in jeans"!!!
    Nothing egotistical about Obama!

March 14, 2014 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. andy

Wow... There are so many criminal and unethical things stemming from this administration and instead ol enlightening people to this our mainstream news is talking about Obama and a bad pair of jeans. My fellow Americans, sadly we are not living in the America that we have been led to believe in.

March 14, 2014 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  19. Government Waste Rules

This is what Obama is worried about? Then he should wear his golf pants more often.

March 14, 2014 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  20. concerned civilian

who cares about your jeans...

March 14, 2014 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  21. Name love the prez...

I always thought palin was an air head the latestbcomment confirm that...

March 14, 2014 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  22. hoosiermisfit

His mom jeans? Seriously, Mr. Obama, how many more creative ways can you misdirect our attention from your real issues?

March 14, 2014 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  23. Guadalupe Smith

Nice jeans sir

March 14, 2014 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Seriously..jeans..have we come to this! Is there so little going on in the world that we have to belittle someone for their choice of jeans...i can think of several topics that actually matter...but JEANS..SERIOUSLY..GET A LIFE!

March 14, 2014 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. wendel

even the president can poke fun at himself. His jeans don't bother me but im glad they got palins pants in a bunch.

March 14, 2014 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |