Hillary Clinton's career in the spotlight
March 18th, 2014
4 months ago

Hillary Clinton must once again win over some in Jewish community

Washington (CNN) – Flanked by Jewish politicians in front of the United Nations on a July day, then-Sen. Hillary Clinton made a forceful appeal for the United States to back Israel as the Jewish nation's forces squared off against Hezbollah during the 2006 Lebanon War.

"We will stand with Israel because Israel is standing for American values as well as Israeli ones," said Clinton.

FULL POST

Filed under: 2016 • Faith • Hillary Clinton
  1. Rudy NYC

After having found myself on the receiving end of Jewish bigotry, I have good reason to dislike Israel...so I ignore it.

March 18, 2014 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Sniffit

$10 says the GOP/Teatrolls take this as evidence that their Benghazi delusions are "working" and a cue to start ramping up a more "war on terror" line of attack and its attendant demagoguery of Muslims, perhaps with a dash of "we're better friends to Israel because we just take their side in negotiations with the Palestinians no matter what."

March 18, 2014 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. salty dog

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I see the gop party as the work of the devil, they worship money, not God. They take apart Scripture they don't like, and ignore the obvious message of helping the less fortunate, and sick . How they view themselves as anything less is disturbing, they put so much concerted effort into denying rights to those they hate.

March 18, 2014 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

Sniffit

-------------------------
    There's a lot of truth buried within all of the cynical sarcasm. Every sitting U.S. Presdient since the 1967 war has found ways to limit, discourage, or restrict the development of settlements in the West Bank. That all changed under George W. Bush, who simply turned a blind winking eye to everything that Israel wanted to do. Everything. And now, Pres. Obama is having to deal with the petulant child that the current hard line Israeli government has become.

March 18, 2014 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. S.B. Stein

There needs to be support for Israel from the US because Israel is very much like the US. They follow the rule of law; no leader is above the law.

@Rudy NYC - what was the "Jewish bigotry" that you were on the receiving end of? It wasn't clear. Have you compared Israel to the Arab/Islamic world around Israel in terms of use of rule of law and human rights violations? How often is a church allowed to go up in Saudi Arabia vs. Israel just as an example?

March 18, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. Wake up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Me too Rudy. I have nothing against them, but apparently they have something against those that look like me. As I say to them, Join the crowd dude, many people hate us for no reason at all. It seems to me, them going through something similar to what my people went through would make us kindred spirits of sorts. I couldn't have been more wrong.

March 18, 2014 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

salty dog

--------------------------–
    If you're referring to a Christian God, then I would suppose that it depends upon the flavor of your Christianity. Personally, I find the Old Testament to be shockingly violent and emotionally disturbing. The behavior that you describe is very reminiscent to me of the teachings and behaviors in the Old Testament.

March 18, 2014 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. salty dog

Isreal has watched our politics, and when they seen how corrupt the bush was, they took advantage of it, and they call Obama weak.

March 18, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  9. tom l

@Rudy
    ======

Please elaborate.

March 18, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  10. Wake up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I don't know what Rudy went through but mine was concerning employment. I was unemployed and searching online and the newspapers everyday. I found a listing for a job that sounded perfect for me. I called and had a phone interview. (Mind you I do not sound like I look over the phone). They were really excited and asked me when I would be able to start and I said ASAP. My appointment was the next day. I just knew I had the job. I walked in and everyone got nervous. I told them who I was and what I was there for. I was told to have a seat. A few minutes later a gentleman came out and told me the position had already been filled. The funny thing is, I saw the very same ad the next week.

March 18, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  11. Bill from GA

S.B. Stein – "... Israel ... follow the rule of law; no leader is above the law"

Maybe we should loan them some surveyors along with the weapons. They don't seem to recognize agreed-to boundaries.

One of my best friends is Jewish; couldn't ask for a better friend. His Jewish parents are among the nicest people I know.

March 18, 2014 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

S.B. Stein

@Rudy NYC – what was the "Jewish bigotry" that you were on the receiving end of? It wasn't clear. Have you compared Israel to the Arab/Islamic world around Israel in terms of use of rule of law and human rights violations? How often is a church allowed to go up in Saudi Arabia vs. Israel just as an example?
    -----------------------–
    Repeated acts of violence committed by adults between the ages of 5 and 6. No one was punished, except for myself and the other kids who were also beaten up. What did we do? Exactly what the courts told us to do, attend a school where we were not welcome.

March 18, 2014 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  13. Bill from GA

" Jewish leaders said Clinton's once-consistent, outspoken leadership on Israel was hamstrung by her role as Obama's top diplomat. "

I hope if (God Forbid) Hillary is the Dem choice for Prez (meaning, likely our next President) she will again recognize that our interests and Israel's are not ALWAYS the same. Campaigning, I'm sure she'll promise them the Moon and the Stars.

March 18, 2014 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. Bill from GA

" Clinton wrote that while she was "a long-time advocate for crippling sanctions against Iran," now was the time to "do everything we can to test whether they can advance a permanent solution." "

That's right mature of ol Hillary. As if she recognizes that we have to get along with, and show some respect for, all nations and their people. Israel is in a tough spot, figuratively and geographically, but we can't treat the nation of Israel differently at the expense of others in the area, when there is a chance for peaceful solutions to the area's problems.

Not sure, but it seems the Arab (I know, Iran is not Arab) world and the USA got along OK until the 60's. We have much to work toward. They want a higher standard of living and we (the Western World) want oil. Let's get this religion mess out of the way and move on.

I knew some Iranians once. One, the most religious (Muslim), was a really good person. The Iranian owner of the company was pretty cool. A couple of the (Iranian) workers were TOTAL SOB's. A lot like us. I don't trust their government much, but I (and they) don't trust ours all that much, either.

March 18, 2014 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  15. Sniffit

"They follow the rule of law"

They do? There happens to be a whole bunch of "rules of law" about those 1967 borders, regardless of whatever good or bad, lame or meritorious justifications Israel tries to offer for their occupying settlements...and regardless of the US's or other countries' willingness to turn a blind eye to their violations. Want to tell us all about how those "rules of law" have been and are being followed?

March 18, 2014 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  16. Rudy NYC

"... They were really excited and asked me when I would be able to start and I said ASAP. My appointment was the next day. I just knew I had the job. I walked in and everyone got nervous. I told them who I was and what I was there for. I was told to have a seat. A few minutes later a gentleman came out and told me the position had already been filled. The funny thing is, I saw the very same ad the next week."
    ----------------------------
    Been there and done that several times. What happened to me a half dozen others was depsicable, and should ended with convictions and jail time for the adults that were involved. In other words, there were no convictions, which means there are no records of it anywhere. I learned what swept under rug meant at the age of 5.

I was bussed to a public school, which was attended almost exclusively by Jewish children., to attend first grade. At the end of the day, the buses would first take home all of the Jewish kids, leaving a dozen 5 and 6 years old wandering around the school yard unsupervised. This left time for students from a nearby middle school to come by and administer curfew.

We complained, and nothing happened. We got beaten up some more, complained some more, and nothing happened. We took matters into our own hands. The middle school chased us, and we led them into an ambush. WHACK. WHACK. We used weapons: sticks and stones. The middle schoolers, aged 12-15 ran home, and came back with the available parents, who then beat us up. This went on for a week. I don't know why it finally stopped and a bus began showing up on time.

March 18, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. Wake up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

OMG Rudy!! How terrible. I'm glad you and the other children were ok. Did you happen to catch the documentary this weekend on PBS? Your story reminds me a little of little Ruby Bridges.

Isn't it amazing that nothing is ever done?

March 18, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. katy melius

He failed at getting elected. So, there's that.

March 18, 2014 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. pennylou42

For all you folks that think Romney is the second coming, you should rethink this. He was my governor when I lived in Mass. and he was a piece of crap. We're very lucky he was not elected president. He lied about almost everything he said in his campaign. Why should his views now be taken seriously now??

March 18, 2014 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  20. Abbey

Democrats are hoping once again the Jewish vote follows their candidate. This time however, between the Obama and Clinton blunders in the Middle East it won't translate into votes.

March 18, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  21. Abbey

Romney was right all along.....shame on those Low Information Voters for getting fooled by Obama and Clinton

March 18, 2014 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. tom l

Rudy,
    Sorry that happened to you. Nobody deserves that type of treatment and it bums me out that it happened and formed your perception the way it did. Totally understandable for you to feel that way I would just hope that you can understand that not every Jew is like that and most would most likely be disgusted by your experience.

March 18, 2014 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  23. Not gonna happen

Romney got spanked in the presidential election, because he is a wealthy, spoiled, clueless elitist. Even the conservatives couldn't stomach him. He has raped other companies with his own company, causing the loss of hundreds of thousands of middle class jobs, and though he set up Massachusetts with a healthcare system, he would not talk about it as he tried to defeat Obama based on the idea that he would gut Obamacare as soon as he got into office. Those who lived in Massachusetts at the time he was governor are of the opinion that he was a pretty pathetic governor. I have nothing against conservative candidates. Liberal and conservatives working to gain the advantage in an election are the American way. what I do have something against is a man who clearly is self-serving, and could not care less about most Americans. The best thing he could do right now is be quiet. As he talks, he must be getting very used to the taste of shoe leather. He just can't seem to keep his feet out of his mouth.

March 18, 2014 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. LogicRules

Does Romney work..ever? This tough-guy perspective coming from a man who skipped out on Vietnam, while openly petitioning suport to keep the U.S. in Vietnam, then had to take off to a castle in France until the end of the war, knowing that he might actually serve. The classic chicken hawk, we would be lining in the Ukraine for our next GOP war if we had yahoos like Romney leading the country.

March 18, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. smith

@Rudy- I dealt with schoolyard bullying and violence at the hands of white kids and black kids, but I don"t dislike the entire group of people because of what some did. Just my 2 cents.

March 18, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |