Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans
March 14th, 2014
5 months ago

Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans

(CNN) - President Barack Obama hit back at critics calling him out for his "mom jeans.

"I've been unfairly maligned about my jeans," Obama said Friday in an interview with radio host Ryan Seacrest.

"The truth is, generally I look very sharp in jeans. There was one episode like four years ago in which I was wearing some loose jeans, mainly because I was out on the pitcher's mound and I didn't want to feel confined while I was pitching, and I think I've paid my penance for that. I got whacked pretty good. Since that time, my jeans fit very well."

The topic of the President's ill-fittingly jeans came up when Seacrest asked Obama about his recent trip to the Gap where he did some shopping for daughters Sasha and Malia.

The President's denim has had a tough go of it over the years.

The "mom jeans" joke came to be early in his first term when he threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Major League Baseball All-Star Game.

Former Alaska Gov. and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin brought the joke back in the political spotlight last week when talking about the turmoil in Ukraine during an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity.

"People are looking at Putin as one who wrestles bears and drills for oil," Palin said. "They look at our President as one who wears mom jeans and equivocates and bloviates."

Obama's interview with Seacrest comes as the White House revs up its last minute push to get Americans to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act before the March 31 open enrollment deadline.

During the interview, Obama continued his get-covered pitch, saying people should sign up because "you never know what kind of curveballs life throws at you."

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Vladdy Putin

Ok? We have Russian Tanks massing in eastern Europe, A plane with 300+ people missing in a apparent hijack and NoBama is complaining about his jeans to Ryan Secrest ???

March 15, 2014 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  2. DanInKy

Sarah Palin accuses someone of bloviating. That is truly rich. Every time she opens her mouth, something stupid falls out of it. Thank you John McCain for foisting this narcissist off on the American people. She'd be living in trailer park oblivion if it weren't for you. Always has been and always will be, TRASH.

March 15, 2014 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  3. Bystander

Tabloid journalism? Is Kim Jong Un really so bad? His horoscope reveals that he’s a softy that cries during any Sandra Bullock movie. Stay tuned as the least smart man from the UK says things so vapidly inane on air that the developmentally disabled coalition feels that Piers Morgan is openly mocking them on purpose.

March 15, 2014 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  4. sandy

With all the c r a p going on, Obama feels it's necessary to chat with Ryan Secrest about his out of date jeans. Lord help us!

March 15, 2014 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  5. Me

Maybe he has chicken legs and needs looser jeans so he doesn't look like he's wearing bell bottoms with the tighter pair. People will really find something to bash anyone about. Sheesh.

March 15, 2014 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  6. 68billsfan

Shouldn't Obama be doing something about the 95% of chemical weapons that Syria still has, or something about the ongoing progress Iran is making on nuclear weapons? Instead he distracts the attention to the fit of his jeans. Real leadersp (sic).

March 15, 2014 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  7. Johnjon

as if Palin knows what equivocate and bloviate means.

March 15, 2014 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  8. StopObama

Impeach Obama, he is bad for USA and for American people

March 15, 2014 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  9. Dar

Then stop acting like a sissy and people might stop calling you out on little things, like the sissy jeans you wear.
    If Obama wants to act like a sissy then maybe he should just wear a skirt.....you know, come out of the closet so to speak. It is what it is.

March 15, 2014 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  10. ned

People care about what other people wear?

March 15, 2014 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  11. barbara

He could always issue an executive order making it a crime to make fun of his jeans.

March 15, 2014 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  12. Maturin

I'm with Sarah Palin on this one. I want a president who wrestles bears, drills for oil, and puts his critics in jail.

March 15, 2014 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  13. liberal disease

with everything going on in the world, and Obama care crashing this is what is on this simpletons mind Jeans ?

March 15, 2014 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  14. Houndhelper

I think the bigger question here is who cares what a loser / quitter / idiot like Sarah Palin has to say? She's in no position to criticize anyone.

March 15, 2014 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  15. Reddog9500

They're JEANS for crissakes! This isn't a FREAKING FASHION SHOW! At least he didn't wear them down below his butt with the pant legs dragging on the ground.

March 15, 2014 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  16. Joe

I don't care what he wears. I can't stand him. He's a poor excuse for a POTUS and I'm sick of hearing him whine and blame others.

March 15, 2014 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  17. The Realist

Crimea – Ukraine, etc. going on right now and we're talking about jeans and doing interviews with Ryan Seacrest? Good Lord man – be a leader for ONCE!

March 15, 2014 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  18. markfromdover

Sarah Palin always has to repeat something someone else said. No original thought in that brain!

March 15, 2014 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  19. Chris Asking Question

He's the President of the United States. Why is he wearing jeans in a public setting anyway? Shouldn't he be wearing something a little more "presidential", say some dress pants?

March 15, 2014 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  20. Ed

Next time just show up in yellow skinny jeans and make everyone mad.

March 15, 2014 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  21. tbone

To be very honest, its very refreshing to see him wear something else other than a suit and tie and dress shirt everyday and it shows at least he is trying to resemble the average person. Presidents and rich people should be allowed to have a dress down day even on the job. Looks good in those jeans and fleece along with the sneaks. Probally got good tips from Michelle too in what kind of jeans to get.

March 15, 2014 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  22. RespectYourself

Equivocates? Bloviates? Did someone buy a dictionary for Sarah Palin? Those are mighty big words coming from someone who can't even name a single newspaper.

March 15, 2014 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  23. Socalmcgraw

In the pile of GOP stones to throw at Obama, this must mean they are almost out. Then again, Obama should have just let it go. And why does CNN think it's significant topic worthy.....I know, the weekends are basically a new blackout from anything really significant to report. Good grief. Why do I read these things and respond.....I need help.

March 15, 2014 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  24. Mark

"You never know what kind of curveballs life throws at you."
    You got that right. Life threw us this very under-qualified Obama.

March 15, 2014 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  25. KnightofMalta

There his jeans, who in their sane mind really cares? I am a conservative, but I could care less about what jeans he wheres. I just want him to make good foreign policy and make sure we are respected. Whatever Jeans he wears I do not care. Sure, Putins made a good image of himself for the things he enjoys doing, but heck did Margeret Thatcher hardly did any "tough looking" sports or leisure activity yet she earned the nickname "Iron Lady".

Seriously people, his jeans don't matter.

March 15, 2014 08:59 am at 8:59 am |